What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Eagles. Central Coast. Gosford

docbrown

Coach
Manly tried sending players and staff to rep clinics, schools etc in the 2010s and got met with howls of protest from the Bears and no support from the NRL.
So what you're saying is that Manly are afraid of a team that aren't even in the NRL so they now won't even try. Seriously, who cares if the Bears protest? They can only protest to the NRL, and their argument is that there are no other NRL teams in the area so it's up for grabs.

Honestly, there's no non-compete cause here. It seems like 'too hard, won't try' really.

reanimate

Bench
So what you're saying is that Manly are afraid of a team that aren't even in the NRL so they now won't even try. Seriously, who cares if the Bears protest? They can only protest to the NRL, and their argument is that there are no other NRL teams in the area so it's up for grabs.

Honestly, there's no non-compete cause here. It seems like 'too hard, won't try' really.
If Manly or another team invests in the area, Norths juniors feed into Norths rep teams and then into the current Norths partner club arrangement. Not very beneficial for the team investing, but potentially beneficial if the NRL makes a future call on the area and hands over control of development to the team investing. If that team invests in the area and the NRL makes the call that the Bears are returning, and lets them retain the North Shore, the team investing in the area has wasted their money investing in an area controlled by a now rival NRL club.

The Roosters weren’t jumping at the chance to get spending on Souths territories when they got kicked out of the comp for the same reason. Without clarity on Souths’ future, it would be wasted money.

flippikat

Bench
If Manly or another team invests in the area, Norths juniors feed into Norths rep teams and then into the current Norths partner club arrangement. Not very beneficial for the team investing, but potentially beneficial if the NRL makes a future call on the area and hands over control of development to the team investing. If that team invests in the area and the NRL makes the call that the Bears are returning, and lets them retain the North Shore, the team investing in the area has wasted their money investing in an area controlled by a now rival NRL club.

The Roosters weren’t jumping at the chance to get spending on Souths territories when they got kicked out of the comp for the same reason. Without clarity on Souths’ future, it would be wasted money.
Precisely. The North Sydney District area needs a definitive call on it's feeder status.

The current set-up of them drifting from being feeder to one NRL club, to another, then another - constantly having to change horses when NRL clubs decide to field their OWN-branded NSW Cup teams - is NOT sustainable.

What happens if/when Manly, Cronulla & Melbourne finally decide to enter their teams in NSW cup under their own branding?

It's probably very likely for Manly & Cronulla - so I'm guessing if Melbourne keep to a Sydney feeder arrangement (just for the convenience/cost saving of having feeder club in Sydney) then it becomes a tussle between Norths & Newtown to "get in" with Melbourne, and who-ever doesn't is under some pressure.

In that regard, the current hook-up with Melbourne looks a pretty shrewd move on the part of the Bears.

MugaB

Coach
Precisely. The North Sydney District area needs a definitive call on it's feeder status.

The current set-up of them drifting from being feeder to one NRL club, to another, then another - constantly having to change horses when NRL clubs decide to field their OWN-branded NSW Cup teams - is NOT sustainable.

What happens if/when Manly, Cronulla & Melbourne finally decide to enter their teams in NSW cup under their own branding?

It's probably very likely for Manly & Cronulla - so I'm guessing if Melbourne keep to a Sydney feeder arrangement (just for the convenience/cost saving of having feeder club in Sydney) then it becomes a tussle between Norths & Newtown to "get in" with Melbourne, and who-ever doesn't is under some pressure.

In that regard, the current hook-up with Melbourne looks a pretty shrewd move on the part of the Bears.
Not really, they were their feeder club 20 some years ago too, plus its pretty rich for a manly fan to talk up what north shore should be doing with its feeder status.... fmd... you do know manly wouldn't exist if bears hadn't let you join the comp in 1947, they were asked, and they accepted that it would be good for region, if they had their time again, it would probably be a flat out "no fk way"

flippikat

Bench
Not really, they were their feeder club 20 some years ago too, plus its pretty rich for a manly fan to talk up what north shore should be doing with its feeder status.... fmd... you do know manly wouldn't exist if bears hadn't let you join the comp in 1947, they were asked, and they accepted that it would be good for region, if they had their time again, it would probably be a flat out "no fk way"
Lol.. I'm not a Manly fan for a start.

But setting that aside, I stand by my point.

The current situation just makes no sense, and is only exacerbated by the powers-that-be refusing to step-up and make a call on feeder arrangements & pathways to NRL clubs.

MugaB

Coach

The current situation just makes no sense, and is only exacerbated by the powers-that-be refusing to step-up and make a call on feeder arrangements & pathways to NRL clubs.
My bad i saw reanimates avatar, i assumed he wrote this rubbish... my apologies, yet the insult still stands who are you to dictate who gets whos juniors, the bears are still a massive presence in 2nd tier, are we to take away Wynnum manlys juniors and hand them over to the broncos, or east tigers to the dolphins, just coz... if they have aspirations to join 1st grade one day (as many 2nd teir clubs do, just as redclife did) they'll need to be club running their business as they've always done, not be pilfered by the nearby NRL club that doesn't produce any juniors

Canard

Immortal
Wynnum manlys juniors and hand them over to the broncos, or east tigers to the dolphins, just coz...
It doesn't work that way in QLD.

Only Sydney has the antiquated junior catchment boundaries.

And even then, there is no law or rule that says a "junior" must play for anyone.

