What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not another friggin finals double-header

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I don't think that's possible

No I'm sure you're right mate.

Just making a point more than anything.

I really don't care if it was the Sharks, Dragons or whoever.

If the game is going to draw 15 to 20k then why have it played in a quarter empty stadium?

Same debate every year and same d*ckheads making it out to be a personal thing to do with one club.

Its embarrassing watching these club games at empty stadiums on TV. More so in finals footy.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
In the 90s it didn't matter who played in semi s at sfs.

We mostly got 25k +.

Including Cronulla. Norths. Canberra. Illawarra.

People just went.

What happened ??

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ahh those were the days. Difference was it was played on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

I think the Brisbane Vs Illawarra semi got almost 40,000.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Victoria:
Melbourne: AAMI Park, Etihad Stadium, MCG

Its highly unlikely Storm would ever play at the MCG during September for obvious reasons down there.

Etihad maybe, as they have done in the past.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'd rather 15000 at the SFS then a full house at Shitvale oval. If the Manly fans won't travel than f**k them.

no name

Referee
Ahh those were the days. Difference was it was played on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Yeah, daytime footy makes a big difference.
f**king 9 the merkins.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I'd rather 15000 at the SFS then a full house at Shitvale oval. If the Manly fans won't travel than f**k them.

Once again genius, my issue is not a Manly-centric one.

I am talking about any Sydney team playing an out of town team. Of course it depends on the teams involved.

How many would Sharks v Cowboys attract at the SFS? :roll:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't care who it is, Manly, Cronulla, f**king Annandale: if Sydney teams don't have enough fans to get a decent crowd at a Sydney stadium than maybe they should give up and play hopscotch. You can blame channel 9, the weather, the lack of cushioning in the seats, whatever you like. The bottom line is its finals time. If you're a fan of your team then make the effort to go and see them or f**k off and stop complaining.

Valheru

Coach
So it is now confirmed that Manly/Roosters will finish 1 and 2 and play at SFS next week. It is likely that at least one of Storm/Cowboys will play at home possibly both leaving the possibility for either dogs or panthers to host the final game at ANZ.

It is very unlikely that penrith/dogs finish 5 and 6 meaning 2 games at ANZ so it doesnt look like a double header is necessary even if Swans lose

Fri - SFS
Sat Arv - SFS
Sat Night - Melb/QLD
Sun Arvo - ANZ

Danny-Boy

Juniors

Yeah those were the days. Daytime finals and Grand Final. Also the finals weren't live on TV, so you had an easy 30-40 thousand.

Instead, now we have people saying it's too cold and late, I'll just watch it on TV.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nr...abbitohs-territory/1fol4klur5weg110t2uzwi07io

If you thought hostilities between the Roosters and Rabbitohs were already fierce, stand-by for all-out war if the play-off schedule dictates the Bondi club has to play its qualifying final at Souths' home ground next weekend.

Despite finishing ahead of the Bunnies on the table, the higher-placed Roosters could be forced to play the match away from Allianz Stadium at the much bigger ANZ Stadium should NRL officials deem the Homebush venue more suitable.

That scenario could play out if Manly clinch the minor premiership on Saturday night, leaving the Roosters and Rabbitohs to play in the 2 v 3 play-off game in the first week of the finals.

The NRL will release the finals schedule on Sunday once the top eight positions are confirmed.

More than 32,000 braved the wet and cold to watch the Roosters hold off a fast-finishing Souths 22-18 on Thursday night, while a regular season record crowd of 59,708 watched the century-old rivals go at it at Homebush in round 26 last year.

A crowd of 40-55,000 is not out of the question should the two teams meet again in the first week of the finals.

That prospect may be enough to convince the NRL to stage the match at ANZ Stadium – the Rabbitohs home since 2006 - in a move that is sure to anger the Roosters.

Told of the possible ground switch, Roosters captain Anthony Minichiello told Sportal: "I'm not sure. We'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

"I don't think they would shift it but it's out of our control.
"We'll just have to see what happens over the weekend."

Rabbitohs captain John Sutton added: "We wouldn't knock it back. That's where we play our home games so it would be good.

"But in saying that, I wouldn't mind coming back here (to Allianz) because we always get a good crowd.

"It doesn't matter to us. We don't make these decisions."

Roosters Trent Robinson was unaware of the potential venue scheduling when approached by Sportal following Thursday night's win over the Bunnies.

He is assuming the Roosters, as the higher placed team, will play at Allianz.

The NRL may still grant him his wish, especially if they find themselves on a collision course with the AFL.

If the Sydney Swans lose their qualifying final match on Saturday, they will play an elimination semi-final at ANZ Stadium on either September 12 or 13.

My crystal ball sees the SFS hosting 2 NRL next week.

Going off the TAB favourites we'd have Roosters v Penrith and Manly hosting Souths.

The problem is in Week 2 of the NRL Finals and AFL Finals Week 3.

If The Swans beat Fremantle this weekend(Swans are TAb Favourites) they will play on the 19 or 20 September at ANZ.

Based on rankings, Souths and Penrith (as week 1 losers - based on favourites again) would be awarded a home semi final at ANZ Stadium for NRL Week 2, to play the winners or 5v8 or 6v7 (more than likely Souths v Storm, Penrith v Nth Qld)

The concern is 1 game of AFl and 2 games of Aussie Rules wont fit in 2 days!

insert.pause

First Grade
I don't care who it is, Manly, Cronulla, f**king Annandale: if Sydney teams don't have enough fans to get a decent crowd at a Sydney stadium than maybe they should give up and play hopscotch. You can blame channel 9, the weather, the lack of cushioning in the seats, whatever you like. The bottom line is its finals time. If you're a fan of your team then make the effort to go and see them or f**k off and stop complaining.

:clap:

Rabbits20

Immortal
what difference does it make. Roosters will still win.

It will be at Allianz next week for Roosters. If Roosters play Souths I am very confident Souths can win. Roosters have no Nuuasala, Napa, Guerra and Friend they could be a bit vulnerable next week. Their poor discipline will affect them as well. The refs won't let them get away with it as much next week considering how many shoulder charges and high shots they did. Souths would look to shut down Pearce.

I think Souths would narrowly win. Reynolds will take strong control of Souths kicking game. He was really missed the other night.

Credit does go to the Roosters for their win though the other night they were a bit better and had more polish which Souths lacked.

The sin bin changed that game as well. I'm happy that most people think Roosters would beat Souths in a match next week. I would rather Souths be the underdogs and surprise.

Latest posts