What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think he same will happen here with all these dodgie units going up?
I didna bit of work at a mates. Took 5 light switches off wall. 3/5 the worse fell out of back as screws hadn't been tightened properly.

I think we've cracked down on the dodgy side of things with private certifiers having to lift their game. It all gets back to the underwriters though. They are making the calls now.

Some I know are getting out, or have got out of the business, spiraling PI premiums and the insurers now making calls on each job with increasing demands on certifications. Insurance companies are nervous and will do what ever hey can to increase premiums and decrease pay outs.

Gronk

Staff member
I think we've cracked down on the dodgy side of things with private certifiers having to lift their game. It all gets back to the underwriters though. They are making the calls now.

Some I know are getting out, or have got out of the business, spiraling PI premiums and the insurers now making calls on each job with increasing demands on certifications. Insurance companies are nervous and will do what ever hey can to increase premiums and decrease pay outs.
Some context.

Has the role of Private Certifiers actually changed ? Is the PC an overseer of workmanship or just compliance - that the work resembles the DA or CDC ?

^^^^ how would a certifier ever know that a waterproof membrane was correctly installed before it was tiled ? IIRC waterproofers certify their own work.

hindy111

Post Whore
I just did a bit of work at a friend's unit which was finished about 3yrs ago. Quality was rubbish. But they put a few nice appliances and a stone bench top in and people cream their pants.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Some context.

Has the role of Private Certifiers actually changed ? Is the PC an overseer of workmanship or just compliance - that the work resembles the DA or CDC ?

^^^^ how would a certifier ever know that a waterproof membrane was correctly installed before it was tiled ? IIRC waterproofers certify their own work.

they don't, they rely on the certification from the installer

PCs should stick to housing as they are only level 2, all council officers are level 1 and the PCs are a commercial venture so motivated by money, not quality and due diligence or at least they were

changed a lot now to the other extreme

Incorrect

Coach
Some context.

On that waterproofing point, I live in a relatively new estate/suburb and whenever I'm taking the dogs for a walk around the neighbourhood, I can't help noticing how shit most of the balconies off 2nd story bedrooms look. They just about all seem to have tiles falling off and generally in a state of disrepair. Have seen a lot being completely stripped and having to be re-done. Quality of original build must have been terrible. Have heard so many people complaining about water leaks etc from their balconies. Glad I don't have one...

Avenger

Immortal
@Avenger is selling his house.

I can see it from my balcony. It’s an amazing place. The four blocks of land to purchase it would have cost close to $20m. In 2016 it was voted the best house in Australia.

Owned by the family that used to own Shelley’s drinks and now the developers of the app called Deputy, a staff rostering app.

They are staying in the area and building a smaller waterfront because the kids have left the nest.

I’d estimate that it would have cost at least $30m to build.

Avenger

Immortal
That things not worth more then 46 million.
Tell em their dreaming
Don’t get me wrong I love where I live and the area will get even better when the freeway to city is completed but that’s too much money for the Shire. Then again places like Palm Beach in the Northern Beaches were getting consistently $20m several years ago so maybe the Shire is catching up.

hindy111

Post Whore
Don’t get me wrong I love where I live and the area will get even better when the freeway to city is completed but that’s too much money for the Shire. Then again places like Palm Beach in the Northern Beaches were getting consistently $20m several years ago so maybe the Shire is catching up.

Who has 20 million dollars ffs.

Gronk

Staff member
I can see it from my balcony. It’s an amazing place. The four blocks of land to purchase it would have cost close to $20m. In 2016 it was voted the best house in Australia.

Owned by the family that used to own Shelley’s drinks and now the developers of the app called Deputy, a staff rostering app.

They are staying in the area and building a smaller waterfront because the kids have left the nest.

I’d estimate that it would have cost at least $30m to build.
Ok this is totally a WTF moment.

I had an Aunty Daphne and Uncle Arthur who used to live in Arncliffe. Their neighbour was Bert Shelley. He used to hit me up with freebies all the time. Lime was my fav.

He sold Shelleys and then started Berts.

(There may be some inter family shit in the mix, that I am unaware of.)

1624750564710.jpeg

Latest posts