MugaB

Coach
It doesn't work that way in QLD.

Only Sydney has the antiquated junior catchment boundaries.

And even then, there is no law or rule that says a "junior" must play for anyone.
Yes but they feed other NRL teams, is what im getting at, no one can come in and state from now on you bears feed manly for the next 2 seasons, its their own decision

reanimate

Bench
Manly exists as an NRL club today, the Bears don’t. As you pointed out, the two regions were basically once treated as one from a RL standpoint and they should be again.

Exactly, allowing this situation to continue as it has for the past 20+ years has done untold damage, damage that could have been avoided or have been greatly reduced if the game’s administrators had done something other than sit on their hands and kick the can down the road. It’s bizarre how little attention it gets outside of whatever the latest return of the Bears story is.

I
Yes but they feed other NRL teams, is what im getting at, no one can come in and state from now on you bears feed manly for the next 2 seasons, its their own decision
They shouldn’t have any say over the direction of development in the area at all. When Newtown got kicked out of the comp, they had their catchment divided up between nearby rivals for this very reason. Teams like Souths naturally grew in support in former Jets areas as they were given licence to do so and it was made clear by the governing body by removing Newtown’s catchment from them.

North Sydney Bears don't owe Manly anything.

It's a shame the Bears weren't allowed to move to the Central Coast. If they were given a licence as the Central Coast Bears then they would be playing at a ground that is better than Brookvale and have North Sydney's juniors all to themselves.

A strong argument can be made for Central Coast Bears, Brisbane Tigers and South Island for the next three licences. All three teams will provide access to strong player nurseries and have the potential to develop sizeable fanbases.

MugaB

Coach
Manly exists as an NRL club today, the Bears don’t. As you pointed out, the two regions were basically once treated as one from a RL standpoint and they should be again.

Exactly, allowing this situation to continue as it has for the past 20+ years has done untold damage, damage that could have been avoided or have been greatly reduced if the game’s administrators had done something other than sit on their hands and kick the can down the road. It’s bizarre how little attention it gets outside of whatever the latest return of the Bears story is.

I

They shouldn’t have any say over the direction of development in the area at all. When Newtown got kicked out of the comp, they had their catchment divided up between nearby rivals for this very reason. Teams like Souths naturally grew in support in former Jets areas as they were given licence to do so and it was made clear by the governing body by removing Newtown’s catchment from them.
Geez this is windbag talk here... not one bears fan would ever give any manly fan or its backstabbing club any leg up, you guys fkd the merger so now you have no north shore catchment, simple as, the club didn't go away it still has its roots in the northern suburbs, you can continue to divie up blacktown workers for the rest of your backstabbing days

reanimate

Bench
Geez this is windbag talk here... not one bears fan would ever give any manly fan or its backstabbing club any leg up, you guys fkd the merger so now you have no north shore catchment, simple as, the club didn't go away it still has its roots in the northern suburbs, you can continue to divie up blacktown workers for the rest of your backstabbing days
Of course Bears fans and the Bears as a club aren’t going to do anything or allow anything that would help Manly, that’s why it’s incumbent on the game’s governing bodies to make decisions for the betterment of the game to not allow situations like this to occur.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Of course Bears fans and the Bears as a club aren’t going to do anything or allow anything that would help Manly, that’s why it’s incumbent on the game’s governing bodies to make decisions for the betterment of the game to not allow situations like this to occur.
For many years Manly have ignored their own home the northern beaches in favour of bringing kids in from Blacktown.
From U13’s up North Sydney junior clubs join the Manly junior competitions but the competition is very ordinary.
The NRL really should have forced the Northern Eagles to work instead of just adhering to Ken Arthurson’ and Bob Fultons wishes and just handing the NRL license back to Manly.

reanimate

Bench
For many years Manly have ignored their own home the northern beaches in favour of bringing kids in from Blacktown.
From U13’s up North Sydney junior clubs join the Manly junior competitions but the competition is very ordinary.
The NRL really should have forced the Northern Eagles to work instead of just adhering to Ken Arthurson’ and Bob Fultons wishes and just handing the NRL license back to Manly.
I agree, the Blacktown arrangement is bizarre and isn’t helpful long term.

I also agree about the merge. If the original arrangement fell apart, it should have been forced to continue in some form. One way of doing so would have been to dissolve both the Manly and North Sydney catchments and merge them into one at lower levels, then no matter which party ended up with control of the NRL licence also had control of both areas going forward.

MugaB

Coach
I agree, the Blacktown arrangement is bizarre and isn’t helpful long term.

I also agree about the merge. If the original arrangement fell apart, it should have been forced to continue in some form. One way of doing so would have been to dissolve both the Manly and North Sydney catchments and merge them into one at lower levels, then no matter which party ended up with control of the NRL licence also had control of both areas going forward.
Luckly they didn't, coz we all know manly had both the ARL/NRL administrators back them to the hilt, im glad to see you squirm your insight regarding what the bears should do with their catchment, while they play for the nswcup and feed the storm

Arhurson is the most destructive administrator in the history of the game. In 1995 he introduced four expansion teams under the stipulation that they had to cover the travel and accommodation costs for all teams that they played against. This decision played a large role in bankrupting the clubs and gave them no choice but to sign with News Ltd.

He then stabbed North Sydney Bears in the back to save his favourite team.

In the early 90s he created an unnecessary war with the Broncos that sowed the seeds for Super League.