What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Sydney Bears back in the NRL

SHOULD THE NORTH SYDNEY BEARS BE LET BACK INTO THE NRL

• YES

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • NO

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • YES AS THE NORTH SYDNEY BEARS PLAYING OUT OF NORTH SYDNEY OVAL

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • YES AS THE NORTHERN BEARS PLAYING OUT OF GOSFORD

Votes: 55 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
when the nrl was done the sharks finances were very poor.

news ltd had loaned them millions to keep afloat.

only now are the clubs finances (revenues) growing well.

yes the assets are strong but unless they sold them, they didnt do much for the clubs revenues.

without going to SL, cronulla would never have survived being swallowed up by saints or kicked out.

if you are honest as a RL fan then youll see where im coming from

Dally, I'm not arguing the past and like you I too don't like the outcome of that entire mess, but we cannot change the past or hold people that didn't make those decisions accountable. There were club, super league and ARL people who have made some quite stupid decisions in the past,but the challenge is how to move forward rather than dwell on the past.

IMO we may all not like what the NRL ends up suggesting in time as a national competition as I feel all Sydney clubs will end up affected.

I think we get overly caught up in throwing personal jibes at each other than looking at realistic outcomes.

Dally, I'm not arguing the past and like you I too don't like the outcome of that entire mess, but we cannot change the past or hold people that didn't make those decisions accountable. There were club, super league and ARL people who have made some quite stupid decisions in the past,but the challenge is how to move forward rather than dwell on the past.

IMO we may all not like what the NRL ends up suggesting in time as a national competition as I feel all Sydney clubs will end up affected.

I think we get overly caught up in throwing personal jibes at each other than looking at realistic outcomes.

fair enough post.

but imagine if it was your club that was dead now.

the bears definately should be back.

it wont make people forget about SL but it will help.

plus its good for RL.

girvie

Staff member
I'm making no conclusions. If the Central Coast have a team, don't you think for marketing and money reasons it'd be better that it be a Central Coast team, not a relocated team that a large portion of the public may not support? No one knows how many Bears fans there are on the Central Coast, but if Gallop announced that the Central Coast had won a bid to have their own team you can rest assured the whole area will get behind a Central Coast team more than a relocated team. That's simply logic.
There would be far more fans who would support a Central Coast team because it was known as the Bears than those who would not support a Central Coast team that was not a completely new club. The other advantage is that a Central Coast Bears has over a completely new Central Coast team is the presence that would be maintained to the North Shore – part of the Bears proposal The Bears have merchandise stalls set up at many of the Nrl games played at Gosford and I’m told that the response is always very positive towards the Bears from the Central Coast residents.

You can’t lump the Bears in with other clubs when talking about relocating Sydney teams to the Central Coast. The Bears have had strong links with the Central Coast throughout its history and the Bears had done heaps of work in the Central Coast community in the lead up to moving there (but also before hand). The majority of the Central Coast rugby league fans were supportive of the Bears move to the Central Coast.

They weren't strong off the field. We've already gone over this. They were put in the hands of administrators, they had debt.

You need to look at the situation in context. The Bears had been very strong off the field however 1999 was a very different year. What happened was that the stadium was actually supposed to be ready before the 1999 season started, however there were delays with construction due to weather etc which meant the costs blew out but just as importantly it meant that the Bears couldn’t play there. So the Bears weren’t getting as much money in through gate takings, merchandise etc because we didn’t have a proper home ground that year. The Central Coast Stadium was ready for 2000 and had the Bears been playing there in 2000 their finances have improved substantially because they would have had there income back to there normally good levels and also wouldn’t have had to deal with the outlays involved in building a stadium.

T to the T

Juniors
Northern Bears, 9 games in CC, 3 in NSO and bring back the feel-good factor to Sydney

Western Reds in Perth

2012... Let's make this the year that the NRL takes the fight to the opposition codes instead of sitting on their f*cking arses as per usual:x