What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals System Changed

Good decision to change finals system?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono1987

Juniors
The ultimate reward in the finals is a second chance (even if I do not believe such a thing should exist). No team in the bottom half of the 8 should ever be given that chance. Teams 1 and 2 are worse off week 1 but given a reprieve in week 2 should they lose by not having to travel.

I prefer this system to the McIntyre.

age.s

First Grade
...:lol:
Smalfut.jpg

You're on fire today champ.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Thank god is pretty much the common theme on here. My close mate is AFL mad and he was always going on about how much better the AFL is at everything related to their sport. Glad we have finally made a step in the right direction. Lets hope the Indep commission keeps making corret decisions in the future.

so he's retarted then :?

Raiderdave

First Grade
So even though it is the current AFL system, because rugby league used it 16 years ago it is not the AFL system. Because they "copied". What is this? Kindergarten?

the inventers of the system are its owners

we invented it

so its ours ilikeknobs ... K;-)

Ladmate

Bench
Team one and two have a McIntyre week 1 game in WEEK 2 of the ARL system should they lose in week 1. It's basically a guaranteed entry to the grand final qualifier.

adamkungl

Immortal
Team one and two have a McIntyre week 1 game in WEEK 2 of the ARL system should they lose in week 1. It's basically a guaranteed entry to the grand final qualifier.

Uhhh...but they had that in week 1 before.

Fact. it is now harder for team 1 to make the grand final.

Valheru

Coach
Finally sanity has prevailed.

I haven’t read the previous 18 pages but I imagine there is some banter about ti being the AFL system or originally ARL or whatever. It is a better system so it doesn’t matter where it came from.

Teams 1 and 2 get a double chance plus 2 home games
Teams 3 and 4 get a double chance plus 1 home game
Teams 5 and 6 get no double chance and 1 home games
Teams 7 and 8 get neither a double chance nor a home game

docbrown

Coach
Well I am glad that all the debate about the finals system has ended.................................................................................................................................

Tommax25

Bench
merkin.

Sorry, just read some of the merkin thread, had no idea of its origins and how the LU system changes the c word to merkin automatically, I thought it was just the insult of choice round these here parts. Wanted to test it out. Now the question for me is how often have I read posts with the word merkin in it were by people meaning to say cutie? :shock:

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
merkin.

Sorry, just read some of the merkin thread, had no idea of its origins and how the LU system changes the c word to merkin automatically, I thought it was just the insult of choice round these here parts. Wanted to test it out. Now the question for me is how often have I read posts with the word merkin in it were by people meaning to say cutie? :shock:

It's actually trained me to say merkin instead of merkin :lol: ...sometimes in real life.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I think it's a great insult in its own right. Especially since the recipient will no idea what you're calling them, unless they're a trivia nerd or a LU devotee.

wibble

Bench
Comparing the mathematics of the McIntyre system to the new NRL (and AFL) top 8 system:

Team 1 has the same chance to make the GF (about 57% to make the GF in McIntyre and new NRL system, if about 65% likely to win their matches)

Team 2 in the McIntyre system is about 7% more likely to make the GF (about 57% to make the GF in McIntyre vs 53% in the new NRL system)

Team 3 in the McIntyre system is about 17% less likely to make the GF (about 28% to make the GF in McIntyre vs 34% in the new NRL system)

Team 4 in the McIntyre system is about 34% less likely to make the GF (about 20% to make the GF in McIntyre vs 30% in the new NRL system)

Team 5 in the McIntyre system is about 129% more likely to make the GF(about 17% to make the GF in McIntyre vs 8% in the new NRL system)

Team 6 in the McIntyre system is about 18% more likely to make the GF. (about 10% to make the GF in McIntyre vs 8% in the new NRL system)

Teams 7 and 8 have the same (slim) chance to make the GF in either system.(about 5% to make the GF in either system)

This assumes that the higher ranked team wins about 65% of the time. As the higher ranked team becomes more favoured than this, Team 5 has an even better chance in the McIntyre system, at the expense of team 6, compared to the new NRL system (but a worse chance overall, still, if higher ranked teams are more likely to win; obviously all higher ranked teams improve their odds of making the GF
compared to lower ranked teams if we assume they are more likely to win any given match).

In the McIntyre system, 1 v 8 and 2 v 7 are impossible grand finals, and in the new NRL system, 5 v 8 and 6 v 7 are impossible grand finals.

Home team advantage does not really have to be linked to the method for eliminating teams and sending teams to the Preliminary Finals, though it is in both systems. I haven't adjusted these figures for home team advantage (other than to assume the higher ranked team, who usually gets the home team advantage, is more likely to win).

There is really not a lot of difference in terms of the performance of teams 1 and 2 and 7 and 8, but the McIntyre does definitely five 5 and 6 a better chance, at the expense of teams 3 and 4, compared to the new system (though 3 and 4 still have an absolute advantage over 5 and 6 in both systems).

Is team 4 having now a 30% probability rather than 20% of making the GF worth team 5 having an 8% (nearly the same as teams 7 and 8) probability now compared to a previous 17%, of making the GF? I guess when the 2012 finals start, only fans of teams 4 and 5 will really care. Still, if 5th finish on a roll, they can still win the GF with 4 finals wins in a row (only now they absolutely can not afford to lose their first match).

I personally prefer the McIntyre system, but don't have much in the way of any real problems with the old ARL system. However:

1) 1 and 2 do get a harder road, as many have said. Of course I could say that the weirdness of the rest of the system makes a change back to the old ARL an improvement for the competition as a whole.

2) This isn't so much a problem with the system as with the "home region finals" mixed with the system. If 3 or 4 wins in the first week, they go right to the third week with a home region final. However, for certain teams against certain opponents (Newcastle or Canberra against a Sydney team, Gold Coast against Brisbane) that effectively means that a team could finish 3rd or 4th and be "rewarded" with no home finals for its trouble and instead get two away finals.

3) And lastly, but for me the biggest problem with the old ARL System--the top two teams after 26 weeks facing off for a trip to the Grand Final that only one of them can make. It just seems like bad theatre to me to have a match up like that a week before the Grand Final. I personally would rather have a rematch in the third week, or even two rematches, than have the minor premiers play a team that could, in theory, have finished equal to them.

Latest posts