What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Draft back on the agenda

Tweed Titan

Bench
So a team not in the 8 now, Gets disadvantaged and it is a good idea?
Because we only just got those schools (schools no one should have ever had near exclusive access to because the talent should be SHARED). I can see beyond my own club's interest unlike others.

Also please stop putting Penrith up in the tier of the Storm and Roosters. You've had a good run the last few years admittedly but you've been a basketcase more than successful the majority of most people on here's lives.

You want to live in 1950's land where each club can only recruit from its local area. LOL Enough of arguing with idiots for one day.

I get it champ, you want to protect your club's little nursery. Good for you.

nick87

Coach
Isn't lack of talent, Seemingly the reason to bring in a draft?

So how can further diluting that player pool a good thing?

No. Absolutely not.
This might explain why you're struggling so much here.

No draft aims to solve a problem of a sport lacking talent. The aim of a draft is the disperse the talent.

Salary caps aim to depress the players ability to earn money and stop clubs from overspending on wages and sending themselves broke, a secondary result of this is to spread talent out by ensuring 2-3 teams can't horde all the best players like the EPL or other soccer leagues.
Drafts work hand in hand to help disperse the talent to teams lacking it, with aims of giving the bad teams a quicker way to bridge the gap to the good teams... so the salary cap in theory should see good teams lose good players to other clubs, which brings them back to the pack, drafts aim to give good players to bad team, which brings them closer to the pack... the end result is great chances for parity across the league

The grand idea being, any week, any year, all fans have hope and a reason to be invested in their team and spend to see, watch and support their team.

It's got nothing to do with addressing a lack of talent in the sport. No f**king idea where you got that from.

Iamback

Coach
Because we only just got those schools (schools no one should have ever had near exclusive access to because the talent should be SHARED). I can see beyond my own club's interest unlike others.

Also please stop putting Penrith up in the tier of the Storm and Roosters. You've had a good run the last few years admittedly but you've been a basketcase more than successful the majority of most people on here's lives.

You want to live in 1950's land where each club can only recruit from its local area. LOL Enough of arguing with idiots for one day.

I get it champ, you want to protect your club's little nursery. Good for you.

In a forum that includes @BunniesMan and @Get Rid of The Donkeys you are the dumbest poster here, Congrats on such an achievement

Where did I GC can only Recruit from those schools?

GC should be able to recruit from anywhere and keep the talent. Not wait and hope that the draft fills their needs
Yes. Wests won the NSWRL u17's

What is better
they keep all those players?

Or they can only keep a couple and send the rest away potentially to Roosters or someone good?

Still no answer to the above?

Iamback

Coach
No. Absolutely not.
This might explain why you're struggling so much here.

No draft aims to solve a problem of a sport lacking talent. The aim of a draft is the disperse the talent.

Salary caps aim to depress the players ability to earn money and stop clubs from overspending on wages and sending themselves broke, a secondary result of this is to spread talent out by ensuring 2-3 teams can't horde all the best players like the EPL or other soccer leagues.
Drafts work hand in hand to help disperse the talent to teams lacking it, with aims of giving the bad teams a quicker way to bridge the gap to the good teams... so the salary cap in theory should see good teams lose good players to other clubs, which brings them back to the pack, drafts aim to give good players to bad team, which brings them closer to the pack... the end result is great chances for parity across the league

The grand idea being, any week, any year, all fans have hope and a reason to be invested in their team and spend to see, watch and support their team.

It's got nothing to do with addressing a lack of talent in the sport. No f**king idea where you got that from.

Again I ask this question. How does a draft right now help WT given they have named atleast 6 guys from their juniors they want to develop?

Yes. Wests won the NSWRL u17's

What is better
they keep all those players?

Or they can only keep a couple and send the rest away potentially to Roosters or someone good?

I was named into a thread I hadn't even seen by @Iamback. He routinely talks shit in the media and expansion sections of the board.He routinely doubts the publicised figures for the AwFuL and NRL broadcast rights and worships V'landys. I thought AwFuL fans were delusional, but this bloke is another level.

There's no getting through to him.

Yesterday I was pointing out that the sponsorship value of the Sydney clubs -- based on annual reports -- is well behind the Cowboys, Dolphins and Broncos because Sydney is over saturated, so be brought up physical assets. 😳

He doesn't respond to what's written.

Does anyone know whose alt account he belongs to?

As to the thread. I think a draft is about providing good young talent to struggling teams.

No school should have exclusivity over talent because it's a restraint of trade.

Iamback

Coach
Again for the idiots here.
Lets assume the draft is the top 50 18 years olds
Each team gets 3 picks

Wests won NSW u17's
Townsville won QLD.

so you would assume you a slab from these respective teams

The current wooden Spooners have indentified 6 from that Wests team as long term prospects in NRL. Yet under a draft they have ONLY 3 picks, That helps them?

beave

Coach
Thinking about my own team (NQ) and a draft.

Currently we have 2 footy schools in Tvl, Kirwan High and Ignatius Park that the Cowboys utilise to place their kids for not only schooling but the football programs they can provide.

