What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No plea in Laffranchi rape case

Carlito

Juniors
meltiger said:
Oh I just found it interesting mate, I'm sure at one point in time Victoria had the Child Protection Unit, which focussed solely on crimes against children. Would have thought NSW would have a dedicated outfit as well. Obviously not.

& Gunna is right, if they haven't even been presented with their copy of the Brief Of Evidence, no point pleading either way yet.

Pretty sure they disbanded all crime squads in NSW a couple of years ago under Peter Ryan.

El Diablo

Post Whore

perverse

Referee
Steel Dragon said:
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/laffranchi-enters-no-plea-in-rape-case/2007/03/27/1174761427840.html

No plea in Laffranchi rape case

Les Kennedy | March 27, 2007 - 10:30AM

Fresh from playing in last night's NRL win over Cronulla, Gold Coast Titans forward Anthony Barry Laffranchi, has faced a Sydney court this morning charged with rape.
Laffranchi, dressed in a black business suit, white shirt and pink tie, stood silent at the back of Burwood Local Court during his brief appearance before the registrar, during which he entered no plea.
The former Wests Tigers player is charged with one count of sexual intercourse without consent - rape - upon a 26-year-old woman he allegedly met during 'Mad Monday' end-of-season celebrations last year.
Police allege the rape took place in a Five Dock unit belonging to another Tigers player, Ryan O'Hara, in the early hours of September 4 after celebrations by Wests Tigers players in Kings Cross the previous night.
Laffranchi's appearance was his first before the courts to answer the charge which was laid on Tuesday March 6 by detectives from the Child Protection and Serious Sex Crimes Squad who investigated the allegation.
During his appearance before the registrar today police were granted a non-publication order regarding the identity of the alleged victim.
Despite Laffranchi saying in media interviews following his charging that he would vigorously defend the charges, his counsel entered no plea on his behalf today.
Laffranchi was granted continuing police bail and excused from appearing when the case comes back to Burwood Local Court on May 23 for mention.
Laffranchi further declined to comment when he left the court swamped by media cameras and reporters.
i'm going off the first post of the thread. it suggests, and is obviously alluding to the fact that laffranchi has appeared in court to defend allegations of rape against himself - and has not provided a plea at this time.

of course it could be more media sensationalism.. i'm just calling it as i see it - or rather as it's being told to me. i gave my opinion, and you disagree.. i can respect that.

borat

Bench
Its a fair enough question El D. But I think its more to do with Laffranchi's legal team advising him to enter no plea at this time than enything else

El Diablo

Post Whore
it's not only his legal team. at some stage the courts will require a plea.

till then there's no point saying anything imo

juanfarkall

Coach
Just to add some levity to a serious situation....

If Laffranchi was to dump League and play AFL instead, he could probably plead guilty and get a fine/slap on the wrist...

[furrycat]

Coach
juanfarkall said:
Just to add some levity to a serious situation....

If Laffranchi was to dump League and play AFL instead, he could probably plead guilty and get a fine/slap on the wrist...

Errr maybe from the AFL- but he'd be in jail...

You don't get a slap on the wrist for sexual assault.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21343250-2722,00.html

Titans sour with Tigers' attitude to Laffranchi
GOLD COAST management is seething at being left to deal with the fall-out from Anthony Laffranchi's sexual assault case after Wests Tigers officials refused to address the incident yesterday.
"It's part of a legal case and, as I said yesterday, it is inappropriate to comment on any part of it," Noyce said.
"We've always said you've got to respect the system and take one step at a time.
"I'm happy to talk about that down the track but not at the moment."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21454746-5001021,00.html

Laffranchi in court over sex

GOLD Coast Titans player Anthony Barry Laffranchi this morning faced court for the first time charged with having sexual intercourse without consent.
He was supported by West Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce and made a hasty exit without making any comments to media outside court.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21781016-2702,00.html

NRL player's rape case adjourned for one month

* May 23, 2007

A RAPE case against NRL player Anthony Laffranchi has been adjourned until next month after a brief mention in a Sydney court.

The Gold Coast Titans player was excused from appearing at Burwood Local Court today.

Laffranchi, who played for Wests Tigers last year, has been charged with one count of sexual intercourse without consent with a 26-year-old woman in September last year.

The woman told police she might have been sexually assaulted on September 4 in a unit at Five Dock, in Sydney's inner-west, which was linked to Wests Tigers players.

It's alleged she went to the unit with a number of people she had met at a Kings Cross nightclub the previous evening, during the Wests Tigers' end-of-season celebration.

Laffranchi was charged on March 6 by detectives from the Child Protection and Sex Crime Squad.

Magistrate Jane Mottley today adjourned the matter until June 27 to allow time for additional statements, including phone intercepts, to be presented.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Certainly puts things with Todd Carney in perspective for the raiders
its a very serious allergation made agianst him, its a credit to him that he has been playing such good footy with this going on.

innsaneink

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Certainly puts things with Todd Carney in perspective for the raiders
its a very serious allergation made agianst him, its a credit to him that he has been playing such good footy with this going on.

How?

Raider_69

Post Whore
well some people ive spoken to, and some comments ive read about Todd have been calling for him to be sacked and de-registered for driving offences essentially, driving unlicensed and avading police, whilst Anthony Laffranchi has been charged for rape and plays on each week with no fuss.

Same could be said for Wes Naqauima (spelling)

nqboy

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
well some people ive spoken to, and some comments ive read about Todd have been calling for him to be sacked and de-registered for driving offences essentially, driving unlicensed and avading police, whilst Anthony Laffranchi has been charged for rape and plays on each week with no fuss.

Same could be said for Wes Naqauima (spelling)
IIRC, at the time this broke, I think Laffranchi indicated that he considered it consensual, thus throwing considerable doubt on the likely outcome. There doesn't seem much doubt in Carney's case. Or Wes'.

Simo

First Grade
Magistrate Jane Mottley today adjourned the matter until June 27 to allow time for additional statements, including phone intercepts, to be presented.

I found this statement interesting.....I wonder if it took so long for him to be charged because they had his phones tapped waiting for him to say something incriminating??

Or vice versa and waiting for her to spill the beans to a friend over the phone???

Anyone have any idea what that would be about?

El Diablo

Post Whore
i found this more interesting

The woman told police she might have been sexually assaulted on September 4 in a unit at Five Dock, in Sydney's inner-west, which was linked to Wests Tigers players.

so did someone other than herself decide she was :?

Simo

First Grade
Yeah that was strange....I rememeber when it originally broke she said something along the lines of she wasnt sure if she was rapped and she thought she was drugged but tests indicated there was no date rape drugs in her system.

There must be some evidence if the cops actually charged her, her word against his if she openly admits she doesnt know (i.e. she cant remember) if she was raped or not could not possibly win in a 'who do you believe' case.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Interesting the way people have reacted to this in comparison to Carney's. This is by far the more serious offence, yet there is no one demanding he be sacked. Both have not been proven guilty. Nice double standards.

KempoKnight

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Interesting the way people have reacted to this in comparison to Carney's. This is by far the more serious offence, yet there is no one demanding he be sacked. Both have not been proven guilty. Nice double standards.

oh f**k off its double standards, carney went into the police station and confessed you maggot where as laffranchi is defending himself against these charges.

so what can we summerise from this?
Todd Carney is guilty, he admitted it himself
Laffranchi is defending these charges therefore he is innocent until proven guilty.

Some of the logic people use on these forums absolutely astounds me....:crazy: