What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Singing the Anthem

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't sing it either.

But the calls for a different anthem for the indigenous are a bit much. They aren't a different country and if you are an Australian it represents you like it or not (which I don't, it's not a great song). There's nothing offensive in it, it's generic as all hell, it's only been the anthem since 1984. It's also not as simple as including a verse in an indigenous language like the NZ anthem as we have about 300 indigenous languages and about 50 of those are still around.
Someone pointed this out this morning - apparently the reason there wasn't an Indigenous rendition of last night's anthem is that it hasn't been translated into the native language of the Melbourne region? That's fair enough.

On the topic itself, as many have said it's a shit anthem who cares

deluded pom?

Coach
You lot don’t know what a shit anthem is. Try the dirge we have. It’s even worse for us republican atheists. I’m surprised they actually play it before our national teams play in case it insults some far left middle class white people who are outraged on some ethnic minority’s behalf.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Shouldnt force people to sing the anthemn, thats shit China would pull...

Easy fix is either to play it without lyrics or do an indigenous versios (Like the Kiwis do)

Done.

Dakink

Bench
I sing it....dont give a shit if you dont. Free countey so who really cares.

Non event and typical gutter journalism.

DIOGENES

Juniors
You lot don’t know what a shit anthem is. Try the dirge we have. It’s even worse for us republican atheists. I’m surprised they actually play it before our national teams play in case it insults some far left middle class white people who are outraged on some ethnic minority’s behalf.
Does England use God save the Queen?
At the Commonwealth games each of the UK’s compnent countries uses its own anthem. From memory England has recently replaced Land of Hope and Glory with Jerusalem; Scotland has replaced Scotland the Brave with Flower of Scotland; Wales has Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau and Northern Ireland is stuck with Danny Boy. Now that each has a RL team (although Ireland plays as a whole island) shouldn’t England have its particular anthem

siv

First Grade
In regards to the anthem

Seems there is a concern in some of the words

In 1970s/80s when chosen the main push was to get rid of God Save the Queen

Now 30 years on its apparent we need another review on how to best represent traditional and modern Australia

In regards to the anthem

Now 30 years on its apparent we need another review on how to best represent traditional and modern Australia
We need to include the trans population also.

DIOGENES

Juniors
In regards to the anthem

But what would you replace it with? I have never seen anything inspiring. The great anthems Marsellaise, Star Spangled Banner, Soviet Hymn were all written when their country faced an existential crisis through invasion - the sort of situation that gets the creative juices flowing. Fortunately Australia is unlikely to face that problem.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I don't see too much difference with RL players in a GF or Origin game have their arms around their team-mates and not sing it.

Even during the two tests last year against the Kiwis and Tonga, there were a few that sung it.

Either they don't want to sing it or cant remember the words.

This bit on Friday night was media driven.

RedVee

First Grade
But what would you replace it with? I have never seen anything inspiring. The great anthems Marsellaise, Star Spangled Banner, Soviet Hymn were all written when their country faced an existential crisis through invasion - the sort of situation that gets the creative juices flowing. Fortunately Australia is unlikely to face that problem.
ABC News theme

China!

DIOGENES

Juniors
The old ABC theme OK
Better was the old theme for NBN3 news in Newcastle

Although every time I hear it I get this strange desire to invade Poland

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Actually thought it was potentially a broader issue for discussion than putting it in international where it will be barely seen.

If its an international issue a moderator will move it in here anyway.

If we clog up the NRL forum with non NRL issues all the real issues get pushed over the next page so it had to be moved.

Cheers

RedVee

First Grade
The old ABC theme OK
Better was the old theme for NBN3 news in Newcastle

Although every time I hear it I get this strange desire to invade Poland
Yeah, it’s called “Majestic Fanfare”.

No words so no-one has to sing it. Plus it is familiar.

I’m not completely joking.