What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notice re Harbour Bridge on Sunday 18 March

astrogirl

First Grade
I saw signs on the harbour bridge today.

It will be closed on Sunday 18 March, which is the first Knights game of the season. This will affect those who are driving from Sydney or Wollongong. I'm not sure if it affects trains.

I am not 100% sure, but I think the sign said that the bridge will be closed from 4am till 11pm.

An alternate route would be to take Victoria Road and then Lane Cove Road, onto the Pacific Hwy. I'm not sure if this is the best way - if it's not, I'm sure I will be corrected :D

Burwood

Bench
I'm not overly familiar with Sydney, but wouldn't they still be able to use the tunnel without many hassles at all?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why would it affect any sane motorist?

Follow Princes Hwy to the #3 and turn out toward Hurstville. Follow the #3 to the #1 at Pymble, go up from there. Only a freakin idiot would travel through the city, particularly on a day like the Harbour Bridge thing.

I live on the Central Coast anyway so I'll just meander up later :D

Burwood said:
I'm not overly familiar with Sydney, but wouldn't they still be able to use the tunnel without many hassles at all?

Apparently the HARBOUR TUNNEL will be fully operational, only the Bridge will be closed.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
the Tunnel would be packed considering it's the only way in and out for a significant amount of time... as I said.... if you have an e-tag maybe even consider doing the loop roads.

astrogirl

First Grade
Burwood said:
Ummm it's probably going to be insanely busy

astrogirl

First Grade
Burwood said:
I'm not overly familiar with Sydney
You don't understand how bad sydney traffic can be.

One lane closure can cause chaos. Traffic jams on Parramatta Road on WEEKENDS. People trying to get to the city for the bridge birthday celebrations, with 10 lanes (or whatever it is) closed.

ffs I am trying to be helpful

Doctor

Bench
Yes, I suspect Sydney will be a bit of a dog's breakfast throughout Sunday, particularly around the CBD and into the Northern suburbs. It would be driving back into the city after the celebrations at night that I'd be worried about. Ultimately, though, Sydney is always terrible -- unless you drive at 3am on a weekday, which it then becomes a bit like Charlestown Road used to be before the bypass was put in... busy, but bearable.

astrogirl

First Grade
lol mac and os

I have decided not to drive up to newy on sunday - I think the traffic will be too bad

going to walk over the bridge instead - my friend has a spare ticket :D

Doctor

Bench
macavity said:
yup.

NFI why people live there.

Depending on the field that you work in, sometimes it's almost an essential move to have to shift to the big smoke. I never wanted to leave Newcastle (and still admire its simplicity of traffic, better air and friendlier people) but had no other option except Centrelink or retail than to move to Sydney. I've been here 12 months, and I'm kind of used to the sheer ridiculousness of the shoddy trains, the busyness and the lack of roads in which to just open the throttle and feel the burn.

The sole advantage: a good job. But it's not for everyone and it's also not an essential shift for many people (a big positive for those of you who fit into this category).