What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2009 Draw

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Round 1 - March 13 - 16
Sunday
Titans vs. Knights Skilled Park 1.00pm FOX (2.00pm Syd)

Round 2 - March 20 - 23
Monday
Sharks vs. Knights Toyota Stadium 7.00pm FOX

Round 3 - March 27 - 30
Sunday
Rabbitohs vs. Knights Bluetongue Stadium 2.00pm FOX

Round 4 - April 3 – 6 (Aust and NZ Daylight Savings ends at 2am Sun 5th)
Sunday
Knights vs. Sea Eagles Energy Australia Stadium 3:00pm CH9

Round 5 April 10 – 13 (Easter)
Sunday
Knights vs. Warriors Energy Australia Stadium 2.00pm FOX

Jobdog

Live Update Team
4/5 Sunday games is a good thing. Hopefully that early MNF game rules us out for at least the first half of the season :fist:

Yosh

Coach
I think we'll probably lose 3 of those games however 2 away, 2 home and 1 at CC isnt too bad. Hope we win all 5 though...

stevo

Juniors
Likewise JW. However, it's not a bad thing that we don't have a trip up to Suncorp next year, because I'm 0-4 when it comes to the Knights and NSW winning there. However, I will more than likely be going there for Origin 3, so lets hope the Blues have already won the series by then :lol:

Whilst it is god to see you and your old man maybe you should stay home next year :sarcasm:

beckster05

Juniors
Whilst it is god to see you and your old man maybe you should stay home next year :sarcasm:
I tend to agree with you Stevo. Even tho i'm related :oops:, i also think that it be best if they stay home next year. :lol: Although i might try to get to the game at Skilled Park, if I can get the time off work, that is.

mozza91

Coach
I think we'll probably lose 3 of those games however 2 away, 2 home and 1 at CC isnt too bad. Hope we win all 5 though...
We'll win Rounds 2,3 and 5 for sure the first game and Manly will be tough but we beat Manly this year

~knights~

Juniors
Afternoon delight for Newcastle Knights

BY BRETT KEEBLE
20/12/2008 4:00:00 AM

NEWCASTLE will buck the modern trend of NRL under lights by starting next season with four of their first five games on Sunday afternoons, including a mouth-watering home opener against reigning premiers Manly at EnergyAustralia Stadium on April 5.

The Knights kick off their 22nd crusade with three straight road games, against the Titans at Skilled Park (Sunday, March 15), Sharks at Toyota Stadium (Monday, March 23) and Rabbitohs at Bluetongue Stadium (Sunday, March 29) due to renovations at EAS.

They return home for back-to-back Sunday afternoon dates with arch rivals Manly (April 5) and surprise semi-finalists the Warriors (April 12).

Late summer heat and humidity could be a factor against the Gold Coast as the game is scheduled for a 1pm Queensland kick-off to align with live coverage at 2pm (AEST) on pay-TV.

But Knights chief executive Steve Burraston claimed a victory of sorts, having campaigned for more daylight home matches for the past two years after only three in 2007 and four this year.

"We've lobbied pretty hard to the NRL last year and again this year to tell them that Newcastle appreciates Sunday afternoon football, so it's fabulous that [NRL chief operating officer] Graham Annesley and his team have responded and given us two Sundays for our first two home games," Burraston said.

"I'm sure we'll do well on the road in those first three weeks then it will be fabulous to come home for our first home game against Manly, the premiers, a side we love to play against, and we'll be playing for the Malcolm Reilly Trophy as well and that always has a special build-up.

"Sunday afternoon, EnergyAustralia Stadium, Knights against Manly, it couldn't get any better."

Burraston said inclement weather had slowed progress on the new dressing rooms in the north-western corner and the refurbishment of the western grandstand but he was confident the ground would be ready to accommodate an expected bumper crowd for the Manly game.

"We're still working to plan and hopefully we'll have all the seating that we should have available by that first game," he said.

"The only thing that could possibly stop that is a lot more bad weather between now and then."

He said the capacity would be reduced to around 23,000 while work on the western stand continued next year "but that shouldn't really be an issue".