The kids from roughly around age 15 that come from outside of Tvl (think Brandon Smith, Kikau, Taumalolo, even Nanai from Cairns) come over and finish their schooling off, play and train with their school side as well as train with the Cowboys systems.

Without the Cowboys signing these kids and placing them into their own and the systems of renowned RL high schools, I'm not sure the kids will get the development and preparation needed from either of the high schools or clubs from their home areas.

In the US, colleges make huge money from football crowds, merch and TV rights from whatever conference they can get themselves into (think big 10, SEC , Pac 12) it's in their interest to get the best kids into their system as well as invest in their system (CoE, facilities) so they can maximise their profits as well as have what's considered a "Prestigious Football Program" which means you are more attractive to good kids which in turn means you make more money......

High schools in Oz don't have this abundance of money and elaborate facilties to throw at kids, if NRL clubs don't get something out of it, they're not going to develop anyone because what's the point if the kid can be picked up by a rival NRL club in the draft........so who is going to develop these kids?

Unless the NRL throws a bucket of money at specific high schools where they then become collegesque then I just don't think it will work.

Last edited:

Currently we have 2 footy schools in Tvl, Kirwan High and Ignatius Park that the Cowboys utilise to place their kids for not only schooling but the football programs they can provide.

The kids from roughly around age 15 that come from outside of Tvl (think Brandon Smith, Kikau, Taumalolo, even Nanai from Cairns) come over and finish their schooling off, play and train with their school side as well as train with the Cowboys systems.

Without the Cowboys signing these kids and placing them into their own and the systems of renowned RL high schools, I'm not sure the kids will get the development and preparation needed from either of the high schools or clubs from their home areas.

In the US, colleges make huge money from football crowds, merch and TV rights from whatever conference they can get themselves into (think big 10, SEC , Pac 12) it's in their interest to get the best kids into their system so they can maximise their profits as well as have what's considered a "Prestigious Football Program" which means you are more attractive to good kids which in turn means you make more money......

High schools in Oz don't have this abundance of money to throw at kids, if NRL clubs don't get something out of it, they're not going to develop anyone because what's the point if the kid can be picked up by a rival NRL
club in the draft........so who is going to develop these kids?

Unless the NRL throws a bucket of money at specific high schools where they then become collegesque than I just don't think it will work.
How come Cowboys don't target schools in Logan?

We've got plenty of RL nurseries in Logan that would benefit from a partnership with the Cowboys. The amount of talent the Cowboys could draw from the city is huge.

A partnership with Logan Brothers would be a good start considering the Townsville Blackhawks are Townsville Brothers. Logan Brothers are the largest club from the Brothers Confraternity.

The QRL and Broncos have neglected Logan for 20 years. The city is ripe for the taking IF the Cowboys want it. I've lived here for decades and see a lot of Cowboys supporters. I think the population of Logan is up around 360k, based on the Our Logan book that is delivered to residents by the LCC.

Iamback

Coach

In the US, colleges make huge money from football crowds, merch and TV rights from whatever conference they can get themselves into (think big 10, SEC , Pac 12) it's in their interest to get the best kids into their system so they can maximise their profits as well as have what's considered a "Prestigious Football Program" which means you are more attractive to good kids which in turn means you make more money......

High schools in Oz don't have this abundance of money to throw at kids, if NRL clubs don't get something out of it, they're not going to develop anyone because what's the point if the kid can be picked up by a rival NRL
club in the draft........so who is going to develop these kids?

Unless the NRL throws a bucket of money at specific high schools where they then become collegesque than I just don't think it will work.

You nailed perfectly why the RL system atm works

siv

First Grade
There is only one purpose of a draft

To provide TV content in the off season

All clubs must nominate 23 players by Nov 1 and Jan/Feb is the period of preseason training & trials

So any draft would need to happen in late October or November

But thats the international RL rep window

The RLWC is showing that a quality international rep season is all we really need

beave

Coach
How come Cowboys don't target schools in Logan?

We've got plenty of RL nurseries in Logan that would benefit from a partnership with the Cowboys. The amount of talent the Cowboys could draw from the city is huge.

A partnership with Logan Brothers would be a good start considering the Townsville Blackhawks are Townsville Brothers. Logan Brothers are the largest club from the Brothers Confraternity.

The QRL and Broncos have neglected Logan for 20 years. The city is ripe for the taking IF the Cowboys want it. I've lived here for decades and see a lot of Cowboys supporters. I think the population of Logan is up around 360k, based on the Our Logan book that is delivered to residents by the LCC.

NQ have grabbed kids from Brisbane in the past. Tualagi, Hammer (he moved back to finish school in Tvl), Ponga were all playing in Brisbane when they were signed. They will scout league/union tournaments and have contacts down here no doubt but having an official public arrangement with a school in SEQ is probably not good optics for a team based out of NQ.

