What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL marketing morons.

eozsmiles

Bench
FFS. Marketing is not aimed at the bogan hardcore fan who wants to show up to a dinner in shorts and thongs.

Marketing is to make the game attractive to casual fans and neutral potential fans. Seeings Corby family level boganism at a formal launch is not a respectable look for the game.

Marketing can be aimed at everyone. Just depends what you are selling.

I agree that this event in particular is not so much for the hardcore fan because our season hardly ends. People talk footy all year and the newspapers etc have been plugging the 2014 season and supercoach etc for weeks. For the 100% fans, the season is already launched when the trials start! We've already had the 9's, the charity shield, the WCC. Most fans have pencilled in their top 17. Things are well under way.

This event is for the media and sponsors. It is a chance for the game to put on a suit and tie and woo the top end of town, get some nice bloke like Mini on the TV giving a speech, all that smoozing type of stuff.

The TV ads are marketed to the hardcore. All the stars of the game that we recognise, big hits, "that's my team", all that stuff. We relate to that because we get it. Like you said, this type of gig attracts new sponsors etc.

The idea that this type of event attracts new or casual fans is off base IMO. They might enjoy a cocktail in Pyrmont but if they don't like tackling, they'll be gone by the end of April.

Maybe next year there should be two season launches? One somewhere like Parra Stadium with a huge BBQ and lots of players signing autographs and taking photos. And then a flash do for Packer and Bouris at Pyrmont somewhere. Everyone wins.

PS I don't know where last nights show was at but maybe the venue had a dress code rather than the NRL? Some bars never allow footy shorts, maybe the launch was held at one of those joints.

eozsmiles

Bench
As a marketing professional I resent this. No one in marketing has had a pony tail since 1993. Marketing people are now tragic douchebags in skinny jeans, slogan t shirts, beards and buddy holly glasses.

This

I was going to say the same thing. Marketing pros today are more like the bloke with the t-shirts on "The Gruen Transfer".

newman

First Grade
It's a bitching thread and I had my bitch so it turned out perfectly.

The fact some gronks think I needed a wave of support is irrelevant.

Chook.

So you were serious in the OP? This isn't a joke? You are genuinely upset that you couldn't wear your footy jersey to an evening function?

Chook

First Grade
So you were serious in the OP? This isn't a joke? You are genuinely upset that you couldn't wear your footy jersey to an evening function?

Not genuinely upset, I just don't think the NRL thought about their target audience. How many footy fans go to cocktail parties?

Chook.

newman

First Grade
Not genuinely upset, I just don't think the NRL thought about their target audience. How many footy fans go to cocktail parties?

Chook.

Well there's one right here. Footy fan doesn't necessarily mean tragic bogan and thank Odin for that.

ek999

First Grade
Another one here.

I don't mind this idea though, let the fans wear what they would wear to the footy. I would also like players to turn up to all events in their playing gear because that is what they wear at the footy too. Headgear and strapping included

Chook

First Grade
Well there's one right here. Footy fan doesn't necessarily mean tragic bogan and thank Odin for that.

Non purveyor's of cocktail parties doesn't necessarily equate to being a tragic bogan either.

Chook.

eozsmiles

Bench

Chook.

Like I said in another post, I don't think the real fans are the target audience for the launch. Rugby League has a bit of a boofy rep in the top of town, so a flash gig like this shows the potential sponsors that there is more to the game.
I think the real fans, scarves, and jumpers in the room were essentially props used to impress upon the suits the kind of passion fans have for their game. Players and fans walking shoulder to shoulder down the stage, great symbolism. Fact is they don't need any fans to have a launch - you just get the club CEO's and captains plus Dave Smith and co, whack them in club suits, and wheel them out in front of the cameras and sponsors.

Your point is not completely lost on me but I think the vibe/market you are talking about is more for a fan day than a season launch.

cheers

newman

First Grade

Chook.

And it's not about who goes to cocktail parties. "Cocktail attire" is a widely accepted descriptive term for a standard of dress that sits beneath formal and above smart casual and is entirely appropriate for that event. Cocktails have nothing to do with it.

Brutus

Referee
As long as the marketing morons don't hype up SBW v SB in round one then I'll be happy.

Chook

First Grade
And it's not about who goes to cocktail parties. "Cocktail attire" is a widely accepted descriptive term for a standard of dress that sits beneath formal and above smart casual and is entirely appropriate for that event. Cocktails have nothing to do with it.

We are talking a football season launch, not a royal reception or a movie premier, a football season launch where football fans were invited. If they wanted it hob nob then they should have just invited the nobs.

Chook.

newman

First Grade
We are talking a football season launch, not a royal reception or a movie premier, a football season launch where football fans were invited. If they wanted it hob nob then they should have just invited the nobs.

Chook.
A royal reception would be White Tie or Morning Jacket standard of dress.
A movie premiere would be formal.

What do you wear to a wedding? Seriously.

BunniesMan

Immortal
FFS. This was not targeted at people like you who use the term "hob nob".

Bogans were allowed to come because you can't exactly lock them out but it was aimed at business people and at the non hardcore non diehard fans. Looking professional is part of that.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Chook.

But you did get invited.

Chook.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Not sure how hard it is to wear a shirt, pants and a good jacket. It isn't a suit, no-one is asking you to wear a suit!

newman

First Grade
FFS. This was not targeted at people like you who use the term "hob nob".

Bogans were allowed to come because you can't exactly lock them out but it was aimed at business people and at the non hardcore non diehard fans. Looking professional is part of that.

How would you know. You admitted to being an overweight shut in that was so pathetic you had to manufacture an online persona because you couldn't deal with the outside world.