What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL ready to answer finals plea - SUNDAY ARVO FINALS!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Saturday night sounds fine... although I do believe there's only a couple of states who have school the Monday morning anyway... deadset though, it's an event on the NSW sporting calendar. Sure it's a National Rugby League but the event is in Sydney. Either way it's rated better since it went to nights than it ever did during the day, and only once did it not have a near-capacity crowd since then.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Seriously, Who give's a f*ck about atmosphere?

You go to the top of Centrepoint tower for atmosphere... I just go to a National Rugby League Grand Final for a great game of football.

It's just like Golden point, why do we need it to make Rugby League more exciting? If you don't think Rugby League is exciting enough as is,you've got serious issues.

Sunday Arvo Grand Finals thanks... After all, they've never changed the timeslot for the A.F.L. G.F. and it's never done their code any harm!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Care to explain where it's done our code any harm moving the GF to nights?

Ratings = up
Crowds = capacity bar this year, of which the AFL had the same occurence
Revenue = up

I'm sure if the groundswell to change it back was big enough, it would've happened by now.

Wests is Best

Juniors
What is the NRL going to do about the clash with the Bathurst 1000 next year? Hopefully the NRL will move the Grand Final back to the last Sunday in September and a 3:00pm kickoff, as it always was, and always should be!

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Timmah said:
Saturday night sounds fine... although I do believe there's only a couple of states who have school the Monday morning anyway... deadset though, it's an event on the NSW sporting calendar. Sure it's a National Rugby League but the event is in Sydney. Either way it's rated better since it went to nights than it ever did during the day, and only once did it not have a near-capacity crowd since then.

TIMMAH FFS... NSW event? :roll: MELB outrated sydney, Bris matched it with half the population... and youve got 4 million in NZ who never get a chance to watch it because of monday morning work, fair enough abt school... but ppl like to have a few :alcho: during a GF and they dont like to have some before the big day at work... it would turn alot pf ppl off.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Timmah said:
Care to explain where it's done our code any harm moving the GF to nights?

Where did I say that it's done the game any harm? It just sh*ts me that the traditional Sunday afternoon family feel of the Rugby League Grand Final has been p*ssed away for T.V. ratings. Why do we have to keep changing things in this great game of ours?

Timmah said:
Crowds = capacity bar this year, of which the AFL had the same occurence

I think you'll find that before the N.R.L. Grand Final was a 7:00pm Kickoff it was played at Aussie Stadium as Telstra was not yet built. Aussie has half the capacity of Telstra Stadium.

Timmah said:
I'm sure if the groundswell to change it back was big enough, it would've happened by now.

The General feeling I get is that the majority of people want it changed back to an afternoon timeslot.

Simo

First Grade
Pantherjim said:
I think you'll find that before the N.R.L. Grand Final was a 7:00pm Kickoff it was played at Aussie Stadium as Telstra was not yet built. Aussie has half the capacity of Telstra Stadium.

Not true. Tesltra stadium (or stadium Australia) was used for the GF with a 3pm kickoff in 1999 (Melb v St Ill 107,999) and 2000 (east v Bris 96,000) and moved to the night time slot of around 8ish for the 2001 Newc v Parra game and them to the 7ish from then on.

Aussie Stadium was last used for Bris V Cant in 1998.

Nickeel

Juniors
Are not all the three Origin games played on a weeknight? People like a party and a :alcho: or four when watching those, as well, and there is definitely work the following morning.

Nick

icewind

Juniors
yeh but the passion of both states are on the line with origin. gf football is between two out of 15 clubs, so like it or not theres less passion as a whole involved in a gf than an origin.

Pantherjim.

Referee
no.2_lukeburt said:
ratings say different mate.l

Ratings aren't necessarily a good indicator of public opinion though. i.e. I'll still watch a night time Grand Final on the box, however just because I choose to do so doesn't mean that I don't think it should be switched back to an afternoon time slot.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Simo said:
Not true. Tesltra stadium (or stadium Australia) was used for the GF with a 3pm kickoff in 1999 (Melb v St Ill 107,999) and 2000 (east v Bris 96,000) and moved to the night time slot of around 8ish for the 2001 Newc v Parra game and them to the 7ish from then on.

Aussie Stadium was last used for Bris V Cant in 1998.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Azkatro said:
Plus, how weird would a day Origin game be?

True, but now you know how wierd it feels to have a Sunday night Grand Final for us traditionalists.

I went to both 1991 and 2003 Grand Finals, THe 1991 G.F. was played during the afternoon at Aussie Stadium, the 2003 G.F. was played under lights on Sunday Night. Maybe I'm too easy to please, but I seriously couldn't tell the difference in terms of "atmosphere" between both G.F.'s I was equally ecstatic at the end of both games. The only difference between the two, was that after the 91 G.F. I went home, had a G.F. barbecue with the family, endulged in a bit of under age intoxication (I was 17 at the time) but due to the timing of Kick-off and post match cellebrations, I was right for School the next morning.

In contrast, after the 2003 G.F. I caught the train home to Penrith from Olympic park, drove home, walked to Panthers, indulged in post G.F. cellebrations, stumbled home at 3:00am and called in sick for work the next morning.

Simo

First Grade
Nickeel said:
Are not all the three Origin games played on a weeknight? People like a party and a :alcho: or four when watching those, as well, and there is definitely work the following morning.

Nick

On Thurdays morning this year I wish it was only 4! My wallet and head lent more towards 10+ though! (5 bucks a beer what a fuggin rip off!)