What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nominations thread.

fizman

Bench
Millers, you are absolutely correct - Cullen stated that he was brought in to look at the systems and structures of the Club.

My understanding is that it was the SHARKS that wanted Bruno to look at the systems and structures NOT the NRL as reported.

Had there been no drugs situation, Bruno coming to look at the Club structures is a non issue.

The timing of the drug scandal and his arrival at the club created a new story within itself.

From a financial perspective we are now able to look at appointing a CEO, so the club was seeking some guidance of the best type of structure for the club.

That's what I was reliably told.

Frenzy.

Immortal
This is Peter Cobb who is standing for election as a Board member at the Sharks. It is great to see so much interest in the upcoming election. To answer one question that came up on the blog I can say that I have no affiliation with De La Salle at all. If there are any other questions I am only too happy to answer them.

That was my question, thanks for answering that.

All I ask when considering who should manage the Sharks is ask why are we in our present situation? and who is best for the Sharks going forward? The interim CEO was appointed not for any alleged drug issue but for financial concerns. I believe the supporters, players and staff deserve a whole lot better than what we are getting. As for "tickets" or "rebels" you only have to look at the past performances of them to realise that they are not what we need. They vote on a party line. We need directors who vote in the best interests of the Sharks Club.

We have Dragons this weekend and a win against them will make it a happy Easter.

Peter, do you know anyone else that has nominated or are you happy to work with anyone?

Do you have any ideas yet as to how the club move forward in the areas of membership, revenue streams and governance?

Peter Cobb

Juniors
Hello Frenzy.

Thanks for the questions. Firstly I don't know any of the other nominees. Of course I know the footballers from their playing careers but not personally. I would be happy to work with anyone. For the betterment of the Sharks the factions and rebels and dividers can't be allowed to dominate.

As for moving forward we have to first consider where we are. We cannot start each season as we have 2013. According to reports in the media the Sharks have no major sponsor, no stadium backer, people suing the Club, people who have nothing to do with the Club like Bruno Cullen turning up, staff members being sacked and head coaches being stood down, and widespread allegations of performance enhancing drug use. You have to look at the current Board and ask how did it ever get to this?

The Daily Telegraph reported that current Board member Peter Kerr "strongly advised" Sharks players to accept incentives to plead guilty to allegations ASADA may have made. As reported "Player agents suspect that is why Sharks directors - who would be personally liable in the event of liquidation - are pushing hard for a deal to be finalised."

Then the Sydney Morning Herald reports on the Sharks legal fees. The SMH asked Board member Craig Douglas whether the Sharks are paying Kavanagh $6000 per day, and Douglas refused to confirm how much remuneration was being paid. Don't forget the Board is also paying Allan Sullivan QC (? per day) and Richard Redman (? per day). Why can't Douglas tell us how much is being paid? What are the Board hiding? If the Board decision is so good well let's see the transparency and open behaviour expected of a Board of directors. Membership is $95 and there are alot of $95 getting handed out.

The Club has to be run like a successful business. The model for governance is well documented in successful clubs and we need to adopt it here. Membership and sponsorship revenue can be directly related to confidence. Whilst ever the general public have no confidence in the management of our club revenue will suffer. As stated earlier we kicked off the season with no major sponsor or stadium sponsor. There was talk in Round 1 of this season of us moving to Perth, Central Coast, NSW Cup. Who is going to invest in that?Frenzy we deserve better.

Peter Cobb

Juniors
Answer for Blacktip-Reefy. I do not have any potential conflicts? If elected I have some relevant concerns I would like addressed as concerns funding and outsourcing for advice, but that is in the best interests of supporters and players. Thanks for the question

Megalodon

Juniors
Mods / Admin,

Just a duty of care issue you may wish to address.

It may be wise for you to confirm that the poster "Peter Cobb" is actually the same person as the Peter Cobb who is a nominated candidate for the the current Sharks Board elections.

Cheers.

Fitzy2513

Juniors
Mods / Admin,

It may be wise for you to confirm that the poster "Peter Cobb" is actually the same person as the Peter Cobb who is a nominated candidate for the the current Sharks Board elections.

Cheers.

He is who he says he is. I got him in here cause I was asked questions that I believed were only for him to answer. He will be signing up to SF as well. Take it as you will but at least this way, you get to make a decision based more then what is written on a flyer.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Mods / Admin,

Cheers.
You didnt seem to raise these concerns with Ricky Surace?

Dirty politics?? Is this headed to the QT?

DAMIAN Keogh fears "dirty politics" are set to mar the upcoming Cronulla board elections, warning: "The next couple of weeks I can't see them being very amicable".

A Sydney Kings superstar in the 1990s, Keogh is headlining a ticket of senior businessman - dubbed Sharks Unity - pushing to take control of the embattled NRL club.

