What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL season structure

siv

First Grade
NRL Comp today is 24 rounds plus 3 bye weekends for all teams

I suggest we start 1 week earlier and have

24 rounds plus 2 fortnights of rep weekends

Rep Fortnight 1 - (last 2 weekends of May) 4 weekends in between
Rep Fortnight 2 - (first 2 weekends of July)

Rep Weekend 1 - Sydney City v NSW Country & Brisbane City v QLD Country
Rep Weekend 2 - SOO I

Rep Weekend 3 - SOO II
Rep Weekend 4 - SOO III

Then you can play a 4 Team Tier 1 Pacific Cup in parallel (NZ, PNG, Tonga, Fiji)

And a 4 Team Tier 1 Euro Cup in parallel (England, Wales, France, Lebanon)

BuffaloRules

Coach
This year was slightly different - the drop off wasn't as bad between R5 & Origin. It does seem that the Origin dropoff is worse than before though.

Do you put any of the dropoff down to the appalling weather over the past 8 weeks or so, or is it just due to Origin apathy?

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think people are way over estimating the interest in Pacific Island games.

Us League desperadoes here will watch the games no doubt, but the general public will find it a bit meh.

Lets be honest, the article is another Slothfield beat up, and if they did change it, he would be writing columns criticising the NRL season bring suspended for Origin.

It's exactly what he did in respect of the fixed schedule. Complain when they dont have it, then complain when they do have it.

As much as we would like to strive for perfection with the season.structure, no system is going to deliver it.

Last edited:

kdalymc

Bench
If I was Greenberg I would be doing the 2 week origin break as of next year. At least 6 weeks of interruption Is a vast improvement on 9 while a proper solution is found.

Have a look at your calendar. It's a one week camp then a 6 week program, not 9.

2 weeks between games would give us a 4 week program

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Have a look at your calendar. It's a one week camp then a 6 week program, not 9.

2 weeks between games would give us a 4 week program

Agreed 2 weeks in between would be a good compromise. One thing is for sure the origin period is too long currently and something has to give for the good of the NRL.

Origin, 2 rounds, Origin, 2 rounds, Origin, sounds good to me. Cut it down to 1 bye in that period for each team. No monday night footy in round preceding origin as well, it is just stupid at the moment.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Do you put any of the dropoff down to the appalling weather over the past 8 weeks or so

Yeah. Round 5 I was wearing shorts and T shirts. Now it's atleast 1 jumper at all times. add to that less games teams moving games interstate. Some real shocking matchups on TV all contribute

DC_fan

Coach
We have a round of league this weekend that even allowing for the grand final replay is pretty ordinary. If the NRL wants people to show up at games or watch them on TV then they need to give us games that inspire us to attend or watch.

Australian sporting fans like big important events. Footballs World Cup qualifiers involving Australia and the Lions/Wallabies test series proved this. These matches had big crowds, full houses. And they had massive TV ratings. Yes we have State of Origin and Wednesdays game will rate very well and ANZ Stadium will be packed out. But that just proves my point. Australian sporting fans will attend and watch big events regardless the sport.

But at the same time we lose a little interest in events that that we consider second rate. Since State of Origin started this season it's like the NRL competition has been forgotten about. Fans, media and the even the NRL seem to be more concerned with Origin.

Tonight we in the NRL we have Brisbane playing Cronulla. I don't know about you but there is nothing about that game that inspires me to watch. Over on GEM we have the Ashes cricket series on. I know which sport I will be watching tonight.

It will be interesting to see the ratings for the league and the cricket tonight. Really would not surprise me if the cricket won that battle.

goldbags

Juniors
There is a lot of talk about having State of Origin on a stand alone weekend at the moment. If that was to be the case, I have an idea which could help the broadcast partners giving them two live games on each of these weekends and also help international rugby league.
If State of Origin was played over three consecutive weekends then each state could name a squad (perhaps 23 players) before they go into camp. With no NRL games being played over these three weekends, you could also play an international tri series (which doesn't feature Australia) and have it run at the same time. Each of the countries involved in the tri series would also pick their squads at the same time and would have all of their best players available which hasn't always been the case in the past. All other NRL players would stay with their clubs and continue training or doing development clinics in regional areas etc.
You could have an international game on the Friday night as well State or Origin on the Sunday afternoon/evening (or the reverse pending what is better for the broadcasters). You could have teams such as New Zealand, Tonga and Samoa playing each other in a round robin series (three games so the same length as the State or Origin) being played at the same time. This would help other international countries play more games and hopefully lead to more players playing for their countries of birth, and could also lead to an increase in value of sponsorship for these countries and additional sales of their merchandise. Teams could qualify for this "international tri series" so it could give other countries such as Fiji and PNG and Cook Islands the chance to play in some bigger games. Some of these other countries that are not part of the tri series could even play some of these games during this "representative period".

