What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL boss David Gallop says day grand final could be permament

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24445732-10389,00.html
NRL boss David Gallop says day grand final could be permament
Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)

Greg Davis

October 05, 2008 12:00am

NRL chief executive David Gallop says the grand final could make a permanent return to the afternoon and Brisbane will be in the hunt to host the decider from 2013.

Today's clash between Melbourne and Manly will be the first grand final to kick off in daylight since Brisbane beat the Sydney Roosters in 2000.

The grand final was moved to a night kick-off in 2001 to cash in on the prime time television timeslot.

The decision earned the ire of the Queensland public because the Sunshine State does not have a public holiday like NSW the day after the game.

The kick-off time has been brought forward during the past seven years of night grand finals but the departure from the traditional 3pm start has still infuriated traditionalists on both sides of the border.

Today's match will start at 4.15pm (Qld time) in the biggest concession yet from the NRL and Gallop said the game's governing body would review the daytime start with a view to making it a long-term arrangement.

"We are certainly not talking about changing it (4.15pm timeslot) at this stage so let's see how it performs," Gallop said.

"Everything is under review every year and obviously we'd be looking to get a good result with the TV ratings.

"There's no reason to suspect we won't continue with it because it's good for kids and it allows the adults to put on their barbecues and have a good afternoon with friends and family.

"The move to the earlier kick-off has been well received, especially by Queensland fans, and we'll have a bit of fun with the whole concept in the pre-match entertainment on Sunday as well."

Gallop said Brisbane was a contender to host the grand final once the NRL's deal with the NSW government to hold the decider at Homebush expired in 2012.

"We'll certainly be looking at interest from other venues and we all know what a great rugby league venue Suncorp Stadium is. We also know the great following the game has in Queensland," Gallop said.

"Although it would be a massive change to tradition, Queensland has set the benchmark for crowd support for the big games for a few years now so we would certainly be looking at it closely."

most would prefer that and alternating GF's wouldn't be a bad idea

brendothejet

First Grade
So 50000 people attending in Queensland is more than 70k or 80k in NSW...

must be all the extra heads Qlders have.

alternating would be good provided it was set in concrete at the start of the season and no last minute switch coz say the Broncos end up playing the Titans in the GF, if it's sydneys year than thats just bad luck.

P.J.

Juniors
alternating would be good provided it was set in concrete at the start of the season and no last minute switch coz say the Broncos end up playing the Titans in the GF, if it's sydneys year than thats just bad luck.

I agree, but gezz it'll suck if you Sydney team makes it and it's in bloody Brisbane. And realistically, Brisbane is the only optional venue anyway. You wouldn't have it in Melbourne, no one cares down there. We stupidly pulled out of Perth so unless we get a team back, that wont happen and Adelaide is too small (and no team).

I personally think it should remain in Sydney until we have several options available then rotate them as you said. Cause it's too difficult to have the highest ranked grand finalist playing at home, that would be the best option, but we dont know who that is until the week before....

If Brisbane can come up with a Stadium that fits 82K let them host it occasionally. Until then why on earth would you Deny 28K people the chance to see the Grand Final?

If the difference in stadium size was negligible it wouldnt be an issue, but 28K is a massive difference.

macavity

Referee
if Brisbane is a shot, why not Newcastle when our stadium will hold 40k... if you are going to turn 28k away, what is an extra 12.

Meth

Staff member
if Brisbane is a shot, why not Newcastle when our stadium will hold 40k... if you are going to turn 28k away, what is an extra 12.

Seriously, what would be the chances of getting 40,000 to a GF in Newcastle that doesn't involve Newcastle

ucantseeme

Juniors
A precedent of holding the Grand Final in QLD once a century was set in 1997 (Broncos vs Sharks). So QLDers should get one more opportunity in the the next 92 years.

As for the arvo kick off, if there are too many empty seats and ratings are down this year, you can bet next year it will be 7pm or later.

I agree, but gezz it'll suck if you Sydney team makes it and it's in bloody Brisbane. And realistically, Brisbane is the only optional venue anyway. You wouldn't have it in Melbourne, no one cares down there. We stupidly pulled out of Perth so unless we get a team back, that wont happen and Adelaide is too small (and no team).

I personally think it should remain in Sydney until we have several options available then rotate them as you said. Cause it's too difficult to have the highest ranked grand finalist playing at home, that would be the best option, but we dont know who that is until the week before....

Bring back the top 5. Then the venue would be known a fortnight out.

I don't like the idea of rotating just for the sake of it. If we're going to move it around, do it for a reason (at least with "home" grand finals crowd's shouldn't be an issue, where as two NSW teams playing in QLD or vice-versa could be).

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
There needs to be 2 more teams in SEQ within the next 5-10 years.

Then, and only then, should we have a GF.

Until that time, Sydney will have to do.

Hanscholo

Bench
As much as i thought the kick off time of 5:30 was f**king crazy, I hadnt thought about daylight saving either. What a difference it is watching a day game. Just put it back to 3:00 dave. I really dont give a sh*t about 9's obsession with leading sport into their news and 60 mins. I dont see why an entire game should suffer because 9 are a pack of money hungry merkins.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
As much as i thought the kick off time of 5:30 was f**king crazy, I hadnt thought about daylight saving either. What a difference it is watching a day game. Just put it back to 3:00 dave. I really dont give a sh*t about 9's obsession with leading sport into their news and 60 mins. I dont see why an entire game should suffer because 9 are a pack of money hungry merkins.

I actually quite liked today's timeslot, I think 2pm would be too early to have the three games on (as was shown when they had to flick the news to keep up to date lol)

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

I don't know how they could've made it any earlier tbh, two lower grade games went into GP and they had the GF build up and entertainment. Seemed like a perfect fit to me.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team

Nothing wrong with it.

Personally I prefer the 7pm kick, but this worked out fine. Any earlier isn't necessary.