However, with the election looming, Keogh's right to challenge for the role of chairman is being questioned on what the three-time Olympian calls a "technicality".

Keogh and six other members of his ticket were not members of the football club - thereby making them ineligible for five of the nine board positions.

However, The Daily Telegraph has seen correspondence between Unity's lawyer and Cronulla Leagues GM Jeff Morris insisting Keogh and fellow businessmen Kevin Dwyer, Paul McCarthy and John Dunphy are all recently ratified members of the Cronulla Caringbah JRLFC.

Incredibly, any decision on Keogh's ability to stand could now fall to new Cronulla chairman Glenn Coleman - the man he is looking to replace.

"It's quite disappointing, embarrassing really that people can't see the big picture," Keogh said.

"I mean, this isn't an under 10s soccer club we're talking about. We're trying to bring a group of high-profile businessmen in to run the club rather than, with respect, local people who are fans. You can work hard, show goodwill, all of that. But for this club revenue is oxygen ... and right now Cronulla has no oxygen."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-board-elections/story-e6frexrr-1226609196764

Megalodon

Juniors
lol, keep wearing your tinfoil hats gentlemen.

I only joined this forum on 16-08-2010.

I have no idea about Ricky's involvement here, and even less care, don't even know his username.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Dirty politics?? Is this headed to the QT?

DAMIAN Keogh fears "dirty politics" are set to mar the upcoming Cronulla board elections, warning: "The next couple of weeks I can't see them being very amicable".

A Sydney Kings superstar in the 1990s, Keogh is headlining a ticket of senior businessman - dubbed Sharks Unity - pushing to take control of the embattled NRL club.

However, with the election looming, Keogh's right to challenge for the role of chairman is being questioned on what the three-time Olympian calls a "technicality".

Keogh and six other members of his ticket were not members of the football club - thereby making them ineligible for five of the nine board positions.

However, The Daily Telegraph has seen correspondence between Unity's lawyer and Cronulla Leagues GM Jeff Morris insisting Keogh and fellow businessmen Kevin Dwyer, Paul McCarthy and John Dunphy are all recently ratified members of the Cronulla Caringbah JRLFC.

Incredibly, any decision on Keogh's ability to stand could now fall to new Cronulla chairman Glenn Coleman - the man he is looking to replace.

"It's quite disappointing, embarrassing really that people can't see the big picture," Keogh said.

"I mean, this isn't an under 10s soccer club we're talking about. We're trying to bring a group of high-profile businessmen in to run the club rather than, with respect, local people who are fans. You can work hard, show goodwill, all of that. But for this club revenue is oxygen ... and right now Cronulla has no oxygen."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-board-elections/story-e6frexrr-1226609196764

So a group of local De La Salle guys, sign up to Caringbah RLFC, in order to get through the backdoor of Cronulla?
Dirty politics alright Damian. You've lost me. But thanks for informing everybody that you think it is more important to be a member of CCRLFC than it is the Sharks.

webShark

I couldnt care if they were members or not. DI was probably and most thought he was too close. A lot of people don't want fans running the club. Was Russell Crowe a Souths member before takeover? Doubt candidates have to be shareholders if standing for the board of a public listed company. We can't afford to select from members only, IMO. What would happen if a super rich benefactor wanted to take us over? Would he have to be a member? The backdoor membership of CCJRLFC seems strange though. Clearly De La people and everyone was going to see though this stunt. Admittedly, I got one of the Unity flyers at the game last week. Looked good but said nothing. Having said that, i havent seen anything from anywhere else. Wonder if Gow still a member.

spider

Coach
They would have gone to CCRLFC due to ratification dates of membership.

Sharks may not have had another board meeting prior to elections closing, hence not eligble via football club membership ratification.

The election notice stipulates CCRLFC as an option.

The Popper

Bench
Sounds like a lot of nit picking going on here. Cronulla-Caringbah was the original Leagues Club. Foresight by that junior club gave birth to the Sharks. In the early days, other JL clubs were envious and there was an unsuccessful move to establish a rival Leagues Club in Sutherland. At one stage, membership of either was applicable. It may still apply. Over recent decades, DLS people have pretty much held sway in many positions of power at our club. Me? I don't give a shyt who runs it, as long as we are successful and can win a premiership.

Peter Cobb

Juniors
To Megalodon, I can assure you it is Peter Cobb. Great to see 20,000 turn up, not so great the score. That is why we have next week.

newman

First Grade
To Megalodon, I can assure you it is Peter Cobb. Great to see 20,000 turn up, not so great the score. That is why we have next week.

Peter, serious question and one I will ask of the other candidates given the opportunity, where were you at the last round of board elections, particularly when the club was in dire financial straits?

Latest posts