It could look something like the below:

Week One:
Friday - Tonga vs Samoa @ Allianz or Parramatta or Penrith
Sunday - NSW vs QLD @ ANZ Stadium

Week Two:
Friday - NZ vs Samoa @ Gold Coast
Sunday - NSW vs QLD @ Suncorp Stadium

Week Three:
Friday - NZ vs Tonga @ Auckland or somewhere else in NZ
Sunday - NSW vs QLD @ ANZ Stadium

In week one and two, the international game would be played in the same city as state of origin. It would provide a big weekend of rugby league in that city and ticketing could be worked out in such a way that there could be a package for people to attend both games. The third international game could be played overseas as that would help promote the game in different regions, while also allowing the city where the final origin game is being played to have all the attention on the game which could potentially be a decider.
If something like the above was to be adopted, it would also avoid the split rounds and stop games such as the Bulldogs and Storm being robbed of some of its biggest stars. Under the current system it can be a good thing for your NRL club if players are not picked for State of Origin. While it wouldn't even out the NRL competition, it would be a start.
Just an idea....

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It definitely has legs IMO

I wouldn't restrict it to just one PI test each week though, have a Pacific Cup up for grabs between PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and have NZ play some Auckland vs the rest thing over there. There's a lot of potential.

ie:
Weekend 1
Auckland vs Rest @ Auckland Friday
Fiji vs PNG @ Townsville Sat
Samoa vs Tonga @ Parra Sat
Origin 1 @ Sydney Sun

Weekend 2
Auckland vs Rest @ Wellington Fri
Tonga vs PNG @ Mackay Sat
Fiji vs Samoa @ Gold Coast Sat
Origin 2 @ Brisbane Sun

Weekend 3
Auckland vs Rest @ Auckland Fri
PNG vs Samoa @ Cairns Sat
Fiji vs Tonga @ Coffs Sat
Origin 3 @ Sydney Sun

Fire

First Grade
tl;dr

but I know Origin is off contract (for the TV rights bullshit) this year.

Stand alone weekend please.

Three weekends of SOO in a row please.

Thank you.

Please come again.

franklin2323

Immortal
People that are for the games 3 weeks in arow. Tell me this: Would SOO be as good with players out?

Smith, Farah, Maloney, Gallen, Lewis probably others I have forgotten. Missed more then a week after an Origin game in the new structure they miss Origin instead of a bye or who ever they play.

I know I would rather watch full strength Origin rather then Full strength club sides.

POPEYE

Coach
People that are for the games 3 weeks in arow. Tell me this: Would SOO be as good with players out?

Smith, Farah, Maloney, Gallen, Lewis probably others I have forgotten. Missed more then a week after an Origin game in the new structure they miss Origin instead of a bye or who ever they play.

I know I would rather watch full strength Origin rather then Full strength club sides.

Therein lies the problem, people have to decide now what they want, Origin or a fair Rugby League season which includes record books that mean something, Grand Finals that are arrived at unconditionally, clubs that are interested spending their time nurturing talent of Origin level. Ironic that this selfishness is easily avoidable.

Btw, I sincerely hope that you are in the minority

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Therein lies the problem, people have to decide now what they want, Origin or a fair Rugby League season which includes record books that mean something, Grand Finals that are arrived at unconditionally, clubs that are interested spending their time nurturing talent of Origin level. Ironic that this selfishness is easily avoidable.

Btw, I sincerely hope that you are in the minority

I can see Cronk, Slater and co play club footy for 20 weeks in the Season I can only watch Origin 3 games a year. Sure Storm got smashed Yesterday but come finals I can see them full strength so a few games mid season don't mean as much.

Keeps all commercial parties happy just need to better plan the draw. You know atleas 25 or so of the 34 that will play SOO the next year. So don't match those teams up during this period pretty easy to do really.

Even as it stands now Parra and Dragons would put up with Cronk, Smith and Slater missing a few games due to Origin. They would make of for it the rest of the season.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
I can see Cronk, Slater and co play club footy for 20 weeks in the Season I can only watch Origin 3 games a year. Sure Storm got smashed Yesterday but come finals I can see them full strength so a few games mid season don't mean as much.

Keeps all commercial parties happy just need to better plan the draw. You know atleas 25 or so of the 34 that will play SOO the next year. So don't match those teams up during this period pretty easy to do really.

Even as it stands now Parra and Dragons would put up with Cronk, Smith and Slater missing a few games due to Origin. They would make of for it the rest of the season.

So you wouldn't mind if Melbourne said to the big three that enough is enough, new sponsors now and you blokes have done enough for your State and Country. On top of that Melbourne asked Bellamy to look for overseas or Origin ineligible players to nurture. Souths could look to bring more English players out as well, Hasler has shown the way. Your outlook on Rugby League is abyssmal

franklin2323

Immortal
So you wouldn't mind if Melbourne said to the big three that enough is enough, new sponsors now and you blokes have done enough for your State and Country. On top of that Melbourne asked Bellamy to look for overseas or Origin ineligible players to nurture. Souths could look to bring more English players out as well, Hasler has shown the way. Your outlook on Rugby League is abyssmal

So no other club would want those big 3? Players want to play origin. The NYC made teams need to develop local talent aswell they will go to any of the other clubs.

My outlook on Rugby League :lol::lol:. I think it's fine the way it is now. I didn't make the rules nor make channel 9 need RL for their channel.

If 9 says we will change it but we pay less for the TV rights. Given Channel 7 thought it was worth $200m say half that. Is it worth taking the less money?

Tell me this are the top 3 on the ladder now after Origin the best 3 teams in the comp? Yes. So we aren't making the top teams rubbish through Origin.

Last edited: