1. Origin I Edition OUT NOW:

The latest issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for next week's State of Origin opener and upcoming Super League matches!

As the interstate rivalry amps up in the NRL post-season for the first time, Paul Jobber talks to Boyd Cordner as the Blues skipper aims for a NSW three-peat, while Rick Edgerton looks at how Origin will unfold in a post-COVID world. League-mad fans Mark Thierry and Emile El-Azar share their lives in locked-down Victoria during the COVID-disrupted year and Andrew Ferguson looks at how the Storm and Roosters of the current era compare with the great dynasties of years gone by.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the Origin match programme along with teamlists and details for the week's Super League matches - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine! Happy reading!

EDITION 23 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Norman for Jack Bird

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by possm, Sep 3, 2020.

1. possm

possm Coach

I wouild like the Dragons to swap a poor performing Norman for Jack Bird at the Broncos. Bird would make an ideal left centre and a replacement lock if required. Yes he has his injury problems but our youngsters need to be brought through progressively and time out for injury would suit the grooming of Feagai for sure.

WoyD4LWoy, blue bags and ALSGI like this.
  2. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

I love a good brain fart.

3. ALSGI

ALSGI Bench

Nice, swap a flat tyre for a flat tyre,

4. redv13

redv13 Juniors

Just checking: let’s swap a useless, very expensive sack of potatoes for a player who in the last 3 seasons has played 17 games and had 1 serious shoulder injury and 2 very concerning and season ending ACL knee injuries... your kidding right?? Ha ha April fools, I must of mixed up my calendar dates. Silly old me!!

5. redv13

redv13 Juniors

I must say possm you do make my day when I’m in here having a daily catch up

blacksafake, I'm Hornby, jak and 2 others like this.
  6. Dorothy the Winowhore

Dorothy the Winowhore Juniors

Why not swap Tristan Sailor for Jack Wighton?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Walpole, blacksafake, Mjab and 3 others like this.
  7. JohnnoMcJohnno

JohnnoMcJohnno Juniors

You're kidding! At least Norman gets on the field. Bird will just take up space on the salary cap.

8. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

So if this happened and then Bird got injured first up and ruled out for the season, would we then expect Millward to swap him back again with Brisbane...?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    I'm Hornby likes this.
  9. SAP58

SAP58 Juniors

Have no interest in Bird coming back to us. Still remember how he left us.

10. Crush

Crush First Grade

Hahahahahahaha, great plan.

Blood Shot Eyes and hazzbeen like this.
  11. be55

be55 Juniors

I've got to say possm i really do admire you...you really just let everybody know what's going on in that mind of yours without fear of judgement or kickback...we all have different opinions and this is what makes the world go round....it would be a boring place if we all thought the same...for what it's worth it is a "no" from me...I would just about do anything to get rid of Norman who is nothing more than an uncommitted sloth who masquerades as a rugby league player but the last thing i want to see Is Jack Bird back . Bird is a mercenary who's turned his back on the club before and it's been proven his body isn't up to the rigours of the NRL. Bird doesn't commit to a teams goals, he goes where the money leads him.If you signed him and he did manage to somehow stay on the field ,as soon as he had a better offer he'd be asking for a release. Just my opinion....

WoyD4LWoy, Mjab, blue bags and 4 others like this.
  12. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

I’d rather the Feagai boys, Lomax and SSE at centre. Lock we will have JDB, McInnes can fill in plus Lawrie. It will be interesting what Griffin does with our side.

WoyD4LWoy, Mjab, Smurf and 4 others like this.
  13. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Crush likes this.
  14. rasaint

rasaint Juniors

Must say that speaking generally Jack Bird at his best is a fabulous player.

The sharks were travelling ok in 2016 and then they put Bird at 5/8 from memory and they took off and became serious contenders. He was like Keary to Souths when they won 2014 ( from memory).

However chronic health problems and serious knee shoulder injuries have wrecked him.

Possum’s comment I took as being based on JB coming sufficiently good and getting some clear air from injury. However, that seems remote now. For a base salary under $200k I’d be tempted. I still remember him at his best playing for the sharkies running this way and that ; pushing blokes off and slipping great off loads leading to trys. He definitely had a major influence on the Sharks premiership.

Wonder if Miller’s a legend has same opinion?

WoyD4LWoy likes this.
  15. possm

possm Coach

Yes thank you for your kind words. Even though I don't agree with many views from some members on here, from time to time I would like a post purely because of the thinking outside the box and a genuine effort to put forward a view that may solve a problem.

I doubt that not much of what we say on this forum would be noticed or taken up by those in power at SGI today however, we are a forum for people who support St George Illawarra and debate on here at most times in an enjoyable way.

My thinking is that it is absolutely necessary to get rid of Norman and Hunt who have proven to be playing way below their pay scale. It seems to me that both Norman and Bird have on year to go on their respective contracts and that both players are performing poorly for their current clubs.

Both players may improve their attitude and performance in an environment where there is a change of club with a fresh start. Both will be under no illusion that they will have to perform if they want to remain in demand for season 2022.

More importantly, the Broncos don't need a centre and we could do with a good left centre. Saints do not need a five-eighth if Griffin is our new coach mainly because we have juniors coming through and rumours that Maloney may come with Griffin. But beyond all of this, if Bird can play fit and injury free, he is a very versatile player who can play fullback, left-centre, five-eighth and lock.

The challenge will be, can our new coach get Bird him motivated and up to the job. In my view he would have a better chance to do this with Jack Bird than with Cory Norman.

16. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

The Bird has flown ...... not for me ......

WoyD4LWoy, be55 and Crush like this.
  17. Crush

Crush First Grade

The problem with Bird Poss is he is injury prone. There is no "if Bird can play fit and injury free". That isn't possible, he is unfortunately an injury prone player and will be until he is finished.
    Why in the world would we take that gamble?
    You bag Millward a lot which is fair enough but you can't then say we should go after Bird?

WoyD4LWoy, I'm Hornby, be55 and 3 others like this.
  18. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer First Grade

If only the thread title was:

Swap Norman for Katoni Staggs.

WoyD4LWoy, Reddragon, be55 and 4 others like this.
  19. Dea

Dea Juniors

I don’t mind the creative thought, but the Bird has flown. Injured and not going to cut it any more. Give us a coach with some balls and they could simply drop Norman for poor performance. Hopefully next year there is the lower grades and he could put in for a recall or else that will be the end of his career.

WoyD4LWoy, be55 and Mjab like this.
  20. merahputih

merahputih Juniors

Jack unfortunately suffers from a life long affliction: rheumatoid arthritis. A cruel blow for a young, talented athlete, still only 25. Cronulla got enough out of him to get a premiership, but he is a brittle proposition who apparently needs constant medication for the ailment.
    Still, it's the Dragons, so you never know.