What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL.com: Delaney update

Hurriflatch

Referee
<H3>Titans set deadline for Delaney decision
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 7:28 PM
The Gold Coast Titans are likely to know on Wednesday whether Parramatta goal-kicking centre Brett Delaney will join the NRL club on a three-year deal.
Delaney, 20, travelled from Sydney to the Gold Coast to meet Titans officials, who have set a Friday deadline for him to reach a decision.
But his manager Chris Orr told AAP Delaney would decide his future in the "next 24 to 48 hours".
"His father (Steve) is looking to retire up here so that's a factor which is swaying him," Orr pointed out.
Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle added: "He's going to talk with his family but he seemed genuine and that's half the battle.
"We've asked him for a decision by the end of the week so we'll know by Friday.
"We need to secure a centre. We've been talking to the kid for a week and we've tabled an offer we're not prepared to move away from.
"We think it's in everyone's best interests for him to make a swift decision. There's a couple of clubs chasing centres and we don't want to be involved in a market which is that hot."
Cronulla is also keen to secure Delaney's services as cover for the departure of quality centres Nigel Vagana, Beau Scott and Phil Bailey at the end of the season.
Searle rejected any suggestions the Titans were desperate for centres but said they could "put the cue in the rack" in that position with the recruitment of Delaney, who has scored three tries and kicked 27 goals from 12 NRL matches for the Eels this year.
North Queensland's Gavin Cooper, Western Force rugby union convert Josh Graham and New Zealand international Jake Webster have already been signed as three-quarters.
Delaney is set to become the Titans' 20th signing, with South Sydney back-rower Mark Minichiello and Queensland Origin prop Nate Myles still in the frame to move to the tourist strip.
Bulldogs forward Myles, the hottest player on the market, will line up against St George Illawarra on Friday night at Oki Jubilee Stadium before meeting Brisbane and Gold Coast officials the following day.
"We rate ourselves as an outside chance," said Searle about the chances of recruiting Myles, who could command up to $275,000 a season after his impressive display in the Origin series.
Searle is more confident of signing Minichiello, who will fly to the Gold Coast later this week for talks.

Source: AAP
Views: 1,297

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/2016/Default.aspx
</H3>
Doesn't look like he'll stay

Redback71

First Grade
id prefer him go to the titans than the sharks.

looks like the eels wont be signing any one this year, just loosing what weve got.

Nikki

Coach
I'd be interested in when he flew up there. How soon can you fly after having your tonsils out?

Hellsy

Immortal
Spose it depends on how he felt.

I've know some people to be laid up for weeks, but another to be right as rain in a few days

stiffmeister

Bench
Please GC sign him immediately. Take him off our hands ASAP. Brett say yes, there is no room for you at Parra & you're too slow for us as a centre. Fitzy, do your bit & pay him a bonus to leave RIGHT NOW

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I cant believe all these other teams want to sign him as a centre

he's never made a line break in the NRL that I've seen

Stagger eel

Staff member
Brett didn't look crash hot when I spoke to him on Saturday night, in fact he probably should of been in bed..but he did hint that the Gold Coast could be the club he's heading too.

the_eel

Juniors
He's a solid centre at best...far from spectacular and it is very surprising that there is such interest in him from so many clubs. Anyway good luck to him wherever he ends up but from Parra's point of view you wouldn't be throwing to much coin at him to make him stay i wouldn't think.

sooperdooper

First Grade
he has not shown what he can by any chance... however i still rate the kid!
and i know alot of people do hence the number of clubs after him!

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
He will be better in the Lock position. Delaney is the type of player that gets better with age.

Couldn't agree more, Jake. IMO his best game was his last before injury against the raiders when he made nearly 100 metres and ran more like a backrower than a centre.

From what I have read we have offered him what we think he is worth and if he can get more elsewhere, good luck to him.

I also believe he will definately get better with age

sooperdooper

First Grade
Jake the snake said:
He will be better in the Lock position. Delaney is the type of player that gets better with age.

i agree
i tend to notice you have a large amount of knowledge on jnrs in our club.
And i think you do realise delaney can play better lets just hope he does....
as we have expected him to after his PL season last year