What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

Stallion

First Grade
For the first time ever in rugby league the Nrl has drawn a line in the sand and told clubs that, from this point forward we will not come to your rescue, you are on your own. This places clubs that are struggling financially now under the microscope. Tigers and manly seem most lost at the moment. So if manly don't get the developments or memberships they need there only option is to change and relocate. Tigers are the same. If the 4 different stadiums plan don't work for them and memberships drop off or don't increase they to will be in trouble. This goes for any Sydney team. In saying all that I feel if the Nrl can get the Sydney fans back on side and feel invested and at games, all teams could happily survive. I'm sure most clubs would prefer relocation over expulsion of it came down to it.

Overall a very negative comment on the game going forward. Exponential growth will not occur if you dismantle the longtine rivalries gained over many years of Sydney club existence. Simple as that. Their is a much more better way and it is additional clubs in other areas. More rugby league means more interest and consolidation along with genuine expansion doesnt put the code through the ringer again like superleague did!

DC_fan

Coach
Getting away from having 15 of the 16 teams situated in one time zone may help. Has to be Perth.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Overall a very negative comment on the game going forward. Exponential growth will not occur if you dismantle the longtine rivalries gained over many years of Sydney club existence. Simple as that. Their is a much more better way and it is additional clubs in other areas. More rugby league means more interest and consolidation along with genuine expansion doesnt put the code through the ringer again like superleague did!

No it’s actually not. I’ve been vocal on here and fair across the board. Clubs shouldn’t have a open cheque book from the Nrl to run there club. They have been blessed with a Nrl license and most Sydney clubs seem to take it for granted. Now I can except we need our history and the clubs bring that, but the Nrl should not and will not support a team/club that is running there business into the ground. Clubs are getting ~130% funding next year as well as a football cap. If clubs can’t stay afloat well they need new bosses or moved. It’s simple. I want all current clubs to survive but with all the money they are getting they must improve there balance sheet. Or there are perfectly placed expansion teams waiting in the wings.

The Nrl has well and truely supported the clubs. It’s about time the club bosses get held to account for there decisions.

Stallion

First Grade
No it’s actually not. I’ve been vocal on here and fair across the board. Clubs shouldn’t have a open cheque book from the Nrl to run there club. They have been blessed with a Nrl license and most Sydney clubs seem to take it for granted. Now I can except we need our history and the clubs bring that, but the Nrl should not and will not support a team/club that is running there business into the ground. Clubs are getting ~130% funding next year as well as a football cap. If clubs can’t stay afloat well they need new bosses or moved. It’s simple. I want all current clubs to survive but with all the money they are getting they must improve there balance sheet. Or there are perfectly placed expansion teams waiting in the wings.

The Nrl has well and truely supported the clubs. It’s about time the club bosses get held to account for there decisions.

Your comment is not thinking about the code! Most sports clubs run at a loss. Its the participation and interest that needs to be addressed. Profits are a bonus!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Your comment is not thinking about the code! Most sports clubs run at a loss. Its the participation and interest that needs to be addressed. Profits are a bonus!

Yes I am thinking about the code. And I realize that it is in there best interest to spend the money they predict they will have every year. But as has shown over the past 100 yrs clubs are useless at doing that. The more you give them the more they will spend. And the money they spend isn’t on improving memberships or fans experience and they probably wouldnt of changed it if the Nrl didn’t put KPI conditions on them. The clubs have in the past looked after junior players and look where we are. These same clubs have spent millions and benefitted from there Nrl named leagues clubs. These same leagues clubs have tens of thousands of members. Yet struggle to get 15000 members/ crowds to games.

I absolutely care for the code but maybe I just want clubs to take some accountability.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes I am thinking about the code. And I realize that it is in there best interest to spend the money they predict they will have every year. But as has shown over the past 100 yrs clubs are useless at doing that. The more you give them the more they will spend. And the money they spend isn’t on improving memberships or fans experience and they probably wouldnt of changed it if the Nrl didn’t put KPI conditions on them. The clubs have in the past looked after junior players and look where we are. These same clubs have spent millions and benefitted from there Nrl named leagues clubs. These same leagues clubs have tens of thousands of members. Yet struggle to get 15000 members/ crowds to games.

I absolutely care for the code but maybe I just want clubs to take some accountability.

