What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rich List: The winners and losers from rugby league’s financial arms race

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

NRL Rich List: The winners and losers from rugby league’s financial arms race​

DRAGONS
Half-owned by St George Leagues Club and WIN Corporation. The St George side of the partnership is thriving with the Leagues Club making a $7 million after tax profit and have plans to continue with its rejuvenation of its precinct. WIN recorded a net profit of $8.3 million and is owned by billionaire Bruce Gordon.

Dragons4me

Juniors
All the rich financial backers of the so-called rich clubs were mentioned (earning a rating of $$$$). No mention though of Australia's second richest person in Twiggy, who has begun to financially support the Dragons (earning a rating of $$$).
More fluff in this article than my belly button (and that's saying something)!

TheRev

First Grade
I think its more about how that money can magically translate into outside perks for players to convince them to come play (and do it for less)... in theory we have WIN and Twiggy behind us now.. but that doesnt necessarily equate to any 'spare cash' coming our way or player perks... it requires a rich guy with a big brain who really wants to see the club succeed, an is willing to give personally to make it a reality.

Dragon David

First Grade
If you were a multi billionaire and you loved the Dragons, like really love them which I'm sure there are many out there, wouldn't you think that he or she would arrange a way of rewarding players with plenty of incentives, like an attractive third party deal, to come join the club.

I would do everything in my power to do this, if I was a multi billionaire. Surely we must have some rich buggers who are Dragons fanatics or are they just too miserly to cough up any of their riches?

Ben Hunt has been the only one that you could say was the last guy to get a great deal to join us and that was in 2018 a whopping 6 years ago. I know our cap was a fair bit tight some years ago and that we couldn't splash out the dough and we just signed many rejects and journeymen, and now that we do have some decent coin in the coffers, no-one of any greatness really is available or no-one still wants to join us. How in hell then are we going to get these better props and backs that we need in 2025 etc? The carrot is hanging but no-one wants to take the lure.

Ben Hunt wanted out and possibly still does and Lomax wants out as well. So we have the problem of reasonable players wanting out which then sets alarm bells ringing for outside players saying if they want out, we don't want to go in.

Recruitment at the Dragons is just plain bloody hard for the guys you really want.

John moz

Juniors
Start buying marquee players need a complete new spine no1 no 6 no 9 open the cheque book if we have billion dollar men at the club .

Draginzaaar

Bench
All the rich financial backers of the so-called rich clubs were mentioned (earning a rating of $$$$). No mention though of Australia's second richest person in Twiggy, who has begun to financially support the Dragons (earning a rating of $$$).
More fluff in this article than my belly button (and that's saying something)!
He just owns the company that is Sponsoring us. He's not a backer.