What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northants v Australians at Northampton 24-26 July

munge

Juniors
Aus declared at 8-308. Not fussed with that score when you play 5 batsman, one of whom retires, and then mcdonald and manou.

In reply there 3-110. Was going nicely at 3-56 with Clark 2-26 off 8 all but booking his spot for the next test. Johnson has come on and has 0-37 off 6 - oh dear.

munge

Juniors
Watson to replace North next test please

I dont know if your serious but I agree. England is such a different kettle of fish to other countries and you have to make some tough calls. North will get alot of runs in tests in Australia on our wickets, but right now we have to make a tough call with a struggling attack and just get Watson in there. Even if Watsons just bowling 6 overs an innings, if it can take some of the load off ur main 3 quicks its helping.

That and I still am not sold on North as a bat against good attacks. Despite having hundreds against England and SA, 2 of the best attacks in the world, I just think atm we are better served with Watson there.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Watson gets 2 wickets, that settles his spot. He must be in the final 11. Siddle, Clark, Watson have 2 wickets each. Johnson was expensive but started to bowl better in his last few overs.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Just play

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin/Watson
Watson/Haddin
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Siddle
Clark

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Johnson will play, that tail is WAY too long if Nathan Hauritz is at 8. Siddle at 9 hardly inspires me with much confidence, as it is England have a better tail. Swap Johnson with Clark and you have our final 11 UNLESS Clark gets 5 in the 2nd innings.

TheParraboy

Staff member
NSW back up keeper

IanG said:
Aw yeah I know who your talkin' about now

In the words of Gus Gould ......."NO, NO, NO, NO"

Darren Smith was brought into a kangaroos test, after Chris Anderson (or was it Bennett?)went outside his touring party squad and pulled him from super league

Daniel Smith is the blues wicket keeper

cheers

This tour game have revealed two things:

Stuart Clark must be picked no matter what (though one could say he should have been picked the first two tests no matter what too, and thus we are dealing with a bunch of mentally challenged selectors who don't know squat)

Watson should be picked.

If Clark replaces Johnson, our tail becomes LOOOONG! But Johnson's inept bowling performances negate his batting. I would rather Clark get 3/60 off 25 overs and hit 10 runs then Johnson get 3/130 off 25 overs and hit 40 runs.

We could also replace Siddle with Watson, thereby negating the loss of Johnson's batting and actually would strengthen our batting with not much loss to our bowling

BUT if we did this, Watson would get injured in the first over and be out the rest of the test

So my test side would be:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Hauritz
Siddle
Clark
Hilfenhaus

OR if feeling like taking a bit more risks

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Watson
Haddin
Hauritz
Clark
Hilfenhaus

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Hauritz
Siddle
Clark
Hilfenhaus

This would be a seriously long tail. We still don't know if Watson has what it takes at this level, his Test average certainly doesn't give me confidence so instead of our tail starting at 9 it would start at 7. If Watson and Clark were coming in it probably would have to be for Siddle and North.

munge

Juniors
Gee its a tough call.

As mentioned if we drop Johnson for Clark , having that tail could be diassterous. I knwo ur batsman are there to bat and ur bowlers are there to bowl, but the runs ur last 4 get can make such a difference.

BUT, Australia must make a change. We cant go into the next test with that same 4 man attack.

Maybe just dropping north or hughes for Watson which adds the 4th quick then Johnson or Siddle for Clark.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Notch bowled crap again, he really is struggling.

I dont think we can afford to play him in a test match on his current form or we can kiss the ashes goodbye

munge

Juniors
Are any of you watching it or justgoing off what you read?

Just the way some people talk it seems they may have coverage?

Timbo

Staff member
Johnson really has to go. He has cost us so dearly in the first two tests and we can't afford to carry him anymore.

aussies1st

Staff member
We have seen what Notch's problem is during the 1st and 2nd Test. Him going for 6 an over is pretty obvious to know why.

beads6

First Grade
Siddle to make way for Clark and North for Watson. Aussies need 4 quicks and they shouldn't drop Hauritz he has done really well all things considered... Johnson will most likely be selected for the 3rd test but if he doesn't perform that will be it for him. I think Johnson just needs to come out bowling as qucik as he can and get angry and try and hurt the Pommy clowns.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
i loev johnson when hes fired up but at the moment he wouldn't strike fear into a school side... hes bowling with no confidence, yes his batting can coem handy but as previously said id rather clark with figures of 3 for 60 and 10runs than johnson 3 for 130 and 30 to 40 runs