Yes. Agree with what and the way you have said this. Im thinking the AFL must have a more hands on wholistic approach for junior development. This is where the participation issue for rugby league is now hurting the game. Think you will note the younger demographic in the tv ratings figures are not watching NRL as much. This is mostly to do with what they are playing when they are growing up. If rugby league dont address the junior development number issues then the game will continue to decline in interest. The NRL game itself is very entertaining however you need genuine participation to foster loyal interest. The other codes are doing this and unfortunately proactive and well targeted development isn't happening for our young people in many areas. The only positive article ive read about junior development is out Penrith way where Gus has created and maintained a pro junior development scenario at that club. The other clubs seem to be not doing this the right way? This where the NRL needs to assist if they can? And that's another question.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Yes. Agree with what and the way you have said this. Im thinking the AFL must have a more hands on wholistic approach for junior development. This is where the participation issue for rugby league is now hurting the game. Think you will note the younger demographic in the tv ratings figures are not watching NRL as much. This is mostly to do with what they are playing when they are growing up. If rugby league dont address the junior development number issues then the game will continue to decline in interest. The NRL game itself is very entertaining however you need genuine participation to foster loyal interest. The other codes are doing this and unfortunately proactive and well targeted development isn't happening for our young people in many areas. The only positive article ive read about junior development is out Penrith way where Gus has created and maintained a pro junior development scenario at that club. The other clubs seem to be not doing this the right way? This where the NRL needs to assist if they can? And that's another question.

Auskick has helped get primary school kids into Afl. Billy Slater has a program for kindy kids called Billy’s buddies. He started it up when he was injured. Seems like a great initiative and pretty successful by all reports. Maybe this is something the Nrl can help grow or takeover?

Stallion

First Grade
Auskick has helped get primary school kids into Afl. Billy Slater has a program for kindy kids called Billy’s buddies. He started it up when he was injured. Seems like a great initiative and pretty successful by all reports. Maybe this is something the Nrl can help grow or takeover?

I really think Leaguetag is the way to go. I spoke to some Mums over the past few years and they are very keen to have their kids play leaguetag as an introduction/precursor to the more physical version of rugby league in later years. I am amazed this has not been pushed in primary schools! And I mean a dedicated interschool primary level competition in areas all over Australia.

T-Boon

Coach
One thing rugby league could do to keep small kids playing in the face of the threat of massive kids is to allow the play maker positions (9, 7 and 6) to be substituted in and out of the game so that they don't play any defence. Having to tackle big kids repeatedly must have driven a lot of little Alfie Langer's out of the game in the last 15 years.
There is a guy playing Touch Footy for Australia (from the central coast) who is I think the most skilful Rugby player of any code in the world but he has said himself he was too small for RL. Sorry but he should be playing in the NRL.

Stallion

First Grade
One thing rugby league could do to keep small kids playing in the face of the threat of massive kids is to allow the play maker positions (9, 7 and 6) to be substituted in and out of the game so that they don't play any defence. Having to tackle big kids repeatedly must have driven a lot of little Alfie Langer's out of the game in the last 15 years.
There is a guy playing Touch Footy for Australia (from the central coast) who is I think the most skilful Rugby player of any code in the world but he has said himself he was too small for RL. Sorry but he should be playing in the NRL.

Ive found that many of the kids like the contact involved in tackling.Its convncing the mums and if leaguetag can introduce the kids and have the mums on side I think it will help junior participation numbers significantly.

T-Boon

Coach
Ive found that many of the kids like the contact involved in tackling.

No doubt. But there are a lot who don't like it. I am talking about the little guys who get targeted by big guys (think Chris Sandow) because they are skilful but small. There should be a place in the game for them. They are the entertainers.

Stallion

First Grade
No doubt. But there are a lot who don't like it. I am talking about the little guys who get targeted by big guys (think Chris Sandow) because they are skilful but small. There should be a place in the game for them. They are the entertainers.

Understand and that's why leaguetag can have those kids participate. Learn the special evasion techniques and hopefully proceed onto the tackling version. The tackling version needs to be sold to the public at large better. I believe it is a great way to enhance a growing persons confidence, discipline and resilience. The intense nature of the rugby league tackle is not highlighted as a very significant way of improving self confidence. The physical intensity involved in the rugby league tackle is like no other. Its just not being sold well to the public at large. Immersing a young kid into an intense physical contact scenario is character building. This is not being sold to the public who have plenty of football code choices these days.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
Little Leaguies is getting a run up here, sounds similar. Scott Prince is one of its proponents.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I really think Leaguetag is the way to go. I spoke to some Mums over the past few years and they are very keen to have their kids play leaguetag as an introduction/precursor to the more physical version of rugby league in later years. I am amazed this has not been pushed in primary schools! And I mean a dedicated interschool primary level competition in areas all over Australia.

