What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Old dog

Bench
Never really rated Cant too small for a fwd not fast or agile enough for a back and his tackling is poor, can’t understand the signing, especially two years. We have better 2nd rowers in Cup who are still eligible for Flegg and will likely be even better next year.
And all this talk of Cap space and likely ext signing of Croker and Jones B and Hetherington staying

perverse

Referee
Ben Hornby would give Chad Townsend a run for most average have in recent memory to win a Premiership - he did have Soward, possibly the best boot in the game at the time
Not possibly, I'd say *comfortably* the best boot in the game at the time and one of the form players of the competition. Boyd had a lot to do with it as well, but Hornby was an honest player that played a bit of Origin and for his country at least once too. Not a flashy or typical halfback perhaps, but a high quality player in his own right. A strong contributor and Dragons club legend.

But yeah, you need class in the halves to win a comp, I guess is the point. There's no shortcut or easy option for it, at least that's what history generally says is the rule. We don't have much class in our halves, and it's not easy to identify where we'll find it before Ponga is over the hill either. Pryce is very rough and raw, but as things stand at the moment he's our best shot in the next 12-24 months.

We won't get him, but if we're fair dinkum we'll be throwing all the weight we can muster behind an offer to Sam Walker. It won't surprise me one bit if Sam ends up signing the biggest deal in NRL history next year, such is the desperation across the comp for a class halfback.

perverse

Referee
Crossland is young and could develop into a class player/good enough.
I can't see it personally, but he keeps pushing through the glass ceilings I put above him in my mind so who knows. What he does have, and no-one can take away from him, is heart.... and whilst ever rugby league is a sport of physicality, endurance and attrition - it's a quality that can carry you far.

We won't get him, but if we're fair dinkum we'll be throwing all the weight we can muster behind an offer to Sam Walker. It won't surprise me one bit if Sam ends up signing the biggest deal in NRL history next year, such is the desperation across the comp for a class halfback.
won't happen, he'll re-sign at the Roosters for half the money and pride.

perverse

Referee
won't happen, he'll re-sign at the Roosters for half the money and pride.
Maybe. Expect Brisbane to go all-in too. He's infinitely more likely to go to either of them, but regardless of all of that you've gotta be in the fight. Ponga wouldn't be here if we folded without trying. Pearce never would have come (and let's leave the Pearce discourse out of it y'all, I'm talking recruitment and optics, not on-field contribution).

We can't just say he won't come and not try. Yes, have a backup plan, and a backup plan for that backup plan and pursue all of those avenues, but if we don't go hard for Walker then we're not even trying to be successful. We can be cynics all we like (and I love being cynical), but we have to at least try to be successful.

Yosh

Coach
Crossland looks like a great 14. His dummy half work is still the worst in the NRL. Serviceable but not adding anything to the team in attack.

He can play 6,7,9,13 and probably over for an injured centre as well. Perfect 14.

Rod

Bench
Going back a bit now but Shane Perry was another of those halves, and lest we forget Sean Rudder.

Of all the talk about our overpaid guys I think Hetherington is the biggest error we made salary-cap wise. The others are at least defensible at the time they were signed, but when we signed Hetherington he was basically a walking suspension and needed a career lifeline. For what we're paying him and he barely even plays, it's the worst one for me.