What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NORTH SYDNEY AGM LAST WEEK

mightybears

Bench
TAKEN FROM THE NORTHS FORUM [SEE LINK BELOW]
THIS IS AN EDIT VERSION OF HOW BEARS4LIFE SAW THE AGM, thanks mate!

The AGM was an interesting affair and a few important points did come out of the meeting.

Mike Gibbons gave a Chairman report by saying that is passionate about bringing the Bears back to the top flight league where we should have been 5 years ago. But if that can’t happen we will continue to play in Premier League and not in the Jim Beam Cup.

With the Central Coast bid really on hold (but not dead) until the NRL advises the 16th team submissions are going to be accepted, the North Sydney Bears will not be standing still. Gibbons and Greg Florimo went down to see David Gallop last week to advise him that the Central Coast bid was still alive and was waiting for the NRL to make a decision about whether a 16th team would be accepted. [MY EDIT: NORTHS HAVE ALSO BEEN TALKING WITH TATE, SINGO'S 2IC]Gibbons was of the belief that the Central Coast bid was is superior to the Gold Coast.
Gibbons reiterated to Gallop his concerns that rugby league could be lost on the Central Coast to soccer with the new A league team based in Gosford from August this year and the fact the Socceroos’ 2010 World Cup bid will be going through the easier Asian confederation could result in rugby league being lost to the Central Coast which is not in anyone’s interest.

On other matters Gibbons stated is was critical that the North Sydney Bears raises its profile. Fundraisers are being organised including a State of Origin dinner and later in the year a team of the century dinner. Also it would appear that the Premier League side under Gary Freeman will be very competitive and for the fans to come out to North Sydney Oval and support the team.

Gibbons informed the meeting of a ticket of himself, Jim Lawson [MY EDIT: A MAJOR BEARS SPONSOR] and two other league club members to replace four members of the Leagues Club board. The main reason for this is that Gibbons of the belief that the members of his ticket are more capable of running the Leagues Club in a more efficient and profitable manner than the current Leagues Club board. A request to hold an Extraordinary General Meeting for the Leagues Club to consider this resolution to the members of the Leagues Club as been given to the current directors of the League Club board. At this stage there has been no news as the status of the EGM.

There was a lengthy discussion about the comments made by Jim Henry in the Sydney Morning Herald earlier [LAST] month. Barry Alliston Chairman of the Leagues Club Board said that the 20% stake in the Central Coast Stadium is being held in trust for the Football Club and would not be sold, and in fact would any decisions made on this stake in the stadium would be done as per instruction from the Football Club. To which Gibbons was very pleased to hear this, as this stake in the Stadium was the last remaining the asset the Football Club. Gibbons requested to have this statement in writing from Alliston. Alliston did respond that this would be done in time but his statement will at least be recorded in the minutes of this AGM.

To cut a long story short, there was a lot of criticism of Henry’s comments (this probably would have went on for around 45 minutes). Alliston stated that this was not the view of the leagues club board and he had no authority to make the comments. Tony Salier (who is a director of both the Leagues Club and Football Club) had stated that Henry had been misquoted throughout the whole article but Alliston said that Henry had been only misquoted on the sale of the stadium issue.

David Hill made a damming speech on the role of the Leagues Club board during the time we were put in liquidation. He reiterated that the Football Club created by the League Clubs to assist in funding the Football Club and that it would appear that the Leagues Club was not fulfilling its original charter to which the Leagues Club was set up for. Sam Sorrenti, a director of the football club, also made a passionate (and quite humorous) speech about his role on the football club board and that he would be fighting the NRL to bring the Bears back to the NRL. Stephen Sim also made strong comments in regards to the fact that we should be getting straight into the media to correct the statements made by Henry. He also said that both the Football Club and Leagues Club need to working towards the goal of getting the Bears back into the NRL.

Overall, the meeting was positive for the North Sydney Bears.

So, to summarise:

1. Various Bears football club board members believe they should be back in the NRL.

2. Why? Because their expulsion was "unfair".

3. David Gallop is still willing to have them come to his office and talk at him.

4. Various Bears football club board members believe that the leagues club should support the football club (one presumes financially).

5. An EGM is being sought to tip out the current "unfriendly" leagues club board members.

6. Jim Henry either was/wasn't misquoted in his comments to the press.

7. The Bears football club board still has no viable plan to gain control of the licensed club.

No change really in any of this since I last spoke to a Bears football club director at Henson a few years back. At that time, he had no idea how they could get control of the licensed club (i.e. no idea how many voting members in that organisation).

Nor did he see any real advantage in that. He just kept on telling me they would be back in the NRL soon because their removal had been "unfair".

At least now they can see that control of the money-making side of the club might possibly be useful to them (duh).

So what's being done to get the numbers? I wish the Bears all the best in this, but in your efforts to return to the NRL / survive in any meaningful form, this is the most crucial fight you've entered since 1908.

Get it wrong and you won't even be in Jim Beam. Get it right and many things are possible.

Make no mistake - this will decide whether in years to come Norths are a feeder to Belrose or vice versa (OK, I'm being a bit dramatic, but IT IS crucial).

Fanny Batter

Juniors
i wanted 2 go but i didnt join the footy club ill join soon.ive been on holidays shame the bears lost all 3 in the meantime.ill b there this friday nite