What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 27 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
ABs are not good atm.
The Wallabies were woeful early, their mistakes just gifted dominance, and the pile on of points, to the ABs.

My brother and I went a bit flat too. After the rousing haka - the crowd was in awe - we wanted a decent game. We got it, so well done to Australia and the result was nice in the end.

It was a festival of rugby with people from all over but I hope next year (there's only one game of rugby a year for me and my bro, the Bledisloe, in Sydney) is played at night.

It was bloody hot with that blazing sun directly on us. AB fans, in particular, were dying in all that black. We had to shield ourselves before kick-off with these big cardboard sponsors hands! Initially I refused the offer of one but then ran back out the front to grab a couple! They were brilliant but bring back footy in the cool of night.

Big Marn

Bench
The Wallabies were woeful early, their mistakes just gifted dominance, and the pile on of points, to the ABs.

My brother and I went a bit flat too. After the rousing haka - the crowd was in awe - we wanted a decent game. We got it, so well done to Australia and the result was nice in the end.

It was a festival of rugby with people from all over but I hope next year (there's only one game of rugby a year for me and my bro, the Bledisloe, in Sydney) is played at night.

It was bloody hot with that blazing sun directly on us. AB fans, in particular, were dying in all that black. We had to shield ourselves before kick-off with these big cardboard sponsors hands! Initially I refused the offer of one but then ran back out the front to grab a couple! They were brilliant but bring back footy in the cool of night.
that was unfortunate with the blazing sun? Is Sydney having a heatwave in September? I would have thought it would have been a nice spring game to go to if i had been the scheduler. We definitely wouldnt have had blazing sun in NZ if the game had been played there in the afternoon. I actually miss the old 2pm games on a Saturday that used to be the norm. But im old school so behind the times etc.

Blair

Coach
that was unfortunate with the blazing sun? Is Sydney having a heatwave in September? I would have thought it would have been a nice spring game to go to if i had been the scheduler. We definitely wouldnt have had blazing sun in NZ if the game had been played there in the afternoon. I actually miss the old 2pm games on a Saturday that used to be the norm. But im old school so behind the times etc.
The last Bledisloe Cup to be played in Sydney in the afternoon was in 1995, and I was there! I walked in with twenty minutes to go so may not recall any heat issues (it was in August though).

Yes, Sydney is 'unseasonably' warm. The entire west-facing, lower-tier (the expensive seats - my bro's shout, bless him) had the sun in our face right up into the second-half). It was murder at 2:30 pm when the early birds got to our seats.

I had sunscreen and a floppy hat (slip, slop, slap) but others got burnt. Only a few of us had those cardboard signs.

Blair

Coach
I'm so gutted when it's Ka Mate.

Yeah, Kapa's grown on me. I wish they'd mic'd it up better inside the stadium but it still had people from all over the world in raptures.

Jo'burg South Africans are the pits making so much noise to drown it out but I've never been to a game there. Perhaps their singing and general noise creates its own kind of stadium maelstrom. Actually, I'm sure it does.

I know what I prefer though.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Two props in the RLPA team of the year, we'd have sacrificed our grandmothers to have that a couple of years ago. Yet still 13th...

Hurts to see Katoa in the 2nd row, and contracted until 2027 I think

Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
33-13 last night at the Cake Tin.

TJ Perenara is a superb haka leader. I'm glad I caught on to this before it was too late (he's 33). He's singlehandedly converted me to Kapa O Pango (although I still love Ka Mate, which they did ferocious version of last night, in honour of Te Rauparaha).

I didn't catch the game as I was working.

Matua

Bench
33-13 last night at the Cake Tin.

TJ Perenara is a superb haka leader. I'm glad I caught on to this before it was too late (he's 33). He's singlehandedly converted me to Kapa O Pango (although I still love Ka Mate, which they did ferocious version of last night, in honour of Te Rauparaha).

I didn't catch the game as I was working.
Not wishing to get in a shitfight but I don't like TJP as a kaea, he has a screechiness to his voice that rubs me the wrong way.

I also don't like Ka Mate but that's likely because Kapa incorporates more East coast (little C on purpose as I specifically mean Kahungunu up to Porou), but that's just my preference.

Matua

Bench
Two props in the RLPA team of the year, we'd have sacrificed our grandmothers to have that a couple of years ago. Yet still 13th...

Hurts to see Katoa in the 2nd row, and contracted until 2027 I think
That's cos they have to do the work of entire prop rotation on their own.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Fletch and Hindys awards show

BEST COMEBACK

Nominees:
Angus Crichton, Bronson Xerri, Nathan Brown, Matt Lodge’s hair

Winner: Matt Lodge’s hair

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS COACH OF THE YEAR

Nominees:
Todd Payten

Winner: Todd Payten

HEARTTHROB OF THE YEAR

Nominees:
Reece Walsh, Herbie Farnworth, Valentine Holmes, Cameron McInnes

Winner: Cameron McInnes

BEST PEST

Nominees:
Reed Mahoney

Winner: Reed Mahoney

Reed Mahoney won pest of the year. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
Reed Mahoney won pest of the year. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

MAGIC MOMENT

Nominees:
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Nathan Cleary, Xavier Coates, Tom Dearden

Winner: Xavier Coates

NEPO BABY OF THE YEAR

Nominees:
Tyran Wishart, Kyle Flanagan, Nathan Cleary, Billy Walters, Cooper Johns

Winner: Cooper Johns

LEGENDARY LEGEND

Winner: Steve Menzies