What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Hall of Fame 2024 + 14th Immortal

Is immortals going to be part of a hall of fame?

You have to be a member of the Hall of Fame first before you can become an Immortal. It says so on the NRL's website (source: https://www.nrl.com/hall-of-fame/induction-process/becoming-an-immortal/)-

1720737653223.png

As such Cameron Smith won't be immortal no. 14 as he is not a member of the Hall of Fame. Nor is Jonathan Thurston.

That would also mean the immortal is likely to come from someone on this list who isn't already one -

So I could see guys like Ron Coote, John Sattler, Bob McCarthy, John O'Neill, Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Gene Miles, Glen Lazarus, Steve Mortimer, Mark Graham, Stacey Jones, Steve Walters, Brad Clyde amongst the contenders.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You have to be a member of the Hall of Fame first before you can become an Immortal. It says so on the NRL's website (source: https://www.nrl.com/hall-of-fame/induction-process/becoming-an-immortal/)-

View attachment 90928

As such Cameron Smith won't be immortal no. 14 as he is not a member of the Hall of Fame. Nor is Jonathan Thurston.

That would also mean the immortal is likely to come from someone on this list who isn't already one -

So I could see guys like Ron Coote, John Sattler, Bob McCarthy, John O'Neill, Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Gene Miles, Glen Lazarus, Steve Mortimer, Mark Graham, Stacey Jones, Steve Walters, Brad Clyde amongst the contenders.
They'll do Smith at the same time. HoF, immortal.

Nutz

Bench

View attachment 90928

Exactly. Which will slowly bring it back to where we should be and as I said before it gives the immortal status more scrutiny. Once you set the scene there's no going back without harming the system.

Can we please not have any political/modern selections like Johns to satisfy Sydney journos/drunks?

Duncan Thompson is the man.

Andrew Johns is already in the Hall of Fame and an immortal. If you mean Matty, too early for him as a contributor. People like Geoff Prenter, Kevin Arthurson, John Quayle, Wayne Bennett and Warren Ryan would be well ahead of him.

Only issue with Duncan Thompson is, iirc, they more or less said when they did the last lot of inductees, that the group inducted in 2019 would be the last time they would consider anyone who played before WW2. If so, that's why Thompson won't get there.

Finally, and I could be mistaken here, I recall there being a limit on how many times a player can be considered to become an Immortal. So if they get considered twice and don't get it, they never get it.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Finally, and I could be mistaken here, I recall there being a limit on how many times a player can be considered to become an Immortal. So if they get considered twice and don't get it, they never get it.

That mightve been said by the old leadership or some jurnos making stuff up.

Provan was considered a number of times and finally got inducted.

I think Coote has been nominated a few times too so imagine the uproar if they said he's ineligible

That mightve been said by the old leadership or some jurnos making stuff up.

Provan was considered a number of times and finally got inducted.

I think Coote has been nominated a few times too so imagine the uproar if they said he's ineligible

The first time "The Immortals" induction was done by Rugby League Week to promote the magazine and a port.

It was only when they did the 2019 induction that they actually published the criteria used for determining Hall of Fame and Immortal inductions.

Additionally, the whole idea of immortals is they are meant to be the pinnacle. If they don't get the votes going by the criteria used after one or two attempts, they aren't going to get there. Otherwise you will wind up devaluing the whole idea of it. Be it Coote or any other player, as they will be considered forever until they get it. Not every Hall of Fame member deserves to be an Immortal.

Further, some are possibly looking at Coote viewing his playing career in addition to his work with Men in League (as it used to be called). Immortal status is reserved solely for players, so off field stuff doesn't really apply per se (e.g. See Andrew Johns and those who argued against his elevation).

Fangs

Coach
Should someone who has admitted using or found guilty of using illicit substances or performance enhancing drugs be exempt for Immortal or HoF status?

In the case of Andrew Johns they were performance dehancing drugs.

The fact he was on the pingas nearly every weekend and still playing God tier football just cements his place as an immortal.

Nutz

Bench
In the case of Andrew Johns they were performance dehancing drugs.

The fact he was on the pingas nearly every weekend and still playing God tier football just cements his place as an immortal.
OMG.

Nutz

Bench
The first time "The Immortals" induction Immortal status is reserved solely for players, so off field stuff doesn't really apply per se
"achieved outstanding feats on and off the field throughout a professional playing career"
Surely this includes being a good role model.