What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Also, I'm not a Liberal or Scomo supporter by any means, but I also don't espouse to the idea that every single solitary thing they do is wrong. In this case I think Tennis Australia made a mistake, and the Federal Government had no choice but to intervene. Novax should never have been told (if he was) that his 'medical exemption' meant that he could come here and play tennis. If you have a look at the medical exemption form, it says that exemptions are rarely given, and that having had a positive result is not a valid reason. They are the government's rules (whether we like them or not). So how exactly has the Federal Government funked up?
I already gave my thoughts, but your point is well made.

Also, I'm not a Liberal or Scomo supporter by any means, but I also don't espouse to the idea that every single solitary thing they do is wrong. In this case I think Tennis Australia made a mistake, and the Federal Government had no choice but to intervene. Novax should never have been told (if he was) that his 'medical exemption' meant that he could come here and play tennis. If you have a look at the medical exemption form, it says that exemptions are rarely given, and that having had a positive result is not a valid reason. They are the government's rules (whether we like them or not). So how exactly has the Federal Government funked up?

This would be the Federal Government whose leader, on January 5, said that the issue of exemptions was up to the Victorian government? And then changed their mind when the wind changed direction?

Bandwagon

Staff member

Fundamentally TA has no power here other than to approve Novak playing in the tournament under whatever guidelines they are set by both the Victorian government, and the Federal government. They certainly have no power to issue visas.

Traditionally and Constitutionally that power rests with the federal government and it's appointed agencies. Even if it is so that the Feds have abrogated that responsibility to the states in terms of sponsoring individuals under whatever mechanisms they have seen fit through the pandemic, again ultimately that power is the Feds and the Feds alone to exercise, or delegate as they see fit.

So the question becomes that when the exercising of that power turns into a circus, who is responsible?

And I don't think it the least bit unfair to suggest that this entire episode is indeed a f**king circus.

lingard

Coach
This would be the Federal Government whose leader, on January 5, said that the issue of exemptions was up to the Victorian government? And then changed their mind when the wind changed direction?
Or when it was clear that the Victorian government had totally funked up. The last time I looked, medical exemptions are pretty hard to get, and the criteria don't include 'being a tennis star'. Nor do they include having had Covid in the past. Mate, the Victorian government initiated the most draconian restrictions throughout 2020/21. They were clearly very concerned about the possible spread of Covid. But now, because the Melbourne Open means so much money to Victoria, they have just decided to turn a blind eye. I don't blame the Federal Government for stepping in. They didn't have much choice really.

Gronk

Staff member
Or when it was clear that the Victorian government had totally funked up. The last time I looked, medical exemptions are pretty hard to get, and the criteria don't include 'being a tennis star'. Nor do they include having had Covid in the past. Mate, the Victorian government initiated the most draconian restrictions throughout 2020/21. They were clearly very concerned about the possible spread of Covid. But now, because the Melbourne Open means so much money to Victoria, they have just decided to turn a blind eye. I don't blame the Federal Government for stepping in. They didn't have much choice really.
I haven’t seen any evidence of how the Victorian Government were involved in this at all.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
My understanding is VIC Government and TA gave the Feds assurances and then the Feds issued the visa based on those recommendations.

In developing those recommendations VIC Government would have referred to advice from the Feds (ATAGI). Part of the problem is that this advice isn’t black and white.

Its the same process that they went through with other unvaccinated tennis players but this one suffered a snag.

When he arrived in the country he originally asked for an extension to provide additional information because it was the middle of the night. They originally granted this but old mate at the border was allegedly finishing his shift so they cancelled 1hr later.

Gronk

Staff member
My understanding is VIC Government and TA gave the Feds assurances and then the Feds issued the visa based on those recommendations.
I don’t think you’re correct. If you recall, he completed his online application on the basis that he had compliance evidence of a medical exemption and then was provided an automated repsonse.

the court documents released on Saturday show that the letter that Djokovic’s team say gave him permission to travel without quarantining is an automated response based on completing a form, the Australia Travel Declaration – and does not give a person permission to enter the country.

strider

Post Whore
My god these people drag shit out. Great way to prolong your employment. No wonder they charge by the hour.