What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Sydney based clubs in GF

Molly

Juniors
How would the NRL/Sydney public react to a GF with no Sydney based clubs involved?

IMO the AFL has grown as a commercialty attractive business on the back of bcoming a truly National game, and the last 2 (this will be 3 in a row) GF's featuring non Victorian clubs has had a huge influence in this perception growing, positviely impacting in their growing commercial appeal. (Think TV rights at least)

Does the NRL 'need' a non Sydney based GF to recapture an almost national appeal? Or is the League still seen as a predominately NSWRL plus a few invited guests?

Being a Storm fan, as well as a Sydney expat, perhaps my thoughts are a biased...but I spose everyones opinion is biased technically speaking...!

I think there is a great oppurtunity for the NRL coming up this weekend if both out of town sides get up.

GO STORM.

lockyno1

Post Whore
It will happen one of these years. Look at the AFL..last years GF was the most watched GF in years! That was from 2 out of Vic teams.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Whoever has the right players and coaches gets there, why should we make the comp biased towards non-sydney teams like AFL has done for non-AFL(especially Sydney and Brisbane).

Well, f**k the out of town sides is my opinion. I hope they both get their arses kicked.

I don't think it'll make much difference overall if the Broncos and Storm make the GF. People will watch the GF anyway, always have, always will.

What it will do is bump the figures up tremendously in Victoria and Qld. Any shortfall in Sydney will be well covered.

And if Melbourne do make it, it'll rate its arse off in Victoria.

Angry_eel said:
Whoever has the right players and coaches gets there, why should we make the comp biased towards non-sydney teams like AFL has done for non-AFL(especially Sydney and Brisbane).

Exactly.

The AFL are a cynical organisation who take their heartland fans for granted more than the NRL could ever do.

t-ba

Post Whore
If I didn't want Melbourne to choke horribly, I'd be going for a Non-NSW GF...

Steelers4eva

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Well, f**k the out of town sides is my opinion. I hope they both get their arses kicked.

I don't think it'll make much difference overall if the Broncos and Storm make the GF. People will watch the GF anyway, always have, always will.

What it will do is bump the figures up tremendously in Victoria and Qld. Any shortfall in Sydney will be well covered.

And if Melbourne do make it, it'll rate its arse off in Victoria.

Just like it did when they won the comp. :lol:

They love to call themselves the sporting capital of Australia but the insular morons will never fully embrace RL. They couldn't fill the ground for the Parramatta game while, in return Sydney will turn out about 60,000 tonight to watch the arial ping pong.

We know they'll have no representation in the AFL GF, wait until our guys put them out of their misery tomorrow night and they have no-one to cheer for in either code.

t-ba

Post Whore
The Last GF involving Melbourne had a very good TV Audience in Mexio S4E. Don't underestimate the bandwagon.

It'll be huge if they make it. AFL's 99 GF was an all-Melbourne affair too which can't happen this time. This will be all they have... lol

If the Storm bow out, Melbourne will officially be the worst major sporting capital city in Australia. Which is good, cos they suck.*

*excludes some Storm fans.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
t-ba said:
The Last GF involving Melbourne had a very good TV Audience in Mexio S4E. Don't underestimate the bandwagon.

Lets just falshback a moment shall we to evaluate whether they will ever embrace our great game. Storm won the comp and were then told, your game is not good enough for our states premier sporting facility. Soccer, Yes....Yawnion,Yes ...... Other special events (one can only guess what thats meant to mean?),yes.......But rugby league - get outta here. Like I said, nothing but insular morons.

Also 640,000 TV audience for a major event is not overly spectacular.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/stories/s71456.htm

t-ba

Post Whore
Steelers4eva said:
Lets just falshback a moment shall we to evaluate whether they will ever embrace our great game. Storm won the comp and were then told, your game is not good enough for our states premier sporting facility. Soccer, Yes....Yawnion,Yes ...... Other special events (one can only guess what thats meant to mean?),yes.......But rugby league - get outta here. Like I said, nothing but insular morons.

Actually, They turned back hundreds of Kids the next winter because they lacked the resources to run junior clubs for them. The NRL, News Corp, ARL and the Storm failed to capitalize on the success of the Storm that year.

Also 640,000 TV audience for a major event is not overly spectacular.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/stories/s71456.htm

It was better than Usual...Melbourne had about 3.2m people back then so It works out to nearly 900,000 Sydneysiders, close to the Swans total last year.

t-ba

Post Whore
Ice777 said:
Those sour grapes must taste sh*thouse :lol:

Don't mistake Sour Grapes for dislike...

Besides, if your mob doesn't front up this weekend, Craig Bellamy will continue his proud record of having Never won a Sudden Death Finals Match...

Ice777

Bench
Well all i can say is i'm happy that my team at least has the opportunity to win the comp and didn't bow out humiliated in straight sets ;-)

Latest posts