What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No top up from ARU for Choc

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
Rugby League is different to a full time job.

No, it's his full time job. It's what he does to feed his family.

As I said, you want loyalty and passion, go watch your local team go round. I do every weekend, and I love it.

You want top flight football, forget outdated ideas about passion and loyalty.

Edwahu

Bench
Yeah, those days are gone. Its a blessing to have players that are professional enough to show the same level of commitment as Schif when you have them but you cant expect undying loyalty. It works both ways as well, I am sure Germ wanted to be a one club player and then we have Stuart and Clyde etc.

dubby

Bench
I can't beleive the posts by some guys here. Ok, everyone has a right to an opinion and i respect that. Like TR and Ed said, times have changed. I don;t know why or how and i don't like it, but the point is; Shif is still here.
IMHO, his manager has exercised his right to give him a better deal. There was some interest from the Reds, and Shif said "well, lets have a look for interests sake".

Wouldn't you do the same?

Wouldn't you hear what another boss has to offer you, whether or not you are serious is another thing but at least find out what they have to offer.

I did exactly that about 18 months ago. My main rival at the time decided he couldn't compete with me at the company i worked for, so he tried to buy me. I was never interested, but at least listened to what he had to say and what he had to offer. It made me feel better about myself that i was worth so much more to a competitor that he wanted to offer me a job.

It was a good offer too, but i was happy where i was and stuck around and never regretted it. My bosses weren't too impressed but realised they must have had a good employee.

Guys, if any one of you is questioning the loyalty of our skipper, I think you need to take a breath and calm down. Look at it plainly and don;t read too much into it.

It was just for interest sake, and any one of us would have done the same thing.

Boing Boing

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
I'm disappointed with him, because if this falls through, what will the fans and his teammates think of him?

Sure he has every right to explore his options, and I would've been OK had he gone, but he basically admitted he wanted to go to the Reds... but NOW it looks like that has fallen through, and so if he stays, the Raiders will look like nothing more than a fallback option.

Do you want to see your captain only staying because plan A fell through??

I respect Schif for what he's done on the field, but I almost hope he goes now, as otherwise we'll look like a joke.

Just my honest opinion.

No, he didn't. What he said was that his manager is doing his job, that he didn't want to leave the Raiders and that it would take a massive offer to tear him away from them.

Go read over the stories again mate. I think a lot of people's opinions have been swayed by some rather biased reporting.

Bay56

First Grade
Mainstream said:
He only said he'd not play for another NRL club because he knows he won't get any better $$$ than he is getting from the Raiders from one of them.

I have no problem with him looking after his future and family. But I question whether someone without tenacious loyalty to the Raiders should be our captain.

Agree mate.

Schif doesnt even come close to being a Raiders "legend" as some of you refer ...

Meninga, Daley, Toots come to mind as legends ... all of these players had opportunities to leave the club on larger contracts but remained at the Raiders.

Some of you might not remember the salary cap problems we had in the early 90's where we were close to losing all our stars ... the community chipped in with some $250K ... most of the stars (except Lazarus) remained at the Raiders ...

They are the real Legends of the club ... the players that kept this fine club on level terms while winning a premiership again within two seasons.

So dont give me all this crap about sport being a business and players chasing money being acceptable behaviour ... it was Super League that dealt this code a blow and it is decisions like the one that Schif just made that pisses supporters off big time ...

The real Legends are what make people buy season tickets year after year.

You want to go elsewhere mid-term schif than do so ... but no, the deal has fallen through so I'll stay put ... f**k off mate !!

hrundi99

First Grade
Bay56 said:
Agree mate.

Schif doesnt even come close to being a Raiders "legend" as some of you refer ...

Meninga, Daley, Toots come to mind as legends ... all of these players had opportunities to leave the club on larger contracts but remained at the Raiders.

Some of you might not remember the salary cap problems we had in the early 90's where we were close to losing all our stars ... the community chipped in with some $250K ... most of the stars (except Lazarus) remained at the Raiders ...

They are the real Legends of the club ... the players that kept this fine club on level terms while winning a premiership again within two seasons.

So dont give me all this crap about sport being a business and players chasing money being acceptable behaviour ... it was Super League that dealt this code a blow and it is decisions like the one that Schif just made that pisses supporters off big time ...

The real Legends are what make people buy season tickets year after year.

You want to go elsewhere mid-term schif than do so ... but no, the deal has fallen through so I'll stay put ... f**k off mate !!

I really can't believe that someone your age would be so comfortable wearing such rose-coloured glasses.

More power to you, I'm just surprised that you aren't a little more objective about it.

edabomb

First Grade
Well I'm not with Bay about making Schif leave. I'm just with him on the fact Schif isn't a true legend of the club after this display.

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
Ah, Bay...

Naive, but charming in a quaint way.

nothing naive about it mate ... if you want to disenfranchise supporters go the Schify way ...

end of subject for me

thickos

First Grade
Considering what Schif has been for us in possibly the worst period in the club's history (2001-2006), where we've been hopelessly underachieving, he will always be a club legend in my eyes.

Ruben Wiki I'm sure was looking for a deal to set him up post football for his last contract and he got it at the Warriors... despite the dodginess of Warriors HQ do I begrudge Rubes one bit? Of course not. Same with Germ - although the Raiders made no attempt to keep Germ unlike Wiki.

Keep your appraisals of Schif to his on-field performances IMO and recognise that he is the face of the Raiders - but he is human too and has to at least consider these offers coming in. Why deny him that opportunity?

Raider Azz

Bench
lets also not forget that this is nothing like gasnier did to the dragons earlier in the year. schif is in no way looking to up his contract or anything like that.

dubby

Bench
Thank you Thickos and Azz for bringing some sense of logic and understanding to the topic...

Paullyboy

Coach
Im in the middle somewhere.

Im stoked Schif is staying and have really loved the passion he has put in whilest wearing the Raiders jersey, but I find it hard to look at him as my favourite player anymore knowing that if Gaelic Football or Lacrosse came in with a better offer (after all, he's played them as much as he has union) for his services he'd probably take it.

jed

First Grade
In all honesty, I don't believe Schif was behind any of the queries to ESL, ARU, other NRL clubs, lacrosse etc. Mr 10% will be more than aware that any increase in Schif's income will be beneficial to him, and is probably the one that is planting the seed in Schif's mind.

It wouldn't be the first time that a manager's convinced a player not to re-affirm their loyalties to the Raiders ;-)

Bay56

First Grade
jed said:
In all honesty, I don't believe Schif was behind any of the queries to ESL, ARU, other NRL clubs, lacrosse etc. Mr 10% will be more than aware that any increase in Schif's income will be beneficial to him, and is probably the one that is planting the seed in Schif's mind.

It wouldn't be the first time that a manager's convinced a player not to re-affirm their loyalties to the Raiders ;-)

jed Mr 90% get's most of the benefit out of any deal ...

so what you are saying is that he just wanted a change in lifestyle and money had nothing to do with schifs decision ... boyo mate ... he knew what was going on and instructed his manager to seek out interested parties, simple as that ... if he wasnt interested he should have dismissed the media reports and told his manager that his loyalties were with the Raiders

Let us look at the extreme here ... if everyone of our players had a get out clause and did same as Schif how would you guys be reacting ... pissed off I'd say.

The fact is Schif attempted to use a get out clause and loyalty to the Raiders were the furthest from his decision making.

PRKLCD

Juniors
jed said:

How do I become a sport Manager?

Serioulsy? :cool:

Latest posts