What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL coaches should have to have a degree in communication

T-Boon

Coach
Coaches are hired to ….. coach players. It is not their job to sell the game. Games and Premierships are not won by PR Campaigns.

This is certainly the mentality in the NRL clubs and with respect it is stupid and one of the reasons we have poor crowd attendance. It is every bodies job to sell the game. If the coaches dont/cant do it then get someone at press conferences who can. The 10 minute post game press conference is the best advertisement space/opportunity in the game. Unfortunately it becomes this surly blame the refs and set the fans into a negative frenzy debacle.

T-Boon

Coach
I agree with you, somewhat. This image only attracts the tradies. Classic example is the Roosters. Roosters attract the bogan crowd of the Eastern Suburbs while the Swans get the Hipsters and families.

Exactly, we have to trust that the working class and lower class are rusted on and now try to take over the upper classes as well.

Showtime

Juniors
This is one of the things NRL coaches should have to have.
Some of them are terrible communicators to the fans (eg through press conferences where the fan gets to see them the most).
The game needs to drop the working class larrikin image. It is pre-historic.
There are too many Maloney's, Cordner's, Norman's, Flanagan's, Arthurs's.
Too many syllables are getting dropped. Yes is not pronounced "air".
Not enough DCE's, Cooper Cronks.

Did anyone notice when Israel Folau started playing union he started talking a lot smarter? It happened over night.

I think a Law Degree would be more beneficial and would save some teams a lot of money come off season.

I could see Ricky using texas as evidence.

firechild

First Grade
This is certainly the mentality in the NRL clubs

And this is absolutely the mentality they should have. Their job is to train the players and devise game plans. Provided they can communicate this effectively to their players, they are doing the job they were hired to do.

Besides, if coaches spoke eloquently to the media, fans of the Eels, Dogs, Rabbitohs, Panthers and Cowboys wouldn't be able to understand what they were saying. Probably best to keep things simple so that all fans can understand the cliches that are filling the press conferences.

AJB1102

First Grade
This is certainly the mentality in the NRL clubs and with respect it is stupid and one of the reasons we have poor crowd attendance. It is every bodies job to sell the game. If the coaches dont/cant do it then get someone at press conferences who can. The 10 minute post game press conference is the best advertisement space/opportunity in the game. Unfortunately it becomes this surly blame the refs and set the fans into a negative frenzy debacle.

Australians aren't impressed with cheap salesmen though. We don't want our coaches spruiking bullshit and polishing turds after a poor performance if thats not genuine. Give me a fair dinkum surly, cranky coach with short replies over some white shoed, man-bun sporting fake merkin sugar coating for sales any day.

Your bullshit detector is set to 'American'.

Australians aren't impressed with cheap salesmen though. We don't want our coaches spruiking bullshit and polishing turds after a poor performance if thats not genuine. Give me a fair dinkum surly, cranky coach with short replies over some white shoed, man-bun sporting fake merkin sugar coating for sales any day.

Your bullshit detector is set to 'American'.

I agree, people like real. Whilst I have a low tolerance for the ref bashing most coaches engage in (and the fact it can actually work) I can at least accept the real side of it and would prefer it to rehearsed rubbish like what players are given.

AJB1102

First Grade
I agree, people like real. Whilst I have a low tolerance for the ref bashing most coaches engage in (and the fact it can actually work) I can at least accept the real side of it and would prefer it to rehearsed rubbish like what players are given.

I agree on the ref bashing. More again with your point that it works. Coaches rarely waste time on things that won't help towards success. If they're talking about it, its at least believed its a fair chance of helping.

T-Boon

Coach
You'd rather some bullshitter trying to hype it up like a televangelist?

Won't work here, especially in this game.

Why are the examples of salesmanship you are suggesting I am for these extreme bullshit artists (televangelists/cheap salesmen)?

I am in fact talking about being able to sell the game to existing fans or maybe the spouses of existing fans, being able to communicate with the fans in a way that has them wanting to attend games.

Being able to work together with the media at the end of a game to put on a decent press conference should be 101 level for a code trying to convert soft TV support into bums on seats.

I'd even settle for an AFL level press conferences, getting to the level of American Football where they sound like they love the game is way beyond my expectations.

They don't all have to be Wayne Bennett level arseholes that make the journalists present at press conferences want to go write nasty stories through the week.

T-Boon

Coach
Then maybe you should be following an American sport instead.

I already do, I am only watching league still because it use to be great and it is still on at a way better time slot than American sport.
English sport is like english movies like "The English Patient" and their weather. Dreary is the word.

unforgiven

Bench
I already do, I am only watching league still because it use to be great and it is still on at a way better time slot than American sport.
English sport is like english movies like "The English Patient" and their weather. Dreary is the word.
So do I, that's why I'm happy league is different. It is easy to watch American sports in the same timeslot as Aussie sports.

T.S Quint

Coach
I don’t give my much of a shit what the coaches sound like. Nor the players. I’d rather not hear from them anyway as we only get the same answers to the same questions time and time again. Player interviews are f**king boring.

Now how about we focus on getting the people who are actually a part of the media and who commentate on the games to be able to speak well. Honestly, who ever thought it would be a good idea to put ex/players like Justin Hodges, Brett Kimmorley, Mark Geyer, Steve Roach, Corey Parker, etc in front of a microphone?

T-Boon

Coach
It is a bit related to this topic, but this is something they do in the UK which the Australian broadcasters should look at (see video via link) - https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2019/02/18/robinson-breaks-down-win/

Rare to see this done by a winning NRL coach not long after a game.

Thats terrific. Fans want to hear the coach talk about the game a bit. Educate the fan. I don't want to the details from Gasnier or Gould etc. You want to know that your teams coach can talk about the game.

The coaches should talk about the wrestle a bit. I havent ever heard a coach admit wrestling exists let alone explain what we should be looking for in tackles. We all still think a good tackle in 2019 is that same as a good tackle was in 2000.