What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Hall of Fame 2024 + 14th Immortal

Fangs

Coach
I think the Benji decision is more to do with off-field impact.

He was one of the most marketable NRL players of all time. Every single kid around 2005 in Australia wanted to be Benji Marshall. Deadset even prop forwards were trying to step like him.

Grand final and WC win so not the worst record either.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I cant argue with the players named especially Renouf and the Queensland players in that strong Origin period but to me there's too many in one era. They couldve named some of them at a later stage and its liked theyve rushed them in there and basically forgot about other eras.

Reactions: Vee

Munky

Coach
Benji played three good seasons in his NRL career.

Won a world cup.

Had some amazing highlights before his stint in Union.

His return from 2014 to 2021 he was mediocre at best. Only memorable part of his play was cut out passes into row H.

However, if you view the NRL as an entertainment product with a narrative, you can't tell the story of post millennium rugby league without Benji being a key character.

King hit

Coach
Benji isn't that level of player imo. Fun to watch but more likely to lose you a game than win one
He carried the tigers to a premiership and inspired New Zealand to a World Cup and 4 nations finals wins in Australia against the maroons spine of the incredibles. That’s all you need to know how good he was

Tiger5150

Bench
I dont disagree with most of the criticism of Benji's inclusion from a playing ability POV and there were plenty of "better"/more consistent players but just as someone quoted recency bias, I also think many here forget the innovative nature of Benji's play. I would suggest the game has not previously seen a player like him, the step, the flick passes etc. he paved the way for the Shaun johnsons etc.

IMO he is worth the inclusion on the basis of the way he changed the game.

Dragon Trev

Juniors
Agree with most inductees, as expected.

Boyd - should be in House of Shame.
Big Sam - think there’s some other Englishmen who should go in before him, eg: Mal Reilly
Benji - surprised no other Kiwi’s previously, eg: Mark Graham,

Too often we think of the current time, without thinking of those that paved the way.

Reactions: Vee

Vee

First Grade
Agree with most inductees, as expected.

Boyd - should be in House of Shame.
Big Sam - think there’s some other Englishmen who should go in before him, eg: Mal Reilly
Benji - surprised no other Kiwi’s previously, eg: Mark Graham,

Too often we think of the current time, without thinking of those that paved the way
Mal Reilly 100%. Not sure about the criteria, Mark Graham might already be there? If not, 100% ahead of Benji.

Latest posts