What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL, AFL and Union to shutdown for 8 weeks

Eddie Lab

Juniors
IF Australia gets the WC why don't the NRL move all the games for those 8 weeks to pacific islands? New Zealanders would have a few decent stadiums to play at, PNG would go crazy for it, plus it would give huge exposure to Samoa, Tonga and Fiji.

Goddo

Bench
Whats the minimum a ground has to hold? 40k???

And they wanna use DFS??

I'm all for that if it means our Western Stand has to get demolished and a new one gets built (ala Newys' Ecstasy Stand)

What does that stand hold, 12k?

:crazy: The minimum publicly available tickets is 40000, but FIFA require 4000 for themselves + corporates. So the smallest you can build is really 45k.

To hold a semi final it has to be bigger than 60k, and a final venue has to be bigger than 80k, and you can't use the same venue 2 weeks in a row. That means, for example, MCG and upgraded Suncorp (to 62k) for semi final, ANZ for final. ANZ or MCG will host the final.

:crazy: Great news for Cowboys, Knights and Raiders. Each club will have their stadium massively upgraded to about 33k (or more) permanent seats and an aditional 12k temporary seats (either a third tier above the permanent seats, or a second temporary tier behind the goals).

With the Knights, they aren't sure if they should make it permanent 45k stadium. EA Stadium would end up looking a bit like suncorp if they make it 45k, or like Mbombela Stadium below. Knights will end up with probably the best NRL ground afterwards.

Cowboys are looking at either a massive redevelopment of Dairy Farmers or a brand new Stadium, depending on which is cheapest, but concidering DF is all hills, temporary stands not covered and a horrible main grandstand, my money would be on a brand new ground.

Raiders will either get a massively redeveloped Canberra Stadium, or a brand new one built next to it, and CS will be convereted back to an oval. The ACT want a 33k ground permanently so they can attract big events like Socceroo, Wallabies games.

This is a pic of Mbombela Stadium for an example of what they are doing at South Africa which is probably similar to what the Knights and Raiders will get.
Mbombela%20stadium%20Nelspruit.jpg

Expect to see a major redevelopment of the SFS, ANZ and Suncorp Stadiums too.

:crazy: The thing that sh!ts me is Carara on the Gold Coast... FIFA have a very strict rules on stadiums, sight lines, playing surface area etcetera, and no AFL ground actually meets the requirements.

You can use 1 ground for cultural/historic reasons and in our bid thats the MCG. This spells trouble when they want Carara on the Gold Coast, Adelaide Oval, and who knows what in Perth.

That and there is a stadium rule saying only 1 city can have 2 stadiums and thats it. But in our bid we will have MCG and Etihad in Melbourne and also SFS, ANZ and one more in Sydney.

Perth and Adelaide have been the biggest problem from the start.

Perth were going to build a 65k version of Etihad stadium and host a semi, but the new liberal government scrapped it as soon as they got in. They tried to push upgrading the AFL ground but FFA and the Fed gov kept saying no, not good enough, so noone is really sure whats going to happen there. Regardless, Perth will get upgrades to ME Stadium to about 28k.

Adelaide is a sh!t fight, becuase the AFL, Cricket, Soccer and Government are all screaming at each other and couldn't agree on the colour red, so it looks like Adelaide Oval.

:crazy: My final point, with world cups, FIFA require 32 training grounds/base camps for teams, and about 8 venues other than the ones used in the Cup for pre cup friendlies.

This means places like Jubilee Oval, WIN Stadium, Campbeltown Stadium, Belmore Oval, Penrith, Skilled Park will probably host a team and get massive upgrades as well! Dogs may be able to relocate training and admin back to Belmore; Gosford, Parra, Penrith, Jubilee and WIN may get more upgrades et cetera.

So long as we get some sort of compensation for giving up the middle of the year to them, this will be fantastic for the NRL.

Biggest stumbling blocks are Perth, and the Federal government expects the states to cover the cost.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
But if it happens Australia will be left like South Africa with huge stadiums which will remain empty or never full after the world cup finishes.Imagine how bad a 40000 seater EAS or Townsville will look when the NRL and the A-League get the seasons started again.

Not really. Places like Canberra want a bigger enclosed ground. Carara on GC is a Cricket Oval, Townsville will be reduced to 33k after the Cup. Current big stadiums will be refurbished. Really, its not an issue.

They will be like the London Olympic Stadium; built to hold big crowd for the event, then be reduced for domestic use afterwards.

At the moment it looks like a 3 horse race between Australia, England and the US for 2 world cups.

We have an advantage over the others in that we are in Asia and will provide a much bigger global audience (as Europe and America will watch it anyway). This is one of our main arguments. That and by having it here it will "spread soccer", something FIFA are keen on.

Goddo

Bench
Why does the comp have to stop?

FIFA stipulate the GROUNDS are out of action for 8 weeks - so play at different grounds.