NRL would have been better spending its money doing this than giving touch millions of $'s just to have brand connection. End of day touch players are t likleymto watch nrl just because their footy has a nrl badge on it. Getting every pri sry school in the country playing leaguetag however would be massive for the sport. Link the clubs into it with some major nrl investment and we are going somewhere.

Stallion

First Grade
NRL would have been better spending its money doing this than giving touch millions of $'s just to have brand connection. End of day touch players are t likleymto watch nrl just because their footy has a nrl badge on it. Getting every pri sry school in the country playing leaguetag however would be massive for the sport. Link the clubs into it with some major nrl investment and we are going somewhere.

Yes and the rules with a proper play the ball are very close to rugby league. Just amazed leaguetag is not a PSSA sport! I was speaking to a female teacher today and she said a girls AFL team she coached won the state school comp. I asked how many schools participated and she said all over the state. I was musing "why hasn't rugby league got leaguetag in the PSSA? "The kids are screaming out for it and the mums like it! Funnily enough this teacher had not heard of leaguetag at as yet!
If anything it should be ahead of touch as a PSSA sport as the set up requires time with putting the gear on so its less likely schools will play it on an informal /off the cuff basis whereas touch u can play with little set up of gear required. Btw. Touch used to be very much rugby league without the contact and ofcourse scrums. Over decades integral such as the play the ball with the foot and a marker made it less like rugby league. This is a major rule mistake. It used to be tippy league before it became touch football.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
It'll be interesting to know if having an off field cap will bring the field to a more level playing field and if so, putting expansion teams in won't seem as big of a risk.

I have no confidence in an off field cap as I do with the on field one, they can't police it as it is

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes it's highly doubtful it will be policed to the point it makes much difference on clubs expenditure levels. One thing clubs have to decide on is if leagues club funding is counted as legit revenue or is a pot they dip into to cover "losses". At the moment it gets covered like the club has lost $xmillion when in reality the leagues club has funded the gap between the football clubs expenditure and other generated revenue. This is important in knowing if the clubs are as up sht street as much as they and the media claim each year. How a club like the eels can have a revenue of around $20mill and still need $5mill for leagues club to break even is perplexing!

Expansion is likely to cost in the region of $30-35mill a year. What a ninth game is worth to tv deal is speculative but afl claim there's is worth $50mill plus. It's hard to fathom that with revenue of $600mill the nrl can't afford 5% of it to grow the comp. and take a punt that the ninth game content is going to generate significant revenue increases.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes it's highly doubtful it will be policed to the point it makes much difference on clubs expenditure levels. One thing clubs have to decide on is if leagues club funding is counted as legit revenue or is a pot they dip into to cover "losses". At the moment it gets covered like the club has lost $xmillion when in reality the leagues club has funded the gap between the football clubs expenditure and other generated revenue. This is important in knowing if the clubs are as up sht street as much as they and the media claim each year. How a club like the eels can have a revenue of around $20mill and still need $5mill for leagues club to break even is perplexing!

Expansion is likely to cost in the region of $30-35mill a year. What a ninth game is worth to tv deal is speculative but afl claim there's is worth $50mill plus. It's hard to fathom that with revenue of $600mill the nrl can't afford 5% of it to grow the comp. and take a punt that the ninth game content is going to generate significant revenue increases.

A ninth game will increase Nrl revenue and be a very attractive carrot for players. And juniors will have a further sparkle in their eyes. Positive allround however we won't hold our breath for such strategic and business like planning.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A ninth game will increase Nrl revenue and be a very attractive carrot for players. And juniors will have a further sparkle in their eyes. Positive allround however we won't hold our breath for such strategic and business like planning.

Our best hope is new blood on the commission and a new CEO in next couple of years. If Perth can get decent crowds for double header and origin and we get some fresh ideas and visionary people running the game, and existing clubs don't screw up, we have a hope for 2021/22. If not you can kiss any hope of expansion good bye, possibly for another decade or more.