What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No salary cap whatsoever - would it be so bad?

Black Majik

Juniors
enough for JT with them alone. 480k+ upgrade cap + 3rd party
...with Jennings gone and Penrith's ability to offer JT a contract of 680+ upgrade cap + 3rd party + a job after footy.

You see, most clubs can offer exactly what the Bulldog's can offer (maybe more). Your posts are beginning to sound desperate.

natheel

Coach
...with Jennings gone and Penrith's ability to offer JT a contract of 680+ upgrade cap + 3rd party + a job after footy.

You see, most clubs can offer exactly what the Bulldog's can offer (maybe more). Your posts are beginning to sound desperate.

Beginning to sound desperate? Man he has been desperate since post 1

Peter_phelps

Juniors
The fact that Corey payne suddenly just left, has JT bells around it. Doubt they will re-sign Hodkinson as well, Des didn't keep him when he was at Manly to begin with.

ek999

First Grade
It's not that Manly didn't want him. They did offer him a contract. They just didn't think he was worth what the Bulldogs were willing to pay (and rightfully so).

franklin2323

Immortal
Well with the cap increase in 2013 to spend still to benefit our upgrading, along with the increase for 2014. The third party sponsors available, i'd imagine that Hodkinson on a reported 280k (though people try to claim 300k+ and Keating on a reported 200k should cover enough for JT with them alone. 480k+ upgrade cap + 3rd party.

Though in saying that still plenty of money to spend. With blokes like Pritchard who was reported to be our biggest paid player at 400k (prior to Tony Williams) off contract, Halatau & Turner likely to retire or move on and wouldn't be on peanuts.

Tolman who I hope like hell we retain, Eastwood who I think it would be fair to say he is on 200k as an international.

Plenty to spend, it's just what Des want's to do after his first year I don't think the club will argue with him. In saying that if JT wants to stay up north then it won't matter will it, though if he wants to come back to Sydney! Sure will be interesting seeing he has already one title with the Dogs and has been seen at the club recently and both halfs off contract and plenty to pay him.

:lol::lol::lol: You will need atleast $1m a season to get him. I don't think he will leave anyway. We lost an $800k centre to clear space for him.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The fact that Corey payne suddenly just left, has JT bells around it. Doubt they will re-sign Hodkinson as well, Des didn't keep him when he was at Manly to begin with.

They'll need that cash to retain Reynolds, that should be the dogs first priority, the kids a gun and has big career ahead of him.

DoggiesBro

Juniors

I agree most clubs can offer what the Dogs can as far as money.

I was simply pointing out the Dogs can EASILY pay the 1mil a year he desires.

It's only geniuss who denie it. Tolman, Pritchard, Eastwood, Halatau, Turner, Keating, Hodkinson, cap increase, 3rd party. It is clearly an option for them to throw as much money as anyone.

However the club is ran by some of the best in the buisness and will do what is best for the club. I don't think anyone with a brain would dispute Hodkinson and Keating would come close to 500k together. Thats half there without cap increase, 3rd party or even looking at Pritchard, Tolman, Eastwood, Halatau and Turners contracts...

The thing you have left out though and it was reported today as well if you look round that "Thurston has indicated that should he leave the Cowboys and head back to Sydney that the Dogs are his first choice due to the very real chance of a few more titles".

Panthers can't offer anything like that. It's why i've said a few times if he decides he wants to head south we are the most likely. Cowboys are a huge chance for a title. Though if he wants to head back to Sydney then we are clearly the best chance of that and can match any contract if the club wish too.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Matt Scott to re-sign with the Cowboys.

Another one missed out on by eels.

What is that number 30 in the past season? Tamou, Bird, T Williams, Jennings, Folau, Hock, Tamaloloa, Gagai, Lewis, Jeremy Smith, Te'o, SBW lol. List goes on.

Talk about recruiting they have tried to buy everyone and noone will go there. No wonder they are so sh1t. The only players they can buy are washed up hacks or overrated nobodies, the odd kid who has a bit of skill gets bought e.g Lussick/Harrison and they are way overpaid and will end up regretting the move. :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

bellyache

Bench

It's only geniuss who denie it. Tolman, Pritchard, Eastwood, Halatau, Turner, Keating, Hodkinson, cap increase, 3rd party. It is clearly an option for them to throw as much money as anyone.

However the club is ran by some of the best in the buisness and will do what is best for the club. I don't think anyone with a brain would dispute Hodkinson and Keating would come close to 500k together. Thats half there without cap increase, 3rd party or even looking at Pritchard, Tolman, Eastwood, Halatau and Turners contracts...

The thing you have left out though and it was reported today as well if you look round that "Thurston has indicated that should he leave the Cowboys and head back to Sydney that the Dogs are his first choice due to the very real chance of a few more titles".

Panthers can't offer anything like that. It's why i've said a few times if he decides he wants to head south we are the most likely. Cowboys are a huge chance for a title. Though if he wants to head back to Sydney then we are clearly the best chance of that and can match any contract if the club wish too.
:lol::lol: If you think the Dogs have any room left in their cap you are deluded Bro, BTW the dogs will not make the GF in 2013! Grahams gone for 12 weeks and T rex is a myth. They got through on a game plan without halves in 2012, it won't work in 2013....

