What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 16 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

This is one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a while as a neutral.
f**ken refs and bunkers ruining it with their Storm preferences!
That was a try last week for Zac Lomax.

Blair

Coach
The Dolphins can't crack the line in the last ten minutes.

It's still 30-22...shepard! Penalty Dolphins...30-24, two and a half minutes left! Isaako's held up. It's over...now a one-on-one strip! Dolphins in? Nooooo!!!

What a game. 30-24, Storm. Final.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
In the 90s, clear no try for Lemuelu, but that went up as a try, and his fingers never left the ball so contact with his hand was on the ball the entire time, don’t know how they overturn that

Big Marn

Bench
In the 90s, clear no try for Lemuelu, but that went up as a try, and his fingers never left the ball so contact with his hand was on the ball the entire time, don’t know how they overturn that
Nah. his finger was clearly sliding off the ball at the time. no downward pressure. If you are going to award a try based on a finger in contact, you may as well change it to NFL rules where the ball just has to cross the plane of the tryline.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Nah. his finger was clearly sliding off the ball at the time. no downward pressure. If you are going to award a try based on a finger in contact, you may as well change it to NFL rules where the ball just has to cross the plane of the tryline.

downward pressure interpretation went years ago, you are right it was sliding off the ball, but it never actually came off, so when the ball hit the turf, he still had contact on it

Big Marn

Bench
downward pressure interpretation went years ago, you are right it was sliding off the ball, but it never actually came off, so when the ball hit the turf, he still had contact on it
You're completely right of course.

I'm just glad the bunker had the common sense to rule the old way.

There are different points of view on this. Im in the school of the following. There are 2 aspects to a try. 1) getting the ball to and over the try line. 2) control of the football when placing the ball on the ground with downward pressure to signify a try.
For some reason, the NRL have steadily moved away from this interpretation. I dont know why. A finger tip sliding off the ball at the time the ball touches the ground with no downward pressure is not a try. Bouncing a ball is not a try in my book either. Never was and never should ever be.
Even though Bunker make egregious decisions every game (including tries) the decision to overturn the try given by the ref was the correct thing to do. There were sufficient camera angles to see the player was not in control of the ball. Sometimes there are not enough angles to overturn a decision.
Common sense prevailed. I am glad that following the "letter of the law" isnt always the norm in the bunker, (though it seems like it at times).
Be interesting to see if Annesley says anything about it on Monday.

Blair

Coach
Gee, we'd hate the bunker to be deciding a final, even the grand final, on this 'not necessarily needing downward pressure' ruling. Particularly if a side like Melbourne benefit.

Paul Vautin was adamant it was no try. He's old school of course but followed common sense there. You shouldn't be able to spill the pill, over the line, for a try.

This reminded me how often I've heard the word 'separation' used when these try decisions are being analysed.

Blair

Coach
The Titans will be pissed off with a bye next week. After a 66-6 thrashing of our rabble in Robina they'd want to kick on with it.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Great game so far in Gosford despite the conditions, some fantastic offloads and shots put on

Think in an hours time there may be a similar score to the Warriors game, 60% of the salary cap unavailable

Blair

Coach
Meanwhile, over in Auckland, the Blues ended a 21-year drought. I bet in 2003, if someone said 'your next win will be in 2024', then they'd have laughed.

Anyway, they're the hottest ticket in town. Is Roger kicking himself?

Blair

Coach
Doueihi's back for Wests but they've lost nine straight at Campbelltown.

The Tigers also have their first player not born when they last won the premiership.

Latest posts