What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone or threaten to leave comp

Johnny88

Juniors
JAMES HOOPER
<LI class="source " abp="1555">From: The Sunday Telegraph
SOME of the most powerful figures in rugby league have floated the idea of a breakaway 12-team competition in a bid to oust NRL CEO Dave Smith.
Last week’s TV negotiations, which saw Fox Sports and Telstra cut out of the deal, is the latest in a growing list of frustrations they have with Mr Smith and Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman John Grant.
The new competition would be made up by the 12 clubs, whose NRL participation agreements end at the conclusion of the 2017 season.
Of those 12, four are leading the rebel league discussions with the goal of getting Mr Smith and Mr Grant torpedoed out of office.
Under the radical proposal the four clubs currently being propped up by the NRL – Wests Tigers, St &shy;George Illawarra, Newcastle and Gold Coast – would be left out of the new competition.
The push has been discussed among some of the most influential figures in rugby league who remain furious at a range of NRL decisions, including cutting key stakeholders Fox Sports and Telstra out of the TV negotiations.
Their anger was intensified after News Corp and the Seven Network partnered to give the AFL a record $2.5 billion television deal.

The inconsistencies from the NRL match review committee and the judiciary in &shy;relation to the shoulder charges are also a key concern of the powerbrokers, as well as the multi-million dollar blow-out of executive salaries and the number of staff employed since Smith was appointed at the start of 2013.

An email sent last week &shy;detailing how the 12-team breakaway competition would be structured, with the prospect of additional teams being added in Brisbane and Perth to make a 14-team competition.
In order for the NRL clubs to pass a vote of no-confidence in the ARL Commission they need a 75 per cent vote from the 16 existing clubs. The breakaway scenario &shy;remains highly unlikely but &shy;illustrates the current level of discontent with the NRL head office.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl-re...eave-competition/story-fnaqgujp-1227494555625

Johnny88

Juniors
12 team comp sounds ok with 24 rounds than expand to Brisbane and Perth. I guess the clubs have the power are they bluffing or serious?

alien

Referee
12 team comp sounds ok with 24 rounds than expand to Brisbane and Perth. I guess the clubs have the power are they bluffing or serious?

if it was to be a 12 team comp, then it would be 22 rounds (play the other 11 teams twice)

sretsoor

Juniors
Lol, didn't take long for the News cronies to start spewing forth tales of a breakaway league once again because they're being forced out by the current NRL admin and tv rights negotiations, I expect these articles to appear weekly now to weaken the code so Rupert gets his way! Stay strong NRL, beat the cancer once and for all!!

alien

Referee
Ever considered this is just crap being made up?

yeah i considered that it might be. i also considered that there might be 4 clubs who want a rebel comp if the people in power stay in power

t-ba

Post Whore
LoL.

It is all over the place? Rebel comp will launch itself through a vote of no confidence at the commission? Will reduce the amount of content despite the fact that will reduce the value of a deal? Cutting a brand as powerful as Saints but keeping small clubs like Manly, Penrith and Cronulla in this comp? Absolutely nothing adds up. The ARLC should basically force News to fire everyone who is doing shill work for them if they do eventually cut a deal with them.

undertaker

Coach

Everything you need to know about this article can be best summarised by the bolded part of the last sentence (which conveys the degree of sensationalism exhibited by James Hooper):

The breakaway scenario *remains highly unlikely but *illustrates the current level of discontent with the NRL head office

Journalism fail FTW!:lol:

On a serious note though, how the hell do guys like Hooper get a job as a journalist, let alone manage to score gigs on all these RL programs such as The Footy Show, Sterlo etc.?

Last edited:

Johnny88

Juniors
Well there is a lot of Dave Smith stories for a Sunday, Mabe there will be a special NRL360 episode to interview the 4 main players pushing this :lol: . I guess until they get quotes from the unhappy clubs then its pure speculation.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I love how there are exactly 12 unhappy teams, so disgruntled theyre ready for a breakaway comp. The exact percentage needed for a vote of no confidence. f**king lol

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I love how there are exactly 12 unhappy teams, so disgruntled theyre ready for a breakaway comp. The exact percentage needed for a vote of no confidence. f**king lol

Actually, its exactly 12 teams because 4 have signed long term licences with the NRL and 12 havent.

That is literally all they are going on.