What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2024

pretty close - I reckon Luai might get 5/8 though?
Yea that's the one I sat on for a bit.

Went with Dearden in the end only cos Luai's best club games this year were at 7 and when Edwards was also playing a major role organising the attack, so may have pinched some points from him. But wouldnt argue with either of them getting it.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Yea that's the one I sat on for a bit.

Went with Dearden in the end only cos Luai's best club games this year were at 7 and when Edwards was also playing a major role organising the attack, so may have pinched some points from him. But wouldnt argue with either of them getting it.
be interesting to see how they view that - you're right - for me, Penrith still coming second pretty much without Clearly is amazing, and down to Luai and Edwards (and they missed Edwards for a bit too)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Anyone know if NZ TAB has opened any markets on the winners? Might put a sneaky on this multi if I can

Fullback of the Year - Dylan Edwards (Panthers)
Winger of the Year - Zac Lomax (Dragons)
Centre of the Year - Stephen Crichton (Bulldogs)
Five-eighth of the Year - Tom Dearden (Cowboys)
Halfback of the Year - Jahrome Hughes (Storm)
Hooker of the Year - Harry Grant (Storm)
Prop of the Year - Addin Fonua-Blake (Warriors)
Second-row of the Year - Angus Crichton (Roosters)
Lock of the Year - Isaah Yeo (Panthers)

Dally M Winner - Jahrome Hughes (Storm)
Think they stopped all betting on these types of awards years back because they are so open to corruption

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Sick of hearing the “you can’t be suspended from a grand final for that, he has worked hard all season” blah blah blah

Lindsay Collins worked hard all season as well to have his night ended in 10 seconds because the grub couldn’t get lower. “Other players were in the tackle and he couldn’t get lower”, bad luck
Couldn't possibly agree more if I tried. NAS tried to set the tone, he got it wrong - partly because of the actions of Katoa - he has a poor judiciary record (22 visits in 10 seasons I think?) and copped it because of those things. Who gives a f**k what week it is.

Blair

Coach
Couldn't possibly agree more if I tried. NAS tried to set the tone, he got it wrong - partly because of the actions of Katoa - he has a poor judiciary record (22 visits in 10 seasons I think?) and copped it because of those things. Who gives a f**k what week it is.
Watching replays it was an awful, thuggish shot that made me wince.

He wasn't playing this week.

Yea I agree, the time of year should be irrelevant so glad the judiciary chairman emphasised that in his summary.

That said, IMO the grading was excessive. I'm comfortable that his poor record is reflected in the ban loading, that's entirely appropriate. But that was a Grade 2 at worst in my view.

Suaalii's hit in Origin 1 was downgraded to a Grade 2 because Walsh dropped in height significantly. Without that mitigant it would've been a Grade 3 and there's no way that scenario would've been equivalent to NAS' tackle.

JJ

Immortal
Barnett unlucky not to be a finalist in prop of the year, disappointing that - don't recall a suspension etc, despite the dire season those two were great

Barnett unlucky not to be a finalist in prop of the year, disappointing that - don't recall a suspension etc, despite the dire season those two were great
It didn't help with Webster moving him to the edges throughout the season.

Agreed Taps and AFB were great this season on the field.

Yea unlucky alright... but gees the nominees are a helluva strong bunch. No shame missing out to those lads, and he must've been very very close.

Tapine's game against the Roosters has to be one of the most brutal games from a front rower I've ever seen. The man was smashing everyone.

Blair

Coach
I don't usually support the police in banning protests but, I believe, in this case they're right to apply to the Supreme Court to stop Sunday's planned Pro-Palestine protest.

It's GF day and we can't risk the city being badly affected.

Agree 100% with Gus. Galvin is the Rookie of the Year and daylight is second, I wasn't aware you couldn't get it if you got suspended. Dumb rule. Even Dally M, if you get a one-match ban for a minor incident, who cares? You miss the chance to score in that game. If you have an off-field incident or a big ban, certainly.
Yea I dunno TBH. It’s not like Galvin is the first rookie to be rubbed out. Preston was ruled out last year, and so was Walsh during his debut year with us.

I don’t remember Gus blowing up those times. Maybe because it’s because Galvin is easily the best of this year’s crop, but if it’s the principle that Gus is arguing then he’s a bit late with his outrage.

Agree 100% with Gus. Galvin is the Rookie of the Year and daylight is second, I wasn't aware you couldn't get it if you got suspended. Dumb rule. Even Dally M, if you get a one-match ban for a minor incident, who cares? You miss the chance to score in that game. If you have an off-field incident or a big ban, certainly.
I thought it had to be 2 games to be rubbed out.

Big Marn

Bench
Anyone know if NZ TAB has opened any markets on the winners? Might put a sneaky on this multi if I can

Fullback of the Year - Dylan Edwards (Panthers)
Winger of the Year - Zac Lomax (Dragons)
Centre of the Year - Stephen Crichton (Bulldogs)
Five-eighth of the Year - Tom Dearden (Cowboys)
Halfback of the Year - Jahrome Hughes (Storm)
Hooker of the Year - Harry Grant (Storm)
Prop of the Year - Addin Fonua-Blake (Warriors)
Second-row of the Year - Angus Crichton (Roosters)
Lock of the Year - Isaah Yeo (Panthers)

Dally M Winner - Jahrome Hughes (Storm)
Team of the year: James Tedesco, Zac Lomax, Stephen Crichton (capt), Herbie Farnworth, Brian To’o, Tom Dearden, Jahrome Hughes, Joseph Tapine, Harry Grant, Addin Fonua-Blake, Angus Crichton, Elisa Katoa, Isaah Yeo. Coach: Craig Bellamy. Rookie: Jack Bostock.

Everyone right bar the fullback.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Team of the year: James Tedesco, Zac Lomax, Stephen Crichton (capt), Herbie Farnworth, Brian To’o, Tom Dearden, Jahrome Hughes, Joseph Tapine, Harry Grant, Addin Fonua-Blake, Angus Crichton, Elisa Katoa, Isaah Yeo. Coach: Craig Bellamy. Rookie: Jack Bostock.

Who would you have had at 1 ?

Tedesco had an exceptional year, probably close to his best at NRL level.

They all got lucky Tom was injured ;)

I thought Grant had a down year, but no real standout 9 this year

Final Dally M Men’s Leaderboard

Jahrome Hughes 62
James Tedesco 61
Daly Cherry-Evans 51
Tom Trbojevic 46
Scott Drinkwater 45
Isaah Yeo 42
Kalyn Ponga 40
Dylan Edwards 34
Ben Hunt 33
Harry Grant 33

Yes I saw that... although I forgot there were two positional picks for wing, centre, second row and prop so my theoretical multi probably would've missed on one of those other 4 picks as well.

Stoked for Jahrome but gees that 6 point deduction he copped was a surprise. Given how rough that charge was at the time, it would've been a travesty if that cost him the medal.

Latest posts