Brisbane can use the old ANZ/QEII. Melbourne can use Olympic. Chooks/Dogs/Tigers/Souths can use alternative venues. Or simply play all away games in that period. The only team without any option is NQ.

Nope. As said, 32 training grounds, 8 warm up stadiums and 12 WC venues required. All the decent alternate venues will be in use.

I really like the Idea of taking State of Origin on the road. Wembley Stadium, Eden Park and France/US/Japan sounds fantastic. have a one off Test match in there against the British Lions would be awesome too.

Try to think of it this way

We currently play 24 full rounds and 2 bye rounds. So FIFA want 8 weeks? Two of those are full bye weeks for origin, so its really 6 weeks.

We could start the season a week or two early, finish a week or two late. That means a net loss of really only 2-4 rounds. Yes, that would be shorter than usual, but look at the benefits! Billions will be spent on our stadiums, training grounds and facilities. I really hope we get it. It will be fantastic for the NRL

Goddo

Bench
Like AFL will agree to it, and frankly I am glad they will oppose it. Can stand soccer but teh World Cup can be played somewere else where they "love" the sport. To me and I know there are soccer tragics here, but in Australia soccer is clearly the 4th sporting code- well behind cricket, league, and AFL, and running even with Union. Just play the Cup in Europe or Asia.

Very short sighted. I hate soccer but think this will be one of the best things to ever happen for league.

Its not about wether we love soccer. Its about FIFA, the Federal Government et cetera trying to make money. Being in Asia, we have a good chance of winning it, with FIFA aware that showing it at a reasonable time in that market maximises TV revenue for them.

A world cup generates about $7 Billion for the Australian economy. Of that, around $2 Billion will be spent on Stadiums, a further $4 Billion or so on inferstructure for our cities, such as trains, planes, roads, public spaces et cetera.

Eg, an eastern suburbs metro line along ANZAC parade from Central to a massively redeveloped SFS would be looked at and probably built.

People don't understand just how huge this thing is and how big the benefits are. The world cup is bigger than the Olympics. And for minimum disruption, a lot of the benefits will come the NRLs way.

The AFL has not been against it, in fact the oposite, because they can see how much will be spent on stadiums, and they will get Carara, MCG Adelaide Oval and Perth upgraded. Especially in Perth and Adelaide where they have some issues with their stadiums they have been lobying really hard for the world cup.

This sort of oportunity for our facilities won't come around for a long time.

Last edited:

Big Time

Juniors
Not gunna happen, not without massive compensation, and even then, its virtually destroying the season. More likely, they will simply play the world cup just after the Grand Finals are over, when the weather is still mild.

yeah right. this is second to the olympics and sporting events. they will play when they want to and nrl and afl will work around them.

it would be a great thing for australia to host, and is something we would just have to do.

don't be surprised if australia get it. we have a good history of running big events and making money from them.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
tell the round ball androtops to f**k off. they wouldnt help us and i can see sponsors trying to get on board for the world cup at the expense of league

fish eel

Immortal
Not gunna happen, not without massive compensation, and even then, its virtually destroying the season. More likely, they will simply play the world cup just after the Grand Finals are over, when the weather is still mild.

No, the world cup will be played in June/July because that is when the major leagues around the world are in break. Thats why it's always played then. They wont shift it and can the EPL for four weeks so some non soccer football codes in Australia dont suffer disruption.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
while it may be a nuisance for the Leagies for 8 weeks, the long term benefits to our stadia would be massive

in the long term League would probably be better off for us having hosted the Football WC

GCR

Juniors
How embarrassing that people are even contemplating disrupting the two most popular sporting competitions in Australia so that a sport played by schoolgirls and Euro wannabes can hold some tournament here. Tell them to take their greasy hair, their long shorts and their David Beckham and play their crap game in a country that actually gives a toss.

Goddo

Bench
Simple GCR..

BECAUSE THE WORLD CUP IS BIGGER THAN THE OLYMPICS. THERE IS A SH!T LOAD OF MONEY TO BE MADE.

Most of that will be spent on AUSTRALIAN SPORTING INFRASTRUCTURE, most importantly for us, FOOTBALL STADIUMS!

I can't believe how short sighted and stupid some of you are. Who cares if soccer is more boring than watching your grandma knit? The potential for the NRL is enormous, and worth giving up games in the middle of the season, where we usually have a lull in attendences and match quality anyway

EDIT: When will you get it guys? Its not a contest as to which sport is the "biggest/best". Its not about "I dont like soccer so lets not have it". This is a huge oportunity for the country.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
Hopefully we can limit it to 4 weeks in which case we could move one round to NZ and if Perth or Adelaide don't get any matches a round of match over there.

morley101

Juniors
Very short sighted. I hate soccer but think this will be one of the best things to ever happen for league.

