1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone or threaten to leave comp

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Johnny88, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Johnny88

Johnny88 Juniors

JAMES HOOPER
    <LI class="source " abp="1555">From: The Sunday Telegraph
    SOME of the most powerful figures in rugby league have floated the idea of a breakaway 12-team competition in a bid to oust NRL CEO Dave Smith.
    Last week’s TV negotiations, which saw Fox Sports and Telstra cut out of the deal, is the latest in a growing list of frustrations they have with Mr Smith and Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman John Grant.
    The new competition would be made up by the 12 clubs, whose NRL participation agreements end at the conclusion of the 2017 season.
    Of those 12, four are leading the rebel league discussions with the goal of getting Mr Smith and Mr Grant torpedoed out of office.
    Under the radical proposal the four clubs currently being propped up by the NRL – Wests Tigers, St &shy;George Illawarra, Newcastle and Gold Coast – would be left out of the new competition.
    The push has been discussed among some of the most influential figures in rugby league who remain furious at a range of NRL decisions, including cutting key stakeholders Fox Sports and Telstra out of the TV negotiations.
    Their anger was intensified after News Corp and the Seven Network partnered to give the AFL a record $2.5 billion television deal.

The inconsistencies from the NRL match review committee and the judiciary in &shy;relation to the shoulder charges are also a key concern of the powerbrokers, as well as the multi-million dollar blow-out of executive salaries and the number of staff employed since Smith was appointed at the start of 2013.

An email sent last week &shy;detailing how the 12-team breakaway competition would be structured, with the prospect of additional teams being added in Brisbane and Perth to make a 14-team competition.
    In order for the NRL clubs to pass a vote of no-confidence in the ARL Commission they need a 75 per cent vote from the 16 existing clubs. The breakaway scenario &shy;remains highly unlikely but &shy;illustrates the current level of discontent with the NRL head office.
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl-re...eave-competition/story-fnaqgujp-1227494555625

2. Chief_Chujo

Chief_Chujo Bench

3. Johnny88

Johnny88 Juniors

12 team comp sounds ok with 24 rounds than expand to Brisbane and Perth. I guess the clubs have the power are they bluffing or serious?

4. alien

alien Referee

if it was to be a 12 team comp, then it would be 22 rounds (play the other 11 teams twice)

5. sretsoor

sretsoor Juniors

Lol, didn't take long for the News cronies to start spewing forth tales of a breakaway league once again because they're being forced out by the current NRL admin and tv rights negotiations, I expect these articles to appear weekly now to weaken the code so Rupert gets his way! Stay strong NRL, beat the cancer once and for all!!

6. alien

alien Referee

surely there wouldn't be another super league war . . .

7. I Bleed Maroon

I Bleed Maroon Referee

I think it's far more likely this is a typical media beat up than anything actually tangible.

8. alien

alien Referee

so who are the four 4 clubs leading the rebel league discussions???

9. t-ba

t-ba Immortal

Glebe
    University
    Adelaide
    Valleys

Ever considered this is just crap being made up?

10. Card Shark

Card Shark Immortal

Just check out the author to know it's crap.

11. I Bleed Maroon

I Bleed Maroon Referee

And the primary source is Newscorp.

If anyone actually believes this crap, they need help.

12. alien

alien Referee

yeah i considered that it might be. i also considered that there might be 4 clubs who want a rebel comp if the people in power stay in power

13. TimmyB

TimmyB Juniors

James Hooper you shill. You whore. What a disgrace.

14. t-ba

t-ba Immortal

LoL.

It is all over the place? Rebel comp will launch itself through a vote of no confidence at the commission? Will reduce the amount of content despite the fact that will reduce the value of a deal? Cutting a brand as powerful as Saints but keeping small clubs like Manly, Penrith and Cronulla in this comp? Absolutely nothing adds up. The ARLC should basically force News to fire everyone who is doing shill work for them if they do eventually cut a deal with them.

15. undertaker

undertaker Coach

Everything you need to know about this article can be best summarised by the bolded part of the last sentence (which conveys the degree of sensationalism exhibited by James Hooper):

Journalism fail FTW!:lol:

On a serious note though, how the hell do guys like Hooper get a job as a journalist, let alone manage to score gigs on all these RL programs such as The Footy Show, Sterlo etc.?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  16. Johnny88

Johnny88 Juniors

Well there is a lot of Dave Smith stories for a Sunday, Mabe there will be a special NRL360 episode to interview the 4 main players pushing this :lol: . I guess until they get quotes from the unhappy clubs then its pure speculation.

17. Chief_Chujo

Chief_Chujo Bench

I love how there are exactly 12 unhappy teams, so disgruntled theyre ready for a breakaway comp. The exact percentage needed for a vote of no confidence. f**king lol

18. reanimate

reanimate Bench

Damn those dirty reds, I knew it had to be them.

19. t-ba

t-ba Immortal

Mt Albert are also involved.

20. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Actually, its exactly 12 teams because 4 have signed long term licences with the NRL and 12 havent.

That is literally all they are going on.