What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now Canberra get a shot at Lyon - SMH

Hurriflatch

Referee
Lyon in limbo as Raiders debate move
By Steve Mascord
August 5, 2004

Errant Australian Test centre Jamie Lyon was yesterday offered to the Canberra Raiders.

After giving permission for Lyon to speak to Penrith, only for the Panthers to turn him down, Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said last night the Eels would consider any approach from a club outside Sydney.

And Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins confirmed Lyon's uncle, Mick Smith, had called to see if they would be interested.

"If living in the country is what he's keen on doing, Canberra's a fairly logical spot for him to be," Hawkins said.

"[But] we've got a bit of a salary cap issue for next year so it would be fairly difficult for us to do something ... we really haven't gone very far with it but we'd be happy to look at the possibilities that might arise."

Fitzgerald had allowed Smith to negotiate with Penrith on behalf of Lyon, while denying Manly the same opportunity.

Asked under what circumstances he would allow Lyon to talk to another club, Fitzgerald said: "Based on what he said about the reason for leaving us, I'd find it very difficult for him to go to another Sydney club."

Lyon told the Eels he didn't like city life and they were willing to let him negotiate with Penrith because of the "semi-rural" nature of the area.

Hawkins admitted: "I don't know what the real story is with Jamie, whether he is available to other clubs at all."

It is thought Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra would be acceptable to Parramatta if Lyon was going to live in Campbelltown or Wollongong.

Asked what he would do if Lyon suggested living somewhere like Wollongong, Fitzgerald said: "I'd at least listen to what Jamie had to say."

But he added at this stage that "we're not looking for anyone or considering anyone" to sign Lyon.

Newcastle chief executive Ken Conway said the Knights could not fit Lyon under their salary cap.

Manly were angered by Fitzgerald's decision to prevent them from talking to Lyon. Sea Eagles CEO Paul Cummings said yesterday he had spoken to NRL chief executive David Gallop about it. He said the club would not take legal action but stressed Manly could afford Lyon without breaching their salary cap.

Gallop said: "Because Jamie Lyon is under contract to Parramatta, they can impose any restrictions they wish on him playing. It is important for players and clubs to respect the sanctity of contracts."

Lyon's agent, Alan Gainey, said he was unconcerned that Smith was acting on his client's behalf.

"Jamie has instructed him to do something," Gainey said. "I'm still there but he's been doing that so you'll have to talk to his uncle. I think [Jamie's] got to get his head around things."

Hurriflatch

Referee
Few points

1. Wasn't Lyon's uncle's name Mick Kelly yesterday???? I guess deed poll works fast these days

2) FRom the sounds of things Fitzy might have something signed by Lyon stating that the main reason he left was due to "city life"

3) Eat s*** and die Manly go GAllop!!!!!

WA Eel

Juniors
When I saw the article, the first thing that came to mind was that Jamie's uncle was "pimping" for him - offering him to anyone with cash up front.

Unreal V

Juniors
I honestly beleive Fitzy is making Lyon eat his own words, you want out then these are your options; outside of Sydney; "don't like city life" I'll show you.

Suitman

Post Whore
There is far more to Lyon leaving Parra than "city life".
If Brian left, I bet he'd be back here in a second.

Suity

Hurriflatch

Referee
Yet another thread turned into a Smith bash from Suity.

I've got nothing against you not liking Smith but do you have to turn every single topic into one??

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
There is far more to Lyon leaving Parra than "city life".
If Brian left, I bet he'd be back here in a second.

Suity

Lyon has publicaly said that he won't be coming back to Parra even if Smith left!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that anywhere except Parra, is where he wants to play

Eels Dude

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
Yet another thread turned into a Smith bash from Suity.

I've got nothing against you not liking Smith but do you have to turn every single topic into one??

I agree, It's getting very boring. Just some of the time it would be good to get into a discussion about the club's future which does not involve Brian Smith. Fitzgerald is doing the right thing here, he's standing firm but still being flexible to Lyon. Jamie has no reason to complain.

GAME FIRST

Juniors
If Smithy leaves then Lyon will come back-simple as that-he cannot stand his lecturing ways- it looks as though no matter how many games we lose that Smithy is to stay so Lyon will be not with us as we did develop him from S G BALL.

The Colonel

Immortal
Guys, I think you'll find that Denis is playing hardball or at least trying to prove a point to Lyon and have him honour his contract. Most clubs would be at or near there salary cap for the 2005 season. Lyon stated his main reason for leaving was he was sick of "city life" and Denis is letting him talk to the clubs who would be considered as outside the "city".

Canberra, Penrith, Dragons and Newcastle would not be able at this stage of the year to slip a player of Lyon's standing into the cap, realistically, without some shuffling or disrupting plans in place. Denis won't offer him to a club he considers as city based......

Stagger eel

Staff member
GAME FIRST said:
If Smithy leaves then Lyon will come back-simple as that-he cannot stand his lecturing ways- it looks as though no matter how many games we lose that Smithy is to stay so Lyon will be not with us as we did develop him from S G BALL.

Lyon will NOT!!! come back to this club regardless he was quoted the very fact!!

GET YOUR f**kEN FACTS RIGHT!!! BEFORE YOU SPIN MORE SHIT!!!...YOUR EASILLY THE GREATEST BULLSHIT ARTIST THATS EVER CONTRIBUTED TO THIS BOARD.

Unless you can prove to us that your right! I will apologise and take the comments back or else POQ!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Colonel Eel said:
Guys, I think you'll find that Denis is playing hardball or at least trying to prove a point to Lyon and have him honour his contract. Most clubs would be at or near there salary cap for the 2005 season. Lyon stated his main reason for leaving was he was sick of "city life" and Denis is letting him talk to the clubs who would be considered as outside the "city".

Canberra, Penrith, Dragons and Newcastle would not be able at this stage of the year to slip a player of Lyon's standing into the cap, realistically, without some shuffling or disrupting plans in place. Denis won't offer him to a club he considers as city based......

I agree mate!

which is why this has come to surface 5 weeks after the june deadline when most clubs no longer have that much room to spend.

good on him.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
I wouldn't mind having him at the Tigers ;-)

Its obvious that he does want to play but not under Smith and well its clear that Manly won't be getting him either :clap:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mighty Tiger said:

Its obvious that he does want to play but not under Smith and well its clear that Manly won't be getting him either :clap:

not before 2007 anyway!

so if or when he does agree play to another club it will only be for atleast 2 years!!...not exactly the sort of player you would build a stable side around.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
eelavation said:
Mighty Tiger said:

not before 2007 anyway!

so if or when he does agree play to another club it will only be for atleast 2 years!!...not exactly the sort of player you would build a stable side around.

We will wait and see given that the Eels have at least started to arrange for talks for Lyon to play with another club he could very be playing next season for someone

The Colonel

Immortal
Mighty Tiger said:
eelavation said:
Mighty Tiger said:

not before 2007 anyway!

We will wait and see given that the Eels have at least started to arrange for talks for Lyon to play with another club he could very be playing next season for someone

The Tiges might have to base themselves solely at Campbelltown to get him though MT ;-)

Latest posts