What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Coaching: Much to it??

Hiekka

Juniors
Many people say how complex it would be to coach an NRL team. I just can't see it.

Other than hit it up for four or five and then to the air or grubber, what else is there?

Can someone name me 3 top coaching initiatives in 2009.

Noa

First Grade
On offence especailly its like American football without the 40sec break to discuss the play.

A simpleton like yourself might only notice the prop hitting the ball up but there are decoy runner(s)either side of the ruck trying to fool the defence running various lines to drag the defence out of position for a play 2 or 3 tackles away. All while this is going on the backs are in formation waiting for the 1 or 2 plays out of 10 they get to put something on.

Of course it could be something as simple as going left for 2 -3 plays dragging the FB out of position then putting the grubber in cross field similar to what Smith did to hayne in the opening minutes of the GF.

This is just .1% of what goes on in a game and for a well drilled team like the storm this goes on for 80min and the players need to know where they should be at all times.

Meanwhile the defence is trying to combat and nullify these moves, so its basically a physical game of chess.

Now I wasted way too many words on you so piss-off troll back to whatever game it is you follow.

PS. If its yawnion dont forget they pinched all leagues ideas in the mid 90's. In fact they had to outlaw the use of decoy runners invented by league because they were to fkn stupid to stop them.

ramble_on

Juniors
Many people say how complex it would be to coach an NRL team. I just can't see it.

Other than hit it up for four or five and then to the air or grubber, what else is there?

you mean like kick on the 3rd tackle or something..?? Or maybe tackle around the legs..??

Not sure if I'm giving credit where it's due or not but I put a lot of games this year down to deft coaching... especially the GF...

Chook Norris

First Grade
is there much coaching to Union?.. penalty kick.. penalty kick.. :roll:

Like Noa said, people who think League is all about hit-up hit-up have nfi; there is heaps more to it if you can open your eyes..

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well, i havent seen NRL grade coaching 1st hand, but I have seen Premier League coaching (before the Toyota Cup) and my god the science behind what they talk about is amazing. I have yet to see anyone on here even brush the top of the science I was hearing that day. And Im talking more then just AB defenders, 2 and 3 sweeping plays, etc etc.

Some coaches like to get really into the tactics of the game and go after other teams weaknesses, others like to perfect their plays. Neither philosophy works 100% of the time and depending on one teams strengths vs another teams weaknesses, the result is never the same.

But there is one thing that is for certain, a good, smart, united defence is the most important aspect of a team, and the coach plays a big part in that.

Hiekka

Juniors
I have seen NRL coaching first hand.

I sat behind the coaches area in the 2005 semi final when the tigers beat the dragons at the SFS. Throughout the second half, Nathan Brown's instructions to his players via walkie talkie were very simple - 'Tell them to get it to Gaz!!!' He repeated this over an over - and that was as scientific as it got.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

I sat behind the coaches area in the 2005 semi final when the tigers beat the dragons at the SFS. Throughout the second half, Nathan Brown's instructions to his players via walkie talkie were very simple - 'Tell them to get it to Gaz!!!' He repeated this over an over - and that was as scientific as it got.

I believe you.

Binga

Juniors

You haven't been following rugby league for long have you?

thuggdogg

Juniors
Ive applied for the newcastle coaching job in the past and i can tell you it isnt easy.
They make you write a blueprint of what you are hoping to achieve.

Run you through a playa personnell management test and see your view on the players.

Tha guy who wrote the stuff about the chess flow understand it to.

When i coach my under 12s i need to have them doing intense weights, decoy plays, knowing who the players in the opposition to injure are. Teaching them correct tackling technique, talent scouting islanders etc etc.

My point is it isnt easy for me in under 12s so imagine what it is in the NRL?

Just the fact i had to write 1000 words for an essay for my vision in my newcastle coaching application shows how tough it can be.

When i saw it i was like all' screewwww that'.

simostorm

Bench

haha.. what a goose.

Pig Champion

Juniors
A few years back I read an article by a non sports journo who spent some time with an NRL side. He assumed the training and coaching would be simplistic like the original poster and his opinion. What he experienced very much challenged that. He left with a new regard for the players and coaches.

Just an example was players needing to know every strength and weakness of the opposition players and it was down to minute details.

Sorry I have no link, cant even recall where I read it.

Cupid Stunt

On offence especailly its like American football without the 40sec break to discuss the play.

A simpleton like yourself...

Yeah because thats what they do, sit around & discuss things for 40 secs at a time. :roll:

With the exception of trying to score points it really has SFA to do with anything like Gridiron. Well unless you consider skateboarding & F1 similar being that they are both on 4 wheels...

nomarg

Ive applied for the newcastle coaching job in the past and i can tell you it isnt easy.
They make you write a blueprint of what you are hoping to achieve.

Run you through a playa personnell management test and see your view on the players.

Tha guy who wrote the stuff about the chess flow understand it to.

When i coach my under 12s i need to have them doing intense weights, decoy plays, knowing who the players in the opposition to injure are. Teaching them correct tackling technique, talent scouting islanders etc etc.

My point is it isnt easy for me in under 12s so imagine what it is in the NRL?

Just the fact i had to write 1000 words for an essay for my vision in my newcastle coaching application shows how tough it can be.

When i saw it i was like all' screewwww that'.
:lol::lol::lol:

Knights fans everywhere would be kicking themselves that T-dog didn't get the gig....

ostrich20

Juniors

lol, i now understand where you are coming from.

As most have said, it may seem one dimensional if you only watch the player with the ball...

ozjet1

:lol:

it's funny cos it's true.

ozjet1

there definately is coaching science to the game. but like soccer, its heavily concentrated to the video room and training paddock rather than in-game.

Noa

First Grade
Yeah because thats what they do, sit around & discuss things for 40 secs at a time. :roll:

With the exception of trying to score points it really has SFA to do with anything like Gridiron. Well unless you consider skateboarding & F1 similar being that they are both on 4 wheels...

Sit around, sit around, sit around.

Nope cant see were I said that you cupid stunt.

No less an authority then Jack Gibson* once said about league and gridiron, "same game, different rules".

*Jack Gibson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>cupid stunt.

Latest posts