What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Brisbane Bears - Plan B

mightybears

Bench
I know a lot of time has passed and circumstances changed, but when North Sydney last played games in Brisbane (not against Broncos) they expected 20000 plus and got less about 5000. Brisbane are not guaranteed to be the success that most people assume.

I think it was closer to 3,000 actually [ including me!]. We beat the cows, in the days when the cows really sucked.
Of course we played there when we still had the verbal about the criteria been all good, a late move to Lang to promote the game in Brisbane on a weekend when the Bronc were away, could have played it at the NSO...................................mumbles something about NRL bastards

bender

Juniors
being a Sydney team playing in another state at the time, thats to be expected... captain obvious here..
NOrth Sydney obviously didnt think so at the time, and neither did many other people. Especially those who believed there was a huge i hate broncos sentiment.

whats your point?
Like it or not, Brisbane is a broncos town. And if any team is to succeed in Brisbane, they will need to be as successful as the broncos and a chance of winning the comp. Brisbane wont put up with winning every second week, like most sydney supporters will, because any new team will have to win enough to take supporters away from a team that they already support. Brisbane already rejected the crushers when they became losers, and will reject any new team that doesnt succeed immediately, for a decent enough stretch to gain loyalty. It is a very tough market to crack and being an ex sydney team would not help. Personally, i would love to see the Wests Panthers relocate up here and merge with the real panthers but that is not likely.

Look - the obvious merits of re-establishing the Bears in Brisbane (or any existing team) are many - ie - established club structure, juniors, sponsorship, brand etc
I see those things as very valuable to Perth and Adelaide and perhaps even Wellington or christchurch, but Brisbane already has clubs that fit those bills, without the bears I dont see this as that much of a benefit to a brisbane club.

And long term, would NOrths feel like much more than a feeder club anyway?

look at the AFL - the Lions survived, and only became competitive, through a merger with Fitzroy (ironically they used to be called the Bears!).

Lol. The return of the Brisbane Bears, not really likely to bring too much enthusiasm from Brisbane. The Bears needed Fitzroy, because nobody in Brisbane plays or watches AFL and it was the only way they could get a competitive team.

The Qld NRL teams are all successful because they service a niche market and feed off the 'identity' of the region - ie, Gold Coast hates to be compared to Brisbane (even though they are the little brother), and so a public perception exists that they want their own identity.

HUh? Gold coast are successful, because they are the 5th largest and fastest growing city in Australia. They have recently overtaken Newcastle and being basically a bit more than an extension of Brisbane, they are a Rugby league city. They are much bigger than Ipswich Toowoomba and Sunshine coast. That is why they were successful and were always going to be successful.

likewise for NQ - rightfully having their own team as they are isolated geographically and find it difficult to support a Sth Qld team.

I agree, but i remember when people said they were too small and would have no support. Central Qld are in a similar situation, maybe there should be a central Qld Bears?

the Western suburbs is a great option. Don't forget the fans from out West that will embrace the team - ie Toowoomba and the further west country areas - all huge NRL supporters.

It is growing, but it is nowhere near ready. Toowoomba would support a team, but it is miles too far away really and simply too small. Dont forget that they dont even have a Qld Cup team anymore. I think we are 10 -20 years from a team in this area, but when it does come, it will be huge. If it joins now, it will be similar to the Chargers, unless of course they try to become Crushers mark II.

however Nth Brisbane is also a strong option.

Really they would be nothing more than Crushers mark II. They might work, they might not. They would need on field success badly. The area is growing, but like Ipswich, they are at least another 10 years away from becoming a titans like success. I would rather wait, to be honest as there are more important areas.

for those suggesting that Qlders would reject a Sydney club relocating, I would disagree and argue that there are a great many Brisbane people desperate for a new team to support other than the Broncs.
As with the Lions, blending interstate with local identity can work very well.