NQ are popular down here probably due to the Mango/JT thing partnership in the mid 2k's and then enough through the mid 2'eens with a premiership win to help keep it going. Late 90's early 2k's I would fly up from Sydney for the game at QEII and the crowd figures would be abysmal so NQ hasn't always been a drawcard in Brisbane. 2005 season opener at Suncorp where JT made his club debut (following the 2004 finals game) IMO is where a lot of the NQ fans came out of the woodwork in SEQ.

nick87

Coach
Again I ask this question. How does a draft right now help WT given they have named atleast 6 guys from their juniors they want to develop?

Right now? What about the last 20 f**king years mate? Why get hung up on what helps the West Tigers today and not what might have helped them not be a total f**king basket case for 20 years?

Do you think the WT's just woke a couple of weeks ago and had a f**king epiphany and said "eureka! I've found the magic answer! DEVELOPING JUNIORS!"

Perhaps if they had access to a draft system, the last 10 years when they've absolutely stunk up the joint, they might have been able to draft a player capable of changing clubs fortunes and they wouldnt be in this position right now. And maybe they still would have been because they're just a poorly run club. But at least the league, who claims to want parity, would be able to say they've taken all reasonable measures to afford the tigers the opportunity to climb the ladder and the fans have another avenue to hold the decision makers to account... beacause if they stunk this long despite all these high draft picks, well that evidence the decision makers don't have a f**king clue what they're doing.

So congrats on their champion U17's side but what about all the years when they DONT have a champion U17's side, like the 20 of the last 21 years*?

*just a guess, not bothering to look up with Wests have won any of those titles in the last 20 years lol

beave

Coach
Right now? What about the last 20 f**king years mate? Why get hung up on what helps the West Tigers today and not what might have helped them not be a total f**king basket case for 20 years?

Do you think the WT's just woke a couple of weeks ago and had a f**king epiphany and said "eureka! I've found the magic answer! DEVELOPING JUNIORS!"

Perhaps if they had access to a draft system, the last 10 years when they've absolutely stunk up the joint, they might have been able to draft a player capable of changing clubs fortunes and they wouldnt be in this position right now. And maybe they still would have been because they're just a poorly run club. But at least the league, who claims to want parity, would be able to say they've taken all reasonable measures to afford the tigers the opportunity to climb the ladder and the fans have another avenue to hold the decision makers to account... beacause if they stunk this long despite all these high draft picks, well that evidence the decision makers don't have a f**king clue what they're doing.

So congrats on their champion U17's side but what about all the years when they DONT have a champion U17's side, like the 20 of the last 21 years*?

*just a guess, not bothering to look up with Wests have won any of those titles in the last 20 years lol
They've had talented juniors and let them go....... Fox, Tedesco, Papz, Moses etc....... A draft is just another aspect Pascoe and the rest can fail at.

nick87

Coach
They've had talented juniors and let them go....... Fox, Tedesco, Papz, Moses etc....... A draft is just another aspect Pascoe and the rest can fail at.
Indeed. Badly run clubs will always be bad. But as you know, once a draft is in place, a guy like Pascoe isnt going to last much beyond 2-3 years when his draft picks never pan out.
The media and fans will be on his arse and he'll get punted and the tigers would get an opportunity to get someone in there who can do a better job and improve the club.

Typically decision makers of orgs dont survive consistently bad drafting. The picks are a decison makers collateral. If the picks dont pan out, they get punted.

beave

Coach
Indeed. Badly run clubs will always be bad. But as you know, once a draft is in place, a guy like Pascoe isnt going to last much beyond 2-3 years when his draft picks never pan out.
The media and fans will be on his arse and he'll get punted and the tigers would get an opportunity to get someone in there who can do a better job and improve the club.

Typically decision makers of orgs dont survive consistently bad drafting. The picks are a decison makers collateral. If the picks dont pan out, they get punted.
The media and tigers fans have been on his ass deluxe for years. I understand what you're saying but what's worse, drafting a kid and he ends up being a bust or signing a kid and then letting him go to Melbourne and he kills it????

MugaB

Coach
We've got PBC, Keebra Park etc. We'd have more Australian Schoolboys at the moment than just about any club. A draft would disadvantage the Titans in a few years. You've got no idea what you are talking about but kudos to you for having an opinion!
Disadvantaged? Not sure how since those schools arent exclusively run for the "titans" yes they are local.. but they aren't titans owned, these kids don't go to those schools to become the next titan... youve got it all backwards, the draft wont disadvantaged you coz they are drafted elsewhere, youre disadvantaged coz the club is a basketcase

NQ have grabbed kids from Brisbane in the past. Tualagi, Hammer (he moved back to finish school in Tvl), Ponga were all playing in Brisbane when they were signed. They will scout league/union tournaments and have contacts down here no doubt but having an official public arrangement with a school in SEQ is probably not good optics for a team based out of NQ.

NQ are popular down here probably due to the Mango/JT thing partnership in the mid 2k's and then enough through the mid 2'eens with a premiership win to help keep it going. Late 90's early 2k's I would fly up from Sydney for the game at QEII and the crowd figures would be abysmal so NQ hasn't always been a drawcard in Brisbane. 2005 season opener at Suncorp where JT made his club debut (following the 2004 finals game) IMO is where a lot of the NQ fans came out of the woodwork in SEQ.
We had little support down here in the early days.