What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone or threaten to leave comp

Perth Red

Post Whore
Check out the Pirates Facebook page the backlash has begun. I Usually buy around ten tickets and drag mates along with me to try and get them interested but f**k that now! Should be thankful, NRL has just saved me a few thousand $'s next year.

kbw

Bench
oh and apparently Robert Finch is now being brought on board, more money for dead weight mates. May as well give it to him instead of actually funding some country RL

insert.pause

First Grade
He said he had a vision for a national competition. If that is new clubs or relocation is irrelevant, the Richo plan has nothing in it so far about how this goal of a national competition will be reached.
Smith always said expansion can come in many forms and at one point even cited the Nines as an example. All the bid teams rejoiced when he announced his resignation believing they stood a greater chance with someone else as CEO. The current clubs were always his priority & he was never a proponent for new sides in the NRL as you claim in your conspiracy theory.

insert.pause

First Grade
oh and apparently Robert Finch is now being brought on board, more money for dead weight mates. May as well give it to him instead of actually funding some country RL

But Robert Finch is 'rugby league people'...

I agree hes dead weight though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He was a proponent of the competition having a national footprint, he stated it himself. Then something changed, Richo the same. What changed?

My view is 10 years down the track. We'll have a national footprint, a stronger national competition. I'm not sure if that will be one competition or more than one. The game matters to all Australians and it doesn't have to be as eastern seaboard-focused in the longer term.

"The bigger the expansion the better it is for the TV networks. I think Western Australia deserves a side, we need another team in South-East Queensland and New Zealand is crying out for another team.

"The opportunities there in the next media deal are huge. I think we can make some good decisions fairly quickly."

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Don't forget the mighty sports of baseball, water polo and hockey who all manage to have a Perth team in their national comp lol. In fact every prof sport has a team in Perth except one. I'll let you guess who the one is! As I said better they stay where they are until they get people in charge who have the ability to take our game to where it could be.

it helps that they actually have local players to draw from, rugby league has very little, that should be the priority, not an NRL club.

So in summary, the Welsh Banker was a liar, and the stooges who hired and fired him are not willing or capable of growing the sport.

Translate that into whatever spin you like.

El Diablo

Post Whore
He was a proponent of the competition having a national footprint, he stated it himself. Then something changed, Richo the same. What changed?

how many times and in how many topics are you going to post those quotes?

you've already done it twice today in this thread and attributed the same quote to two different people

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=11270584&postcount=1106

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=11271606&postcount=1125

Last edited:
Once again, insularity of rugby league strikes again the NRL clubs had decades to get it together while expansion in put on whole to appease the clubs who time and time again fail to run a professional sporting club with any semblance of competence.

There should be money invested into developing the game nation-wide and not just satisfying the 'heartlands'. To think all the other codes have teams in WA/SA but not rugby league shows how insular and backwards the NRL has become. All other sporting codes strive for a national footprint while the NRL is about the insular, inward footprint thus stunting any potential growth.

gallagher

Juniors
Once again, insularity of rugby league strikes again the NRL clubs had decades to get it together while expansion in put on whole to appease the clubs who time and time again fail to run a professional sporting club with any semblance of competence.

There should be money invested into developing the game nation-wide and not just satisfying the 'heartlands'. To think all the other codes have teams in WA/SA but not rugby league shows how insular and backwards the NRL has become. All other sporting codes strive for a national footprint while the NRL is about the insular, inward footprint thus stunting any potential growth.

In fairness, we only turned pro 107 years ago. You can see that water Polo and women's cricket had the jump on us.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Just about every sport I can think of is globalising rapidly, except rugby league. Its either act now or be consigned to the dustbin of history at some point down the road.

Latest posts