Last edited:

Bob

Juniors
:lol::lol: If you think the Dogs have any room left in their cap you are deluded Bro, BTW the dogs will not make the GF in 2012! Grahams gone for 12 weeks and T rex is a myth. They got through on a game plan without halves in 2012, it won't work in 2013....
Sorry to tell you this but they did...idiot:lol:

bellyache

Bench

What is that number 30 in the past season? Tamou, Bird, T Williams, Jennings, Folau, Hock, Tamaloloa, Gagai, Lewis, Jeremy Smith, Te'o, SBW lol. List goes on.

Talk about recruiting they have tried to buy everyone and noone will go there. No wonder they are so sh1t. The only players they can buy are washed up hacks or overrated nobodies, the odd kid who has a bit of skill gets bought e.g Lussick/Harrison and they are way overpaid and will end up regretting the move. :lol::lol::lol:
WTF? You had to edit that crap... Eels will beat the Dogs in 2013!:lol::lol:

natheel

Coach

Scott hasn't resigned yet ya wanker. he is just predicting. and yes no secret we have missed out on signings and yes no secret its due to our lowly placed season recently. but hopefully that will change.

natheel

Coach

so you;re saying you would be happy to lose ALL these players to accomodate Thurston...? i know i wouldn't. Can get halfs that are less value who would thrive under des

plus i'm almost certain if you guys get thurston you will lose Reynolds. he won't have a chance with Thurston there. Des will most likely keep Hodko with thurston at 6.

TBH i was thinking JT would go to Penrith but the more i think of it i think he will stay up in NQ especially with Tamou re-signing and the depth and great squad they're building up there, they're close to a premiership than most peopl think. I dare say they may even get one before the Dogs

A few more titles? even IF they win 1 their team will be decimated by the cap as most players value go up a bit on top of them making the GF last season.

Apart from Melbourne and to a lesser extent Manly no team has been dominant for so many years because of the cap. So Dogs to win a few more titles won't happen.

Last edited:

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Old natheel, you've been on ignore but some of your posts i've seen since taking you off are gold. Your a funny guy.

You are truely scared of the Dogs and so you should be. The eels are a joke. To bag the panthers is a joke when your club is in a far worse situation then theres. They have lost some stars (they had some to lose) pawwamatta have nothing outside of Hayne. He might do the runna himself if ricky tells him he doesn't rate him a fullback like he did in origin for the past few years.

Panthers are rebuilding, they have added FAR better players to their roster then the eels this year with Sika, Brown, Whare, Sereyago just off the top of my head. Who is pawwas prize recruit? They went for about 20 and landed Lussick. He will be a great help for Sandow!

If you seriously think the Dogs are going to have to let go Reynolds to add JT you really are clutching badly.

You asked would I let all those players go. Why would I? There is no need. Merely pointing out that there is PLENTY of money available to land whoever the club wants. Provided the player wants to join them. With Des & the club going forward i'd imagine most would prefer to.

You might hate the idea of it, you might say it won't happen. Though there is comments today as I said stating someone close to the deal is saying IF he leaves the Cowboys his preference is to go to the Dogs PURELY because he sees them as a genuine title chance. Why wouldn't he. Morris, Barba, Tony Williams, Kasiano, Perrett, Inu, Graham, Ennis ALL under contract for a couple seasons at least. Great kids coming through and a few of them wrapped up already.

It also says the Dogs are prepared to throw the 1 mil a year at him. Have a real think. Halatau, Turner won't be extended unless its for peanuts. They would be on a nice little pocket say 200k? Payne was on 160k as reported earlier... That is without discussing Hodkinson who you quote at 300k, I said it was reported and been said multiple times at 280k. Keating re-signed for a 2 year deal with 1 year in the clubs favour. He left the eels on 6 figures. He wouldn't of gone backwards.

That is PLENTY of money without even discussing the 3rd party, salary cap increase for 2013 and 2014. The club has already said they are not buying a replacement for Payne. That gives his amount, the cap increase for this year to extend people. An article on the Dogs & Thurston & Reynolds has stated the manager of Reynolds and the Dogs will sit down the DAY AFTER the new cap increase is all official. That means we could extend him this year, fatten up his pay packet alot and still upgrade his future years and works in our favour because its less to pay him in 2014. Same with some other youngsters i'd expect.

Then after all that we still have Pritchard who i'd think most would agree who has been great but is not a young player anymore, he is not hitting his prime and he is a forward. Someone who could be easily covered if lost by Tony Williams. Who is in his prime and under contract for years to come. He is on 400k reportedly our highest paid player outside of Tony Williams.

Eastwood, Tolman another two pretty well paid players that give us more options.

Realistically if we land JT it will be at the expense of Hodkinson, Keating, 3rd party, Salary cap increase for 2014.

Halatau & Turner move on for 2014 and the 2013 cap increase and Reynolds and a few other kids are easily covered for extensions. Tolman & Eastwood won't be demanding a huge upgrade and should also be easily covered.

I can understand why you find it so hard to understand. Though it's real easy. We don't have a halfback that is garbage at 500k. Hell Hodkinson & Keating together would be close. We don't have Hayne on 600k+ (yet to be extended), Hoppa coming on 700-800k+ and a bunch of other overrated hacks like Lussick on 200k+!

Last edited:

Latest posts