What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Hall of Fame 2024 + 14th Immortal

Fangs

Coach

Let's be honest on the older generations here. More likely to have been on the tins and causing absolute havoc John Donnelly style. Not all of them were saints. Andrew Johns is Mary Mackillop if we are to compare (I would say Mother Teresa but as many would suggest she was no saint).

I don't want to drag every immortals name through the mud but I'm sure there are some heavy stories about other players on that list.

Nutz

Bench
Let's be honest on the older generations here. More likely to have been on the tins and causing absolute havoc John Donnelly style. Not all of them were saints. Andrew Johns is Mary Mackillop if we are to compare (I would say Mother Teresa but as many would suggest she was no saint).

I don't want to drag every immortals name through the mud but I'm sure there are some heavy stories about other players on that list.
I'm going to take my legal drugs and have a nap. Counting the many tries I've scored I'll be asleep in no time.

Apey

Staff member
Should someone who has admitted using or found guilty of using illicit substances or performance enhancing drugs be exempt for Immortal or HoF status?
Off-field issues has literally nothing to do with becoming an Immortal.

The stories about John Raper alone, be they truthful or exagerated, give some indication. He was always known to be a party lover, but compensated by being a hard trainer and player on the field minimising its impact on his playing.

Nutz

Bench

Name and shame and quote your sources pls. One way to catch up is to rescind their status.

Nutz

Bench
Damn, my tigers were in that game tonight until the Sharks got to 58pts.
They need some of those performance enhancement stuff some of you guys are saying are OK to use.
I've tried to use some performance enhancement stuff but at my age I just get a headache. ;)

Cam Smith

He might be inducted into the Hall of Fame in this coming intake, but until he becomes a HoF'er he can't become an Immortal. Being in the Hall of Fame is a pre-requisite to being elevated to Immortal status.

Frankly, I think Billy Slater may yet become an Immortal before Cam does somehow.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Off-field issues has literally nothing to do with becoming an Immortal.
Imagine if anyone who stepped out of line even once had to get scrubbed from the records. There wouldn’t be anyone left lol. Let’s not forget Thurston isn’t the angel some seem to be convinced he is.

I have no doubt either Thurston or Smith will be the 14th. I’m fine with either of them.

mozza91

Coach
I do love that Joey admitting to occasionally doing pingers and coke mostly during the off season and rarely during the season equates to him playing whilst under the influence.

There’s 0% chance that he was doing drugs prior to a game or even the day before. It has literally nothing to do with his performance on the field.

He was the greatest player of all time regardless of off field stuff. The fact that he’s bipolar and had to deal with that on a daily basis was far more detrimental to his footy than anything else.

Chimp

Bench
A couple of things for me;

1 - There’s a real risk of them diluting the whole Immortal thing by admitting too many

2 - They should clear up historical admissions now to get us to a line in the sand - I’d probably go pre-2000. Give them to whoever deserves them pre-2000 and then just keep it topping up with more recent retirees that are deserving. I don’t see the rush to get more recently retired players in if there’s guys from the older generations who’ll end up in - might aswell get the old boys in whilst they’re still with us…

3 - Smith will undoubtedly end up an immortal, but I’m also in the camp that his legacy is tainted by the Melbourne scandal. And he needs to wait for me….

4 - Thurston should be nowhere near the conversation. He couldn’t tackle. For me, an immortal should be the best of the best in their position, on both sides of the ball and in all aspects. Thurston was very good and a very important player, but nowhere near Johns, Meninga type levels in comparison to his peers.

mongoose

Coach
Of players I've seen

1. Smith
2. Lockyer
3. Lazarus
4. Slater
5. Thurston

I can't vouch for Alan Langer or Brad Filter as Immortals because neither were head and shoulders above their peers (namely Stuart and Daley). They just had greater longevity.

Sterling and Kenny were before my time so can't comment

Apey

Staff member
A couple of things for me;

1 - There’s a real risk of them diluting the whole Immortal thing by admitting too many

2 - They should clear up historical admissions now to get us to a line in the sand - I’d probably go pre-2000. Give them to whoever deserves them pre-2000 and then just keep it topping up with more recent retirees that are deserving. I don’t see the rush to get more recently retired players in if there’s guys from the older generations who’ll end up in - might aswell get the old boys in whilst they’re still with us…

3 - Smith will undoubtedly end up an immortal, but I’m also in the camp that his legacy is tainted by the Melbourne scandal. And he needs to wait for me….

4 - Thurston should be nowhere near the conversation. He couldn’t tackle. For me, an immortal should be the best of the best in their position, on both sides of the ball and in all aspects. Thurston was very good and a very important player, but nowhere near Johns, Meninga type levels in comparison to his peers.
Yep I really hope they're going to add a couple more from pre-2000 before we do Smith etc. Would love to see Sterlo there.

I have no doubt either Thurston or Smith will be the 14th. I’m fine with either of them.

As neither Thurston nor Smith are currently in the Hall of Fame they are ineligible to become an Immortal with this induction. Being in the Hall of Fame is a pre-requisite to becoming an Immortal.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
As neither Thurston nor Smith are currently in the Hall of Fame they are ineligible to become an Immortal with this induction. Being in the Hall of Fame is a pre-requisite to becoming an Immortal.
Read the articles. Eligibility has changed. On 21 August they will induct Smith and Co into the hall of fame. They are then eligible to be immortals on that day.

Bazal

Post Whore
JT isn't that level. He never carried a side to a ring, that was Michael Morgan

He'll be an immortal eventually IMO. I think he's 50/50 tbh. But they'll put him there.

He did lead the Cows to their first premiership through the year, even if Morgan was better when the games got big. And his role in the QLD origin dominance will get him there. He's the best halfback of his era and easily better than f**ken Alfie Langer who is getting a mention. Sterling etc should be recognised first though.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
He'll be an immortal eventually IMO. I think he's 50/50 tbh. But they'll put him there.

He did lead the Cows to their first premiership through the year, even if Morgan was better when the games got big. And his role in the QLD origin dominance will get him there. He's the best halfback of his era and easily better than f**ken Alfie Langer who is getting a mention. Sterling etc should be recognised first though.
Langer shits on JT imo