What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sh*t Sherlock !

Gronk

Staff member
Halfback one Eel of a problem for Parra

745524-parramatta-halfback-woes.jpg

Source: The Daily Telegraph

NO WONDER Parramatta boss Paul Osborne was prepared to write a $2 million cheque last week to sign Melbourne Storm star Cooper Cronk.

Parramatta haven't had a top-shelf halfback since Peter Sterling retired and they won't win a competition until they find one.

In the 18 years since Sterling wore the No. 7 jersey, the Eels have used a staggering 27 halfbacks.

Have a look at the list we publish today and ask yourself: is it any wonder it's been such a long and painful premiership drought?

How can a junior league nursery the size of Parramatta's not unearth one outstanding halfback in nearly two decades?

Daniel Mortimer is a fine young player but at this stage of his career is lacking the authority and confidence to steer the Eels around the park.

It's not his personality to bark orders or scream instructions to big names. On Saturday night the Roosters pairing of Mitch Pearce and Todd Carney carved up Mortimer and Jeff Robson.

The contest was about as one-sided as Danny Green versus Paul Briggs.

As a result Jarryd Hayne, Timana Tahu and Krisnan Inu got few opportunities.

With limited chances, Hayne became frustrated and too often moved into first receiver, throwing long passes to players in a position where he himself should have been charging to the ball.

Coach Daniel Anderson won't need a video analysis to work out why his team were flogged. They were simply beaten by a team that played with far more enthusiasm, passion and commitment.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...roblem-for-parra/story-e6frfgh6-1225899746155

Parra Steve

Juniors
Zzzz, we haven't had the parra hasn't had a great half since sterlo article fir awhile, another slow news day

84 Baby

Referee
How can a junior league nursery the size of Parramatta's not unearth one outstanding halfback in nearly two decades?
Better question is why in the same period has maybe 2 or 3 halfbacks unearthed in the entirety of NSW who can maybe be mentioned in the same book as Sterling (let alone the same page or sentence)

Still, realising how the Sloth works, I think he's heard more than some rumour about a signing and this story is just the beginning of a series to boost the ego of the Sloth ("I knew about this signing months ago, look how good I am, stick that up ya Gould"), put pressure on the incoming player ("Will you be able to perform better than this massive list?") and sell more papers (cause you put one Eels article in and every Parra fan will buy tomorrow's paper hoping for another one)

The Omen

Juniors
Phil Rothfield Sports Editor-at-large

coming through with the LARGE obvious story yet again ,
am pretty sure he has made this comment before about Parramatta so a re-hashed story .. great journalism

when will DA realise that others in the team can't play 3 spots to cover the halves ..well halfback as i think Robson is trying and does defend fairly well

Captain BF

Juniors
27 half backs in 18 years is nothing compared to our hookers. 28 since 1997 from my research. They are from most recent to oldest:
Matt Keating, Kris Keating, Jeff Robson, Kevin Kingston, Mark Riddell, Blake Green, PJ Marsh, John Morris, Marcus Perenara, Ian Henderson, Lee Hopkins, Shane Muspratt, Chris Thorman, Shayne Dunley, James Webster, Brad Drew, Nathan Hollingsworth, Daniel Irvine, Jym Dymock, Wade L'estrange, Dennis Moran, Dean Schifilliti, Jay Bandy, Brett Horsnell, Jamie Owens, Aaron Raper, Daniel Brown & Troy Campbell.

All those in 4 years less than the Sterling factor....

Forty20

First Grade
27 half backs in 18 years is nothing compared to our hookers. 28 since 1997 from my research. They are from most recent to oldest:
Matt Keating, Kris Keating, Jeff Robson, Kevin Kingston, Mark Riddell, Blake Green, PJ Marsh, John Morris, Marcus Perenara, Ian Henderson, Lee Hopkins, Shane Muspratt, Chris Thorman, Shayne Dunley, James Webster, Brad Drew, Nathan Hollingsworth, Daniel Irvine, Jym Dymock, Wade L'estrange, Dennis Moran, Dean Schifilliti, Jay Bandy, Brett Horsnell, Jamie Owens, Aaron Raper, Daniel Brown & Troy Campbell.

However, Parra under Brian Smith (and now beyond) were strong proponents of the two hooker approach which complicates the comparison somewhat.

We have had some devastating 9/14 combinations over the years and have hardly been starved for talent in the position unlike our number 7 drought.

Captain BF

Juniors
However, Parra under Brian Smith (and now beyond) were strong proponents of the two hooker approach which complicates the comparison somewhat.

We have had some devastating 9/14 combinations over the years and have hardly been starved for talent in the position unlike our number 7 drought.
hmmm.... i see your point, however i reckon we have only had 2 or 3 "devastating" partnerships, Marsh & Riddell, Drew & Marsh and Keating & Kingston did pretty well also...

Fathead

Bench

Ian Henderson !!! You cant count him, he only played 4 seconds !
Ah.. good list.. I loved watching Lee Hopkins ! I thought he was a great player !

Fathead

Bench
Also another thing - have a look at the photo above of sterlo or any of the photos of him. He has arms like matchsticks! Just shows you how the game today has become one of power. A halfback built like Trent Hodgkinson would be a front rower in those days !

Why haven't we had a great halfback since Sterlo?

I think Jason Taylor was our best in that period but i think i could have lead that team around the park in 2001.