What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in general.....

edabomb

First Grade
Who here is finding the NRL in general a bit boring this year?? I still love watching the Raiders play, but rarely tune into any other games now. I think the major reason behind this is the lack of evolution in the game in the past 5 years. If you look between every era there has been changes in rules etc.. We haven't had major rule changes since the 5m to 10m cross over.

Also, it seems teams that are strong constantly stay at the top. Roosters, Bulldogs, Knights (with Johns) and Brisbane have all been extremelly strong since 1996. Conversly, the Rabbitohs, West Tigers, Manly (since 98) have all struggled to improve at all over long periods of time.

thickos

First Grade
Everyone raves on about how this is the closest comp for ages - I disagree. Last year was the best. This season we have 3 standouts and the rest are pretenders. The gap from 3 to 4 is huge - 6 points. Compare this to last season where we finished 4th, but could have been minor premiers on the final Sunday of the season.

Great year, that beloved 2003 :cry:

Yeah it's not as good as last year, but then again, if we were coming 1st we'd probably say it's the best year ever...

If there is one positive, I love the Cowboys now, they are the most entertaining team in the comp. I'm glad to see they're doing well.

edabomb

First Grade
Yea but again the Cowboys will go nowhere near the premiership. I guess in a way its like 1995. Teams way out in front like us and Manly were then.There were some nice stories in the final like Newcastle, and then the Dogs came from nowhere to win. Can't see it happening this year though.

Paullyboy

Coach
I couldnt disagree any more if I tried Edabomb - im absolutely loving the footy this year. I just want more and more!

Paullyboy

Coach
Quite possibly, being a Queenslander though Im absolutely loving watching the Cowboys surge - the vibe up here about them is so great

RaidersMalt

Juniors
I do get sick of watching the Roosters and Dragons on FTA TV every week, but have been loving the Cowboys doing well. They have always had huge crowds up there, so its great that the fans have been rewarded for their loyalty.

There have always been a couple of teams who domintate for a few years, but who would have thought last year the Panthers would have come from last to first in 2003!

The games are still exciting, and with the golden point rule introduced I think this had added to the excitement of close contests.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I find it a bit disheartening that there can be a team like the Roosters around who just have a paycheck team, and they dominate the competition. When they have at FTA game every week I lose a bit of interest.

Brimmer

Juniors
Forgive me if somebody else posted this (I didn't read them all...) but the coverage of free-to-air games seem to involve the same teams every week!!! That's what I find boring...

I think the draw should be settled before game 1 in regards to which day they play and give every team a go on Friday night!?!?!? Geez... and they wonder why people don't follow canberra any more...

I can count the free-to-air games on one hand over the past 2 or 3 years...

edabomb

First Grade
Agreed. It would be cool seeing a Cowboys game on Friday night. Maybe vs the Tigers, because they play with a lot of passion. Of course the Raiders playing the Cowboys would be best, but I don't like the chances.

So who is it tonight?? An understrength Dragons vs the Storm.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Dragons, most over-rated team in history? Finally someone on the Footy Show last night (Sterlo), admitted that it was a very good possibility that the Dragons mightn't make the eight.

Raider Azz

Bench
I agree with the Dragons being overrated. For a team that is supposed to have so much class, why are they on the fringe of the top 8? I also don't understand why Nathan Brown is rated so highly as a coach.

edabomb

First Grade
On form the Dragons are awesome. But their form, like ours, lasts 2 weeks at the maximum. Plus they're losing a host of players next season.