What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL ready to answer finals plea - SUNDAY ARVO FINALS!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
P32 of today's tele basically says that the big thing on the agenda for the mid-November conference will be returning to Sunday arvo finals!!! No more Friday night crapola!!! :crazy:

innsaneink

Referee
Lets hope so, personally Id rather forfeit the friday game and wait one more day and have the semis on the sat & Sun....was ridiculous having the weekends footy over and done with on the sat nite and nothing on the Sun.
Easier for fans too...it just makes sense

Timmah

Staff member
The only advantage was an extended build up for week 2's winners and the Grand Finalists... and even then some could argue that could end up detrimental.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Its definately a night grand final, they will not be discussing that and rightly so. I think there should be day finals but still the night grand final.

chinorocks

Juniors
the night grand final is a f*cking joke...the quality of the football suffers because its to dewey and the atmops is nowhere near as good.

BrisVegas

Juniors
eels_fan_01 said:
Its definately a night grand final, they will not be discussing that and rightly so. I think there should be day finals but still the night grand final.

The Grand Final should be moved back to the afternoon as soon as poosible, before more damage is done. The Night Grand Final smacks of pandering to NSW at the expense of all other regions, which is rather idiotic considering the poor Sydney rating.

It's sad how much the NRL grand final is being degraded as an "Event" here in QLD. Years ago it was huge, dozens of people over at friends places, the BBQ, the game, then the after game party. These days it's little more then going around to a friends place with a few mates, watching the game and having one or two beers if you don't have to drive, then heading straight home to go to bed for work the next day. It must be even worse for people in New Zealand as the game doesn't kickoff till after 10pm and finishes after midnight.

Even more worrying is that AFL is filling the void. The AFL grand final party I went to had 3x the people and even more worrying was my mates young kids running around having a blast before sitting down to watch the game with everyone. My friend wasn't able to come around the following night as he had to put the kids in bed - not a chance they were able to stay up and watch the game. It's losing the young viewers as kids that is the most worrying thing.

airpoe

Juniors
NRL will consider moving the friday night game to sunday, but it will all depend on how big is ch9's paycheck is!!

Rocco

Juniors
when i was at the gf last sunday

it didnt feel as if it was a gf, the newtown and parra game was felt more like the classic traditional sunday arvo gf.

fourplay

Juniors
Rocco said:
it didnt feel as if it was a gf, the newtown and parra game was felt more like the classic traditional sunday arvo gf.

You are spot on..... the Newtown vs Parramatta game was a lot more exciting and flowing too..... we really need the Sunday arvo game back.

eels_fan_01

Bench
I dont know, i like the night grand final because as i go to the grand finals i like to go around 2 and watch all the games which are in the day so its still a day thing for me.

I guess a 5pm would make nearly everyone happy as you could have the bbq and a dinner at a party and kids would be able to watch it.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
look, why isnt this being regarded as a possibility? Saturday Night GF... it works for all concerned (NZ, VIC, QLD as well as NSW)... and it retains the atmosphere of the Night GF.

westie

Bench
It's not 1908 any more, lights and electricity are now common place. Any one thinking that atmosphere is better during the day than at a built up night game is surely deluded.

Timmah

Staff member
I actually agree with westie there... the atmosphere has been there... never more than at the Penrith v Roosters GF in 2003. The stadium was absolutely electric that night!