What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northies

MEE

Juniors
What is this Northies Im always hearing about....? All I know is that it's in Sutherland somewhere and some players go there.

Forgive me Im from the 'other' side of Sydney.

troy

Juniors
On the beach at Nth Cronulla - was a nick name for North Cronulla Hotel , so when they fixed it up they kept the name ..

Trust me mate you're not missing much ...

cheese

Bench
troy said:
On the beach at Nth Cronulla - was a nick name for North Cronulla Hotel , so when they fixed it up they kept the name ..

Trust me mate you're not missing much ...

bullllllllshit !!!!!! <-banter

Northies is the pinnacle of shireisms .......Its gods castle

whether you're having a lazy beer watching the cricket in the sports bar, or hitting it hard on the weekend, the place is gold.

The fleb factor is low, and the chick factor is immense - what more could you ask for?!

IMO it kills those pommie ridden cesspools 'round coogie way

gunnamatta bay

Referee
To the best of knowledge its now in it's fourth incarnation. Original photos show a large double story house like building surrounded by very old 20s style cars. Trust me the Cecil Hotel at South Cronulla always left it for dead. It had a real beer garden with real grass and real palm trees and real sunlight to bask in.

Alas they ripped it down and built a monstrosity.

Does anyone remember Fiddlers wine bar which is now the Brass Monkey. I once saw the Angels there in their infancy. They only sold wine and cider which packed a wallop.

beerboy

Juniors
Coogee Bay Hotel is good
and i think that guys talking about more North as in Northern Beaches

The Popper

Bench
You're right about the old Cecil, GM. And those R & R dances in the ballroom too. I used to like the old beer garden at the Sutho Royal too.
Sharkies play at Sutho Oval then back to the Royal for a few jugs and good country music on stage.

Aries

Bench
Gunna Matter said:
To the best of knowledge its now in it's fourth incarnation. Original photos show a large double story house like building surrounded by very old 20s style cars. Trust me the Cecil Hotel at South Cronulla always left it for dead. It had a real beer garden with real grass and real palm trees and real sunlight to bask in.

Alas they ripped it down and built a monstrosity.

Does anyone remember Fiddlers wine bar which is now the Brass Monkey. I once saw the Angels there in their infancy. They only sold wine and cider which packed a wallop.

I saw the "Angels" at Gymea Pub... it was the last band Vic Patrick ever had there... 800 people went balistic in the "lounge" that night. There was hardnly a table, chair or glass, still in one piece.

One thing I do remember is that there was no fights. Bikers, Rockers and Surfs were all there and in peace...

BTW, The Cecil was where you scored your drugs, if you were stupid, and Northies was where you went for a good time, a relaxing drink, pick up a few babes or just hang out.... It was "casual dress" during the days and not much more for the nights...

I have no idea what it's like now, but by cheeses comments, not much has changed. ;-)

Anonymous

Juniors
unless they were some freako-punko-arthouse sort of goon

Dude, I'd classify myself as a freako-punko-arthouse sort of goon and even I enjoy the place. You'd need a better excuse than that.

Shame about nearly every other establishment in the Shire though.

SirShire

First Grade
El Garbo said:
Shame about nearly every other establishment in the Shire though.

With the exceptions being made for Elevate (formally Hunters in Sutho) and the Vinyl Room.

Long live Northies!

SirShire

First Grade
My mate's stepdad went there with some mates for a joke. 2 fat chicks asked one of the blokes to come home with them !! :shock: :oops:

Coogee Bay Hotel is good
I dont know why people rave on about coogee bay hotel
Every time I've been there it has been totally boring
Whats more, I dont do drugs but I object to being sniffed by police sniffer dogs INSIDE a pub, dont they have real crimes to fight?
Plus the chicks arent as good as at northies, though I must say that name "Mango Jam" is an embarrassment and the dingy little pub bit on the corner of the coogee bay hotel goes alright when there is a good band playing

Shark

Bench
Haha, the CBH...It used to be good, in the late 1980s before the pommie backpackers and the Roosters players discovered it!

SirShire

First Grade
ShireShark said:
Coogee Bay Hotel is good
I dont know why people rave on about coogee bay hotel
Every time I've been there it has been totally boring
Whats more, I dont do drugs but I object to being sniffed by police sniffer dogs INSIDE a pub, dont they have real crimes to fight?
Plus the chicks arent as good as at northies, though I must say that name "Mango Jam" is an embarrassment and the dingy little pub bit on the corner of the coogee bay hotel goes alright when there is a good band playing

LOL Shark. From what I have heard, NYE at CBH was absolutely shithouse.

Latest posts