What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Adding melting water to water lowers the water level, because water is less dense than ice.

I remember getting that very question at university, and the whole class failed that question.

We assume that if the ice melts, it adds to the overall level of the water; however, physically, it does not.

Because ice is denser than water, it raises the level due to the water it displaces so that it may float - once the ice melts, it is at the same density, so the water level goes back to its original level.

I'm sure somebody smarter than me can explain it more eloquently.
Did you mean that the other way around, as in water is more dense than ice? Anyway, I'd have thought a floating iceberg would make no difference to the water level whether it be solid or liquid, as part of it sticks out above the surface.

Bazal

Post Whore
Did you mean that the other way around, as in water is more dense than ice? Anyway, I'd have thought a floating iceberg would make no difference to the water level whether it be solid or liquid, as part of it sticks out above the surface.

Yeah but you haven't accounted for the effects of gravity

84 Baby

Referee
Adding melting water to water lowers the water level, because water is less dense than ice.

I remember getting that very question at university, and the whole class failed that question.

We assume that if the ice melts, it adds to the overall level of the water; however, physically, it does not.

Because ice is denser than water, it raises the level due to the water it displaces so that it may float - once the ice melts, it is at the same density, so the water level goes back to its original level.

I'm sure somebody smarter than me can explain it more eloquently.
Half half. Water displacement is only effected by the amount of an object actually in the water, so the difference between ice and liquid water densities probably wouldn't make up the difference as IALB states with the icy part sticking out of the water if that were to melt. Unless the iceberg is some sort of gravity well

Half half. Water displacement is only effected by the amount of an object actually in the water, so the difference between ice and liquid water densities probably wouldn't make up the difference as IALB states with the icy part sticking out of the water if that were to melt. Unless the iceberg is some sort of gravity well
Well I would have been right but icebergs are made from fresh water, which is less dense than salt water.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18841-melting-icebergs-boost-sea-level-rise/