Its not about wether we love soccer. Its about FIFA, the Federal Government et cetera trying to make money. Being in Asia, we have a good chance of winning it, with FIFA aware that showing it at a reasonable time in that market maximises TV revenue for them.

A world cup generates about $7 Billion for the Australian economy. Of that, around $2 Billion will be spent on Stadiums, a further $4 Billion or so on inferstructure for our cities, such as trains, planes, roads, public spaces et cetera.

Eg, an eastern suburbs metro line along ANZAC parade from Central to a massively redeveloped SFS would be looked at and probably built.

People don't understand just how huge this thing is and how big the benefits are. The world cup is bigger than the Olympics. And for minimum disruption, a lot of the benefits will come the NRLs way.

The AFL has not been against it, in fact the oposite, because they can see how much will be spent on stadiums, and they will get Carara, MCG Adelaide Oval and Perth upgraded. Especially in Perth and Adelaide where they have some issues with their stadiums they have been lobying really hard for the world cup.

This sort of oportunity for our facilities won't come around for a long time.

You will not get Eastern Suburbs metro from Central to Randwick you might get an extended tram track though. There is already a plan in place for a Western Metro via the Olympic Stadium to Westmead.
www.sydneymetro.nsw.gov.au/where/west_metro_station_locations/

flamin

Juniors
There really want be any alternative. You cant tour anywhere in the world because all eyes and press will be on the dive ball.

There's going to be a 4 week lead-up before the WC where no games will be played at the stadiums. In that month, RL could organize to have a round in NZ/SOO overseas/some tours and we'd still get decent coverage.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No point playing anything in England, even passionate RL fans will be focused on the World Cup. You have no idea how big an event it is over there.

We would be better playing a pacific 6 nations and playing in each pacific nation with RL promotion pre and post each game. Imagine Samoa, PNG, Australia (in some form if not the full strength squad) Fiji, Tonga & NZ playing each other once in each country. Would be massive for the development of the game in the PI's.

Goddo

Bench
You will not get Eastern Suburbs metro from Central to Randwick you might get an extended tram track though. There is already a plan in place for a Western Metro via the Olympic Stadium to Westmead.
www.sydneymetro.nsw.gov.au/where/west_metro_station_locations/

Zzz. You missed the point.

You can't predict what inferstructure projects will or won't come of this. What if we have a change of gov in 2011 and the libs turn out to be keen on it after seeing its needed for the world cup?

There are requirements on public transport and public transport will get built for the bid. It was just a suggestion as to what might happen.

The eastern suburbs metro may become a reality as a result of an Australian world cup. It may not, but it is an example of the sort of thing that this event enables.

The long term plan for Sydney is for it to be covered by metro lines... thats why they are building the western one first, as it will form the spine of the system.

EDIT: If you actually look at the website you linked, there are future maps of the network which clearly have the Eastern Suburbs line on them! LOL @ you.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought Fifa don't like countries having more than 1-2 round stadiums?

Not sure on this one. In reality they would probably only need to use the MCG and Adelaide AFL grounds anyway.

IF Perth gets a big stadium it will have retractable seats so that takes away that argumnet.

I think there is something about not playing semi finals at teh same ground as the final so it is possible we could see:

Round games at, Suncorp, ANZ, SFS, Perth (new), Parramatta (expanded), Penrith (expanded), Newcastle (expanded), Canberra(new) Gold Coast (expanded), Adelaide(new), Etihad, NQ (expanded) possible Melbounre (expanded) (although doubt they will want to use 3 melbourne stadiums so may either choose to expand new stadium or just use MCG and Etihad).

Semi's: MCG & Perth(new)
Final: at ANZ

They are touting Perth as a preferred semi game if it gets a stadium due to its closer time difference with Europe.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/6372355/subi-oval-too-small-for-world-cup-semis/

Australia would be in with agood chance but with just one week to go it is ahrd to see them having enough agreements re stadium developments in place to make it happen. The joys of our political system!

Last edited:

GCR

Juniors
Simple GCR..

BECAUSE THE WORLD CUP IS BIGGER THAN THE OLYMPICS. THERE IS A SH!T LOAD OF MONEY TO BE MADE.

Most of that will be spent on AUSTRALIAN SPORTING INFRASTRUCTURE, most importantly for us, FOOTBALL STADIUMS!

I can't believe how short sighted and stupid some of you are. Who cares if soccer is more boring than watching your grandma knit? The potential for the NRL is enormous, and worth giving up games in the middle of the season, where we usually have a lull in attendences and match quality anyway

EDIT: When will you get it guys? Its not a contest as to which sport is the "biggest/best". Its not about "I dont like soccer so lets not have it". This is a huge oportunity for the country.

Cool. Tom Cruise is more famous than me. Should I invite him over to spend a couple of nights with my missus in return for a new plasma TV and a couple of cases of beer?

Latest posts