What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Origin Grade Players?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Sad, that with a 21 man iniital squad not one WT player can get a look in. I'd have thought Lawrence was close and Galloway if not injured. Maybe Farah is marked second to Ennis and will never get another opportunity unless Ennis is out injured.

Pity there isnt a NZ SOO team- we'd at least have Marshall in it.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
ah well, more worn out players for everyone else.

Disappointing as it is, it can only auger well for a tigers team building momentum

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Not having any Origin players is hardly anything to be envious of. I'd love for the selectors not to have picked 5 Saints players for NSW and 2 for QLD.

This series can kill your season if you've got a lot involved.

Conversely, Wests can go into every game fresh & with a good preparation behind them. You can really put some points in the bank over the next month & set yourselves up nicely.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Not having any Origin players is hardly anything to be envious of. I'd love for the selectors not to have picked 5 Saints players for NSW and 2 for QLD.

This series can kill your season if you've got a lot involved.

Conversely, Wests can go into every game fresh & with a good preparation behind them. You can really put some points in the bank over the next month & set yourselves up nicely.

Yeah it's not a good look when you're trying to sign players though, when you are looked at as a club that selectors ignore.

super_coach

First Grade
The most over hyped three games of the season. I would prefer to see the tigers vrs the sharks at Bore park than go to a SOO match. Let our boys enjoy a few days R and R and come home like a train rather than get smashed up in a rubbish game

simmo1

First Grade
Ellis and Marshall are easily Origin quality, but obviously can't be picked.

Galloway is injured, and may have got a look in if fit (but thats unlikely given the selectors).

Farah, Tuqiri and Lawrence can count themselves a little bit unlucky, and none would be out of place in Origin.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
St George- Illawarra – placed 1 on table
Matt Cooper (NSW)
Ben Creagh (NSW)
Brett Morris (NSW)
Beau Scott (NSW)
Michael Weyman (NSW)
Darius Boyd (QLD)
Neville Costigan (QLD)

Penrith – placed 2 on table
Luke Lewis (NSW)
Trent Waterhouse (NSW)

Souths – placed 3 on table
Dave Taylor (QLD)

Manly– placed 4 on table
Jason King (NSW)

WT – placed 5 on table
BUPKIS - NADA - NOTHING

Gold Coast – placed 6 on table
Ashley Harrison (QLD)

Brisbane – placed 7 on table
Darren Lockyer (QLD)
Sam Thaiday (QLD)
Jharal Yow Yeh (QLD)
Israel Folau (QLD)

Parra– placed 8 on table
Jarryd Hayne (NSW)
Nathan Hindmarsh (NSW)
Timana Tahu (NSW)

Roosters – placed 9 on table
Mitchell Pearce (NSW)
Nate Myles (QLD)

Canberra – placed 10 on table
Josh Dugan (NSW)
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (NSW)
Dave Shillington (QLD)

NZ Warriors – placed 11 on table
BUPKIS - NADA - NOTHING

Knights– placed 12 on table
Kurt Gidley (NSW)

Cronulla - placed 13 on table
Trent Barrett (NSW)
Paul Gallen (NSW)

Bulldogs– placed 14 on table
Michael Ennis (NSW)
Jamal Idris (NSW)
Ben Hannant (QLD)

N Qld – placed 15 on table
Luke O’Donnell (NSW)
Johnathan Thurston (QLD)
Willie Tonga (QLD)
Matthew Scott (QLD)

Melbourne– placed 16 on table
Brett White (NSW)
Billy Slater (QLD)
Cameron Smith (QLD)
Cooper Cronk (QLD)
Greg Inglis (QLD)

There is something though to the continued inability of WT players to get representative honours (beyond city- country & NZ). It has been a long standing difficulty going back to the days of later Balmain and Magpies. Everybody deserves a shot if they play well enough. What do WT players have to do? Go elsewhere?

gronkathon

First Grade
So it's us & The Warriors with nobody picked. Considering Price would have been a shoe in if fit and playing it makes you really wonder.

Das Hassler

Bench
Never had any in '05 either if i remember...Lawrence for sure but also Heighington should be given a go...he'd be a good fit for SOO

BALMAINBOY

Juniors
Laurie Daley is a joke! The guy obviously has his favourites. Whats he doing putting Dugan in? He is talented but in my opinion too young! And why would you still go with White, Cooper, Tahu and Ennis? I'd go with Mannah, Lawerence, J Morris and Farah instead. And if Galloway wasnt injured he should be a shoe in!

jasonl

Juniors
Lawrence would be a perfect fit for SOO. Heighington deseves consideration on stats alone and Farrah has many more points in him than Ennis.

If Daley and Co don't want to pick em so what?

Let em stay with dead wood like Cooper and Gidley (honestly, how this genius continues to be picked (and at Captain!) is one of the great mysteries of the Universe. Probably slipping his mate Joey a length in the sheds).

And NSW will do what they always do ...

... lose.

N.C.

Juniors
Does Farah get a look in for three when we're down to five-zip? Or do we give Ennis all the chances that Farah never had?

BALMAINBOY

Juniors
I rekon they should just stay with Ennis.....cause they keep picking the wrong team anyway, let Ennis show the selectors how sh*t he is. And next year when Gus Gould comes back as coach, Farah will be back showing em how its done!!!

andrew9148

Juniors
Whose top 20 players would u swap for ours? Dragons? who else? Dont count storm as they are cheats. f**k Origin. Its about the Tigers

simmo1

First Grade
Lawrence would be a perfect fit for SOO. Heighington deseves consideration on stats alone and Farrah has many more points in him than Ennis.

If Daley and Co don't want to pick em so what?

Let em stay with dead wood like Cooper and Gidley (honestly, how this genius continues to be picked (and at Captain!) is one of the great mysteries of the Universe. Probably slipping his mate Joey a length in the sheds).

And NSW will do what they always do ...

... lose.

Because it may affect future recruitment. Players may be less likely to come to the Tigers if they believe they will be less likely to play Origin.

I just don't understand how the selectors can go past Fitzhenry.. He's been so great for us over the years... Especially last year. I think he played his best for us then.

But on a serious note...Lawrence, Fifita, Dwyer, may have their chance in a year or 4.

Galloway seems to always be unlucky with injuries to get a look in, and Lote i think should of been called up, but the QLD backline is pretty damn good as is.

Which only leaves Farah... Ennis just talks himself up and everyone just seems to buy it.. He has some pretty good moments in attack at times, but he doesnt come near Farah in terms of defence and creativity. Its the little things Farah does that goes unnoticed by most, but them things are the reason i wouldn't swap him for anyone in the game...

Let NSW have Ennis...it will put his price tag up which means the dogs will be spending more money on him than his worth, which is probably one of the reasons they will get the "unofficial" wooden spoon this year.

Sad, that with a 21 man iniital squad not one WT player can get a look in. I'd have thought Lawrence was close and Galloway if not injured. Maybe Farah is marked second to Ennis and will never get another opportunity unless Ennis is out injured.

Pity there isnt a NZ SOO team- we'd at least have Marshall in it.

Lawrence should be there over at least 3 of the 4 centres they picked in the squad.

Farah will be there next year when we have a new coach. Almost every coach would have Farah over Ennis and i am sure the new NSW coach will be no different.

I think Bellamy believes Farah is the better player but feels that Farah let him down in game 2 last year. Looking back on it Farah was injured and should of pulled out. Ennis with that pack and halves in game 2 last year would have done nothing.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
I dont see the huge problem.

End of the day we have a lot of guys who are just 1 place off really.

As well as that 2 of our best 3 players play for either NZ or England.

1) Tuquiri is very close.
2) Farah is clearly the next in line, but has had his chance and didnt take it. Ennis unfortunately hasnt done anyhing wrong (or right), so will keep his place. If NSW lose this game, id be suprised if Farah wasnt the hooker.
3) Galloway would of gone very close but was injured.
4) Lawrence would of been in the mix again, but there are so many centres out there its hard to pick 2.
5) Heighington, im sorry but he is not of an origin standard. All the effort all the heart, but how many times does the guy run at the advantage line and bend it back. Good player but not origin worthy