What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No top up from ARU for Choc

raidersforme

Juniors
Bay56 said:
jed Mr 90% get's most of the benefit out of any deal ...

so what you are saying is that he just wanted a change in lifestyle and money had nothing to do with schifs decision ... boyo mate ... he knew what was going on and instructed his manager to seek out interested parties, simple as that ... if he wasnt interested he should have dismissed the media reports and told his manager that his loyalties were with the Raiders

Let us look at the extreme here ... if everyone of our players had a get out clause and did same as Schif how would you guys be reacting ... pissed off I'd say.

The fact is Schif attempted to use a get out clause and loyalty to the Raiders were the furthest from his decision making.

I think you are spot on.

Mainstream

Juniors
I wonder if there might be more behind this than we realise.

Things like perhaps his wife really has had enough of Canberra and is super keen to leave. Or perhaps Choc had some contact with Neil Henry and didn't think their styles would mesh. Or maybe he really isn't enjoying being captain. Or perhaps it is rather random and was instigated by his manager.

Whatever he has a right to investigate better options and leave if he wants to.

However as a fan, I also have the right to think less of him as a result of all this. I thought he was a very loyal type of player and I guess I was wrong. So be it. I'll always enjoy watching him play.

schnitzel

Juniors
My favourite Raiders player is now tarnished. Out of all the Raiders I thought Schif was the most passionate and loyal. And he is on fantastic coin! Maybe he saw the writing on the wall with all the experience leaving ala 2004 and we won't be in contention for a premiership before his deal ends, or maybe Elliott did jump in bed with him and his beautiful wife? Either way, things won't be the same from now on. The green machine should never be the CAPTAINs second choice behind similar money from another code he has never even played, especially when we will desperately need his experience at the back next year. Right now, I wish he had left and we were slotting Graham into the fullback jersey...

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Fancy paying someone $340K pa and letting them put a "get out" clause in to their contract. Raiders management should not have allowed this in the first place.

paulquinn49

Bench
Why whenever a player looks into making more money people blame the player manager?

I mean if Shif wanted he could have said "f**k off I want to stay a Raider, don't bother looking elsewhere"

His manager is looking for a reason, rather than all your "disney" theories about "evil men" and "Mr 10%"

And Schif was the one who instructed his manager to look for other offers, it was stated numerous times in the CT. I'd search it out but I honestly can't be arsed, but I know it was stated.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The guy is on the wrong side of 30 and has been given the oppertunity to have a crack at another code at a competitive level for his home state, I honestly don't blame the guy. We've got the best years out of Schif and I for one respect his decision. I know it doesn't take much for some of you blokes to turn on a guy (sometimes all it takes is one bad game) but FFS be realistic.

Bay56

First Grade
Walt Flanigan said:
The guy is on the wrong side of 30 and has been given the oppertunity to have a crack at another code at a competitive level for his home state, I honestly don't blame the guy. We've got the best years out of Schif and I for one respect his decision. I know it doesn't take much for some of you blokes to turn on a guy (sometimes all it takes is one bad game) but FFS be realistic.

Imo Schif has at least two good years left in him .... that's about the length of the contract he signed with the Raiders ... after that he is a free agent and can do whatever he desires.

As I said in a previous post Walt if every player in league excercised this "get out" clause what faith would we still have in our game .... you'd be pissed off with the best of them and feel cheated season after season.

This practice may be common but that doesnt mean I have to accept it.

"be realistic" ... my oath I'm being realistic .... I dont want our code governed by the likes of greedy players and managers.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Bay56 said:
"be realistic" ... my oath I'm being realistic .... I dont want our code governed by the likes of greedy players and managers.

Too late for that mate.

I realise when an oppertunity is too good to pass up, that's why I wasn't bitter when Wiki left. We've had good service from Schif but any player past 30 is in risk of a steep decline in form IMO and not someone worth tying up 340K on.

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
And, just out of interest, what will your 'not accepting it' involve? Complaining online here?

T_R as others have done in the thread I have expressed an opinion ... maybe more forceably than others ... you ma wish to call that 'complaining' if you wish, it doesnt really bother me.

Btw T_R if every Raiders player excercised a get-out clause one year into a three year term what would your reaction be.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
well its not like he wanted to play for any other League team in australia..he was only interested in RU cause he would of had a chance to play rep football and only play half the games his doing now.

IMO at his age he was probably trying to pro long his career.

any else think it was cool how all the players were shaking Schifs hand after he decided to stay?

I have no problem with Schif going, if he has the clause in his contract, he deserves to take full advantage of it. That's not my complaint here.

My complaint is against those who are saying it's all the manager's fault, it's being blown out of proportion, he was never going to leave, etc, etc. He said last night on 2UE that if the ARU had come to the table he'd already be a Queensland Red! Open your eyes!

My other gripe is how this makes the club look. I know it wasn't entirely Schif's fault as I'm sure it was leaked to the media somehow, but his comments haven't helped matters either. It's obvious RU was #1 choice and he wanted to go, and now that the ARU have pulled out the rug from under him and the Reds, it's like... "oh well, back with the Raiders, plan B". How does that make our club look, seriously? Especially if he's the captain.

Like I said, it's not entirely his fault and he's entitled to go if he wanted to, I just would've preferred had been announced and talked about when the deal was actually, you know, confirmed... and for him not to say things like "I would've switched codes had they paid me" - what good does that do? No good whatsoever.

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
Your opinion is very valid, Bay. I am just curious as to what form your 'not accepting' this situation will take.

I'm not sure what you are referring to T_R

but please answer my question ... if every player at the the Raiders exercised a "get-out" clause would you be pissed off ?

hrundi99

First Grade
I would think it would represent poor planning from management.

If by some coincidence the players decided they wanted to make use of the terms of their contracts at the same time, then I would accept it.

Common sense says this would never happen though.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Bay56 said:
I'm not sure what you are referring to T_R

but please answer my question ... if every player at the the Raiders exercised a "get-out" clause would you be pissed off ?

I`d be pissed at whoever offered the contracts.

You don`t want someone to exercise a contractual clause, don`t offer it.

Bay56

First Grade
boyo you guys ... you're just never going to lay blame on the player ... management yes, manager yes, but player he's a saint

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
A player exercises a clause in a contract.

What the hell is the problem with that, Bay? He is honouring his agreement, as is the club.

Latest posts