What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL, AFL and Union to shutdown for 8 weeks

Noa

First Grade
No problem with an 8-week break. Anyone who does has massive problems.

Cat women has massive problems

resizer.aspx

Getting sh*tty about 8 weeks off is slight problems

adamkungl

Immortal
No problem with an 8-week break. Anyone who does has massive problems.

More accurately, anyone who does couldn't give a f**k about the Soccer World Cup.

Massive, massive compensation + upgraded stadiums or GTFO. Don't stop the season, play in the bush, smaller stadiums, etc.

beave

Coach
Whats the minimum a ground has to hold? 40k???

And they wanna use DFS??

I'm all for that if it means our Western Stand has to get demolished and a new one gets built (ala Newys' Ecstasy Stand)

What does that stand hold, 12k?

Voodoo Rock

Juniors
here's one, how bout state of origin around the world.

A game every two weeks in a different country.

Game 1: Rose Bowl in Los Angeles

Game 2: Wembley Stadium London

Game 3: Pokomon Stadium Tokyo

then we have two weeks off and the boys are back into it. For the rest of the players send them bush for a month to spread the word, go and visit some schools :D:D:D

Red Bear

Referee
IF Aust wins the hosting rights and an 8 weeks forced stoppage is agreed to, then I'd be looking to make the most of the opportunity by taking a traditional (long-form) Kangaroo tour of UK & France.
bingo
Would be the perfect oppertunity. Hace a reduced season (teams only play each other once), a late finish and a kangaroo tour in the middle.

***MH***

Bench
I was preferring something unique via a Kangaroo tour, rather than another 3 or 4 nations tourno - either way, I agree with you that something in the UK would be good. Maybe an extended World Club Challenge comp.

Also happened in 2000 - the NRL Grand Final between Brisbane and Roosters was played on August 27. There was then a World Cup in the UK/France, but it didn't start until the last week of October.
We could send State of Origin to the UK and NZ. SOO is our mid season anyway, and SOO has been to Melbourne and California.... we may as well take it somewhere where they actually might be interested in SOO.

AB129*

Juniors
I don't see it happening, but anything approaching eight rounds of nrl in the bush would be absolutely amazing for country footy, a masterstroke. Someone in the nrl would have to be very brave to make the call though, and the compensation from the FFA/FIFA would have to be huge but still.

Just imagine it- it'd be something money could never buy in terms of promotion of the game and the improvements to bush facilities would change the game in the bush enormously.
People would come from miles around to watch...

Pity its so unlikely to happen

beave

Coach

then we have two weeks off and the boys are back into it. For the rest of the players send them bush for a month to spread the word, go and visit some schools :D:D:D

Are you from melbourne??????TIC

sharkadelic

Juniors
There really want be any alternative. You cant tour anywhere in the world because all eyes and press will be on the dive ball. Even touring schools would be pointless as all the kiddies will get caught up in that manufactures cr@p. If the leagues sign over the rights, it will be an 8 week lull that will ruin the intensity of the season and kill the season. Most of the money a world cup will generate will go into FIFA and Australian Soccers coffers. THen it will be used for clinics and developments to help themcrush the other winter codes.

F#uck those over paid t0ssers. THey want to bring it here, they can play in the Bass strait where there is plenty of room and it wont affect us

Timmah6991

Juniors
We could send State of Origin to the UK and NZ. SOO is our mid season anyway, and SOO has been to Melbourne and California.... we may as well take it somewhere where they actually might be interested in SOO.

Imagine if we built a stadium and played a game of SOO in PNG...

1) They would go APE SH*T
2) It'd help their NRL bid if they don't get in the comp in 2012.

Timmah6991

Juniors

You can't be serious...

El Diablo

Post Whore
be advantages in this for League and Union if they got it seeing Soccer uses rectangular stadiums so some would need a face lift

no benefits for boggerball though

Loudstrat

Coach
Why does the comp have to stop?

FIFA stipulate the GROUNDS are out of action for 8 weeks - so play at different grounds.

Brisbane can use the old ANZ/QEII. Melbourne can use Olympic. Chooks/Dogs/Tigers/Souths can use alternative venues. Or simply play all away games in that period. The only team without any option is NQ.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Like AFL will agree to it, and frankly I am glad they will oppose it. Can stand soccer but teh World Cup can be played somewere else where they "love" the sport. To me and I know there are soccer tragics here, but in Australia soccer is clearly the 4th sporting code- well behind cricket, league, and AFL, and running even with Union. Just play the Cup in Europe or Asia.

Nuke

Staff member
Australia won't get it regardless.

Should it happen though, I love the idea of the NRL going to the bush.
If they decide instead to go with a 4 Nations or Kangaroo Tour or extended World Club Challenge (ala Challenge Cup style, or more like that cricket world club 20-20 thing that's nearly finished) ... then I hope they announce it early enough so I can organise a passport and save up enough money to get away from the soccer world cup. I should point out that I don't hate soccer, but the idea of it crammed down our throats for a few weeks while we have no other alternative would drive me mad.

Teddyboy

First Grade
But if it happens Australia will be left like South Africa with huge stadiums which will remain empty or never full after the world cup finishes.Imagine how bad a 40000 seater EAS or Townsville will look when the NRL and the A-League get the seasons started again.

Brutus

Referee
I've heard a rumour that the SFS could be bulldozed and re-built at around 65k capacity. Would be awesome if that happened.

Bring on the soccer World Cup!!

RL1908

Bench

Yep, I think that is another good option. That 8 weeks in-season opportunity will never come again.

The reality of trying to keep the NRL going while the socer WC is on is not just the big stadiums, but also all the bases for the 32 teams to train/live etc.

And the costs of hosting entire NRL rounds in the bush might be ok for one round, but for 4-8 it would mount up - plus the soccer WC will also impact on mobile tv production facilities their hiring costs.