What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL faces major turmoil as clubs threaten breakaway league

T-Boon

Coach
The players should be asking "what can we do to grow the pie so that our 30% (or whatever) is bigger?".
The NRL could answer: "spend your down time learning to speak, not drink....put a smile on your face when you get interviewed....say something interesting or even controversial...." (it is not just the players that need to get their act together but coaches as well...especially coaches actually).

The players union and agents should push for 5 minute quarter time and three quarter time breaks for more commercials...there is an extra $50k a year each player right there.

Someguy

First Grade
RL is relatively speaking a povvo sport - there's not as much money available as some people think.

Never will be a big money sport in relative terms either. Sydney is becoming a very different place and the percentage of the population interested in RL is on the decline, things still seem strong in parts of QLD but the NRL has no interest in the rest of the country. Players clubs and the NRL have to accept that we are a small time venture with no ambition to grow. We are somewhere near the ceiling of what players and clubs can earn. Very little expansion in crowd numbers or tv audiences our only growth right now is gambling dollars.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Never will be a big money sport in relative terms either. Sydney is becoming a very different place and the percentage of the population interested in RL is on the decline, things still seem strong in parts of QLD but the NRL has no interest in the rest of the country. Players clubs and the NRL have to accept that we are a small time venture with no ambition to grow. We are somewhere near the ceiling of what players and clubs can earn. Very little expansion in crowd numbers or tv audiences our only growth right now is gambling dollars.

I'm not so sure about that...

I think the games revenue is going to keep increasing in the medium term..

It has certainly increased dramatically in the past 20 years and crowds aren't up all that much in that period...

taipan

Referee
This is why I am totally in favour of putting a cap (and a very low one) on football department expenditure.

Expenditure on football departments adds a grand total of nothing to the code. The only thing I can think of is the wrestle.

Or missing goals and being awarded points for doing so.

taipan

Referee
Rothfield writes a gloom and doom article in the Teledroppings,and people fall for it.

Slow news day,Rothfield now that he has no dodgy mates in the gambling world and other let us say horizontal work ,has to fill up news slots for whatever he can , just expand, embellish or just plain BS about the subject matter..

T-Boon

Coach
We are somewhere near the ceiling of what players and clubs can earn.

I disagree.
There are heaps of ways league can grow the pie. Look for opportunities like playing in quarters, extra teams (10 games each week would be good), cap football department expenditure so that clubs are profitable and more can get spent on promotion, reduce the game to 11 man a side with 3 reserves...the possibilities go on and on.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Something has to replace NRL in NSW and QLD, which comprises half the country, if revenue is going to stop growing...

I'm a loss as to what that might be...

It won't be AFL or A-League...

Anything new is decades away...

Something has to replace NRL in NSW and QLD, which comprises half the country, if revenue is going to stop growing...

Bulldust. It's already here. Ready and waiting.

A good TV deal. A recruitment drive. A team in every major city.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 7.38.26 pm.png

T-Boon

Coach
GW, why are you always looking for ways to ruin our game ? Are you a secret AFL fan ?

Btw if you logged into your old GW account, you'll probably find you've been blocked more than once.

no you are.

Reactions: OVP

T-Boon

Coach

Haha. Also cricket is dying, so needs to be replaced....there is going to be a lot of empty space.10 episodes of The Block every week.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Haha. Also cricket is dying, so needs to be replaced....there is going to be a lot of empty space.10 episodes of The Block every week.

Yeah... It's not really in the media's interest to have less content to show and report on in News sites..

Don't think the Swans and Giants threatening a breakaway comp is going to be selling too many Telegraphs in Sydney..

no name

Referee

baseketball_1998_at_the_top_of_their_game.jpg