"If you took out 2006, when we averaged about 22,000 people, our season average has been around 18,000 or 19,000 for most years. We get the occasional spike but over the course of a season, we should be OK," he said.

"The biggest difficulty we have is relocating people from the western stand to like seats in the Andrew Johns stand, or corporate boxes in the western stand trying to find suitable boxes in the Andrew Johns stand or the northern or southern hills that will keep those clients satisfied.

"That's just a logistical issue but I'm pretty confident everything will work well, and the Hunter Venues authority have been terrific. Between our own staff and Hunter Venues, logistically we'll be in tune and I don't think there will be too many issues."

Beaten grand finalists Melbourne will host the Wayne Bennett-led Dragons at Olympic Park in the first game of the season on Friday, March 13, while Bennett's old club, Brisbane, welcome the Cowboys to Suncorp Stadium in a Queensland derby to complete the opening night double-header.

Bennett's new side will run out in front of the Nine cameras in four of the opening five rounds.
Parramatta, who did not even make the top eight, will feature in three of the opening five weekends on free-to-air the same number as premiers Manly.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...on-delight-for-newcastle-knights/1391299.aspx

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...n-delight-for-newcastle-knights/1391299.aspx#
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...n-delight-for-newcastle-knights/1391299.aspx#
http://javascript<b></b>:changeFontSize('story',1), post: "
http://javascript<b></b>:changeFontSize('story',-1), post: "
420951.jpg

Jono078

Referee
That's a really tough draw, We are playing 4 out of 5 teams that IMO will make the 8, and perhaps even 3 of them top 4!

I'm hoping for 3 wins, that will be a real good start.

Hanscholo

Bench
I doubt we will have any origin problems this year. Although, NSW selectors seem to get a hard on for anyone playing for Newcastle so its hard to say. But honestly, id doubt we will be missing anymore than Gidley. We may actually profit from Origin this year, i cant even recall what that was like.

The draw is always unfair, you can paint a picture for it being unfair every single season. That wont change until you have two full rounds vs each team and an origin series with a week off. Even then people will moan about injuries.

If your team is good enough they'll make it. If not, they wont.

Yosh

Coach
I know I'm gonna get paid out for this... HOWEVER our stocks for centres and wingers arent all that great this year (we being NSW) I am probably being

ambitious however I really do see either McManus or Uate getting shot on the wing spot. Come on we all know that both Jimmy and Uate s**ts on Quinn...

I think Patto will also get a good hard look in. Simmos past it and I dont think Cross should play Origin.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Im one of Jimmy Mac's biggest fans and even I think he has bugger all chance of an Origin spot.

You are one in a million Yosh :lol:

mozza91

Coach
Jimmy won't make it but it's NSW's loss he is so solid mistake free and a great defender always knows when to come in. I'd rate him above Turner and Quinn for sure.

BG

Juniors
The draw is always unfair, you can paint a picture for it being unfair every single season. That wont change until you have two full rounds vs each team and an origin series with a week off. Even then people will moan about injuries.

To me, there's a big difference between an unfair draw and other factors of luck that are part of the fabric of the game (injuries, bounce of the ball, refs decisions and the like). Those things actually create some of the interest in the comp: whether a club bolsters its depth or gambles on a few high-earning stars; whether a team plays a conservative style to avoid penalties, or one that tests a ref's patience and so forth.

If for instance you play poker, you accept that luck is a big part of game. A stacked deck does not sit so well, even if you don't know for certain beforehand whom it will favour.

If your team is good enough they'll make it. If not, they wont.

It's a bloody close comp most years in this modern era. Maybe the draw won't cost the best team in the NRL a top 8 spot. But it could easily make a difference as to who wins the minor premiership or finishes in the top 4, and certainly it could make the difference in the centre-table clutter that usually develops as to which teams nab the last few finals spots. Imho, any lopsided draw reeks.

stevo

Juniors
I tend to agree with you Stevo. Even tho i'm related :oops:, i also think that it be best if they stay home next year. :lol: Although i might try to get to the game at Skilled Park, if I can get the time off work, that is.

It's always good too get some Knights supporters up here for games. Hopefully for the Titans game we can get quite a few. Skilled park is awesome. Maybe your dad and and Jobdog may have better luck there.