What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern NSW team

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
With the talk of expansion I’m surprised the Port Mac to Coffs area isn’t considered especially if the central coast is. It’s so close to Newcastle. May have been good 10 years ago but now?
It’s a great nursery up there on the north coast , ask the Queenslanders :eek:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Probably because:
1) The cumulative population of both is under 150,000 (Port Mac ~48k, Coffs ~72k)
2) Difficult to access and limited public transport options.
3) Whilst developing good talent there, there’s not enough of it there to sustain the team, particularly as Newcastle and Gold Coast (Northern Rivers) likely already use those catchments.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Probably because:
1) The cumulative population of both is under 150,000 (Port Mac ~48k, Coffs ~72k)
2) Difficult to access and limited public transport options.
3) Whilst developing good talent there, there’s not enough of it there to sustain the team, particularly as Newcastle and Gold Coast (Northern Rivers) likely already use those catchments.

Fair points but that’s not much different to Gosford who has a population of about 150k as well
Surely the catchment area of Coffs to port Mac would be about 250k. And train and motorway is a very easy trip.

being up here for holidays at the moment, RL is certainly the chosen sport.

I know it won’t happen it I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Feed the nursery and watch it grow

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair points but that’s not much different to Gosford who has a population of about 150k as well
Surely the catchment area of Coffs to port Mac would be about 250k. And train and motorway is a very easy trip.

I know it won’t happen it I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Feed the nursery and watch it grow

Why a second division or better run NSW cup is needed. Not big enough for NRL but would benefit from a local side and professional pathway.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors

But Gosford is only 1 area with a population of approx 150k, not 2 seperate areas with less than that. Gosford is also more accessible by public transport (frequent rail system between Newcastle & Sydney for starters).

how frequently and how long is the trip by train and Motorway from Sydney? Or Newcastle? Coffs is about 5hrs from the Gold Coast. That’s not exactly a short trip.

mid the population of Coffs & Port are under 150k, I don’t think you can really say the catchment for those areas would be near 250k. There’s a good portion of the population there that are retirees, so the catchment in Port & Coffs is probably only only 1/3 of that population.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I’m not denying the talent in the area, but just because there is talent there doesn’t mean it needs its own NRL team. If the kids are good enough the scouts will find them.... also, if the kids want a shot at the NRL then sometimes they have to go chase it. That means having to leave their home area.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I think Red is correct. I've said countless times that our regions need to be loved and developed

a 2nd tier team here would be ideal here. Do we really need Blacktown playing Wentworthville & Mount Pritchard in reserve grade?

All regions need to be supported by the NRL and the clubs

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Absolutely that the NRL as a governing body needs to look after the area, but not with an NRL licence. Definitely agree that a Reserve grade team would be beneficial.

Unfortunately those clubs have butt loads of money behind them because they’re backed by leagues clubs and are happy to stump up the cash to play in the Canterbury Cup. They’re too valuable to NSWRL to not have them there. If there was something similar in the Port/Coffs area then I’m sure they too would be included.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Absolutely that the NRL as a governing body needs to look after the area, but not with an NRL licence. Definitely agree that a Reserve grade team would be beneficial.

Unfortunately those clubs have butt loads of money behind them because they’re backed by leagues clubs and are happy to stump up the cash to play in the Canterbury Cup. They’re too valuable to NSWRL to not have them there. If there was something similar in the Port/Coffs area then I’m sure they too would be included.

Panthers own clubs in port and Coffs from memory and Mounties own probably 5 or 6 other venues.

perhaps PVL can encourage them to spread their wings

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Panthers own clubs in port and Coffs from memory and Mounties own probably 5 or 6 other venues.

perhaps PVL can encourage them to spread their wings
I'm sure they do own properties in those locations which adds to their funding but if I were those businesses, I'd prefer my club in a player/supporter/commercial base closer to Sydney rather than out in the mid-north coast. They're going to think of their bottom line at the end of the day and what is best for business. The NRL/NSWRL would have to give those clubs like Mounties or Panthers a significant incentive to change.

jim_57

Staff member
Why a second division or better run NSW cup is needed. Not big enough for NRL but would benefit from a local side and professional pathway.

Agreed, NSW Cup could have 2-3 teams in regional centres. Even if it's just Coffs to the North & Wagga to the South.

Capras, Pride, Cutters etc seem to do ok based in "smaller" population centres.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed, NSW Cup could have 2-3 teams in regional centres. Even if it's just Coffs to the North & Wagga to the South.

Capras, Pride, Cutters etc seem to do ok based in "smaller" population centres.

Many SL clubs are based in towns smaller than these regions and seem to do ok to run professional clubs. Needs a good TV deal and crowds of 5-10k and you could have a fully professional second tier. The reliance on pokie machines has dictated and in many ways held the game back for a long time.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
All future NRL licences must be from a big city market in either Australia or NZ. Leave the regional areas to a future NRL 2 comp or to the state leagues - they are quality leagues in their own right and are the right place for regional teams to enter

Latest posts