What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Hall of Fame 2024 + 14th Immortal

_Johnsy

Referee
Well it’s all blowing up on the NRL with Brohman asking why Les Boyd got a gig. I must say I’m inclined to agree with him. I remember that Origin game like it was yesterday. If anybody did that in today’s game they’d be gone for life and probably sued for everything they’ve got.

I hate awards because someone’s always going to miss out, and some numpty is going to get a gig ( Benny Elias?).

John Dorahy, Mal Reilly, Alan Thompson, Rod Reddy, Steve Edge, Big Del, Sam Backo……….there are just too many equally worthy candidates.

DAFAQ

JamesRustle

First Grade
Not so much the controversy but who is going to tune in to watch someone they’ve never heard of have their grandchildren talk about their career and how great they were? The rusted on fans will do that but the more casual fans won’t be interested.

That said, it helps 9 and Fox being able to introduce their panelists as Hall of Famers, especially the ones who cannot string a coherent sentence together.
NRL needs to take control and set out how they intend to make things right for older generation players and set a framework, something like:

2025:
- do a job lot on players who retired up to the year 2000 HOF in one hit.
- if there's a ratio of HOF to Immortal, then do a job lot to decide those Immortals.
- assess 2001-2005 HOF

2026:
- assess 2001-2005 Immortals
- assess 2006-2010 HOF

2027:
- assess 2006-2010 Immortals
- assess 2011-2015 HOF

2028:
- assess 2011-2015 Immortals
- assess 2016-2020 HOF

2029:
- assess 2016-2020 Immortals
- assess 2021-2025 HOF

2030 onwards:
- resume annual assessments for HOF and Immortals
- allow for any oversights from prior years - which will allow continued debate and controversy to play out in the media.

Right now, I couldn't give a toss about any of it, as it is all random or reactionary (FFS they adjusted the framework to get Smith in this year - that merkin can wait). Take ownership and make it something all fans and players can be proud of.