It is possible that i could work, i will admit that, but it is a lot of hard work, and it has already failed and could easily do so again. I would say a Sydney relocation has as much chance of success as a start from Scratch New Team and slightly less chance than a reincarnation of the Crushers or some other former Brisbane team such as Valleys, Brothers, Devils etc.

bender

Juniors
I think it was closer to 3,000 actually [ including me!]. We beat the cows, in the days when the cows really sucked.
Of course we played there when we still had the verbal about the criteria been all good, a late move to Lang to promote the game in Brisbane on a weekend when the Bronc were away, could have played it at the NSO...................................mumbles something about NRL bastards

Didnt the council stop you from playing at NSO? Or was it the bears admin that thought they would make more money in Brisbane? You are not the only sydney club that thought they would get huge crowds in Brisbane against the cowboys. I cant recall it ever happening.

Hass

Juniors
100 years on and we are talking about GROWING our game by putting teams into Brisbane and Gosford, geez!

In 1980, Brisbane had eight first grade teams. They now have only one. That was the price of entering the Sydney competition, but it's ridiculous that Brisbane still only has one team. The Crushers would have gone on to be successful if the war hadn't intervened.

Disregarding Brisbane's need for another team doesn't make Perth any more or less deserving of a team.

As for Gosford. The place is a league heartland which would have remained so without a team, except for one thing... the Bears went and built a stadium. Once it was there other codes (ie. soccer) were able to use it. The presence of that stadium has made Gosford the site of a turf war. Neglecting Gosford for too long will only lead to Rugby League losing its market share there. That's why it's important to go there.

Last edited:

Sparky 74

Juniors
Ah Why not have the Northern Bears based out of Darwin lol

A 4th Qld team should be bases in the Sunshine Coast .......What better team than the Manly Sea Eagles - Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles or the East Coast Sea Eagles.

While i'm at it a WA team, piss the West Tigers to Perth , now a SA team ......merge souths & Cronulla then relocate them to Adelaide = souths sharks

NRL version 11198

1. North queensland Cowboys
2. Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles
3. Brisbane Broncos
4. Gold Coast Titans
5.West Tigers - Perth
6. Souths Sharks - Adelaide
7. Northern Bears - Darwin
8. Melbourne Storm
9. Newcastle Knights
10. Central coast ????
11. Canberra Raiders
12. St.George Illawarra - 8 games in the Gong 2 games in Sydney
13. Sydney Bulldogs - merge Canterbury & the Roosters
14. Parramatta Panthers - merge Parra & Penrith
15. Auckland Warriors
16. Wellington ?????????

Perth Red

Post Whore
An ideal would be a 16 team league that featured Perth, Wellington, 2nd Brisbane and CC but how we'd get to that I'd hate to think.

TiggaPlease

Ah Why not have the Northern Bears based out of Darwin lol

A 4th Qld team should be bases in the Sunshine Coast .......What better team than the Manly Sea Eagles - Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles or the East Coast Sea Eagles.

While i'm at it a WA team, piss the West Tigers to Perth , now a SA team ......merge souths & Cronulla then relocate them to Adelaide = souths sharks

NRL version 11198

1. North queensland Cowboys
2. Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles
3. Brisbane Broncos
4. Gold Coast Titans
5.West Tigers - Perth
6. Souths Sharks - Adelaide
7. Northern Bears - Darwin
8. Melbourne Storm
9. Newcastle Knights
10. Central coast ????
11. Canberra Raiders
12. St.George Illawarra - 8 games in the Gong 2 games in Sydney
13. Sydney Bulldogs - merge Canterbury & the Roosters
14. Parramatta Panthers - merge Parra & Penrith
15. Auckland Warriors
16. Wellington ?????????

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

otori

Juniors
Yeah I doubt they'd have another team called the Brisbane Bears after that epic fail was last resolved...

Yeah because NSWRL had done so much to expand in 90 years hadn't it.

In 1982 Illawarra and Canberra entered the comp. Then Newcastle, Brisbane and Gold Coast in 1988. 1995 saw Perth, Auckland, South Queensland & North Qld. Clubs were eyeing off Melbourne and Adelaide in the early 90s. Next on the agenda was GRADUAL reduction of Sydney teams. Then News ruined everything.

I'd say NSWRL did much better than the current administration.

(Though I'm certainly not advocating Colin Love and co take over! But when NSWRL had John Quayle they had a true leader with the best interests of Rugby League at